Halo 3 Recon: The "Final Statement"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Halo 3 Recon: The "Final Statement"

Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/Projects/whvidldshbyjsdo/default.aspx] says it will be their "final statement" on the Halo trilogy.

In an interview with Halo 3 [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=256303&page=1]," although it will offer "a lot of value" despite being shorter than a standard release. "There will be a lot of replayability as well; we have tons of new Achievements, four-player co-op, all the social features we had in Halo 3. It's a standalone disc as well, so you won't have to have Halo 3 to experience Recon."

Jarrard also explained that while the initial Halo 3 Recon press release said players would need to employ "stealth and cunning," the statement referred to the fact that the central character was an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper rather than an enhanced Spartan trooper. "It's not to be confused with the stealth genre. This is certainly not a Splinter Cell [http://www.splintercell.com/]; this is definitely Halo," he said. "I believe what that particular release is getting at, is playing as an ODST rather than an indestructible Master Chief super-soldier, there will be some different tactics to employ. It will feel familiar, but it is going to be a different gameplay experience."

And while fanboys will no doubt be clamoring for more, Jarrard said in another interview with GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bungie-recon-is-our-last-halo-project] that Halo 3 Recon would be Bungie's "final statement" on the Halo trilogy. "We've already put a couple of map packs out, we do have more maps on the way. We actually have a Mythic map pack coming out early next year. We don't have firm details or a date yet, but we do have one more map pack coming out, and then we do have some maps associated with the actual Recon retail release," he said. "But I think when this project wraps up in a couple of months that will be the time when that team moves on to something else - part of that team will move on to something else and part of them will probably be absorbed into one of the other projects that are already on the way."

Despite that, Bungie won't be walking away from Halo anytime soon. "Obviously apart from the retail products release we're updating the matchmaking playlist every month on Xbox Live [http://www.xbox.com/live/], we're adding fun 'Double XP Weekends' and we just rolled out a bunch of achievements that are all retroactive so people that bought our map packs previously now have about 250 new gamer points to go and achieve," Jarrard continued. "So it's fan service for us - the audience is there, they demand it, we're still having fun with it, so we're just going to keep going for as long as we can."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Not a full length game, but a separate disc.

Given the length of bungie's 'full games' this is something of a kick in the balls. Who's taking bets at an average player clearing the game in 4hours or less?
I'll bet they charge full price for it too.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to it. The idea of playing as a distinctly vulnerable character is interesting. The only gameplay worry I have is that they will find some way to shoe-horn recharging health and the flood into the story.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"a lot of value" despite being shorter than a standard release.
So what, a two hour campaign?

Here Bungie had the opportunity to rectify the Halo 3 campaign length farce and make an actual, long and interesting storyline and they've just gone and shat all over it.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Last Halo game Bungie will make? Hope its a good send off.

Next Halo Game after Recon: "MGS and Rare have launched their latest game Perfect Dark Halo"

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.73684.804389 said:
Last Halo game Bungie will make? Hope its a good send off.

Next Halo Game after Recon: "MGS and Rare have launched their latest game Perfect Dark Halo"
yeh, this being the last game is unlikely. I thought Halo 3 was the final sendoff and there would be no more. altho i cant blame then, releasing these little things will prob rake them in billions...i think ill give this and halo wars a miss, people need to try a new franchise for a change.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Features (or lack thereof) that will be a must in this game (to actually make it consistant with the others):

No duel-wielding

Health bars instead of shields (I will kneel at their feet if they do this)

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I think this game will take forever to beat, cause people will jump on going "WOOO ONE MAN ARMY!" Forgetting you're not the chief, you're just some crappy human

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malygris post=7.73684.804307 said:
Halo 3 Recon would be Bungie's "final statement" on the Halo trilogy.
It had better be, I want them to move on to something else for their own sake. Maybe a new Marathon game or a completely new IP, I don't care if it's exclusive to the 360 or something, just branch out a little Bungie.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Translation: We don't want to make this shit anymore. Microsoft tried to make us so we had a nasty breakup and they got to keep the house. Leave us alone while we drink a fifth of jack and hit on a waitress.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Mmmmm. As long they deliver.

DamienHell post=7.73684.804680 said:
I think this game will take forever to beat, cause people will jump on going "WOOO ONE MAN ARMY!" Forgetting you're not the chief, you're just some crappy human

Have to agree. I wonder, how it will live up online?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.73684.805349 said:
Translation: We don't want to make this shit anymore. Microsoft tried to make us so we had a nasty breakup and they got to keep the house. Leave us alone while we drink a fifth of jack and hit on a waitress.
Not quite. See, you've got it almost right, but you left out the fact that Microsoft is gonna come back with a diamond ring and the promise of Halo 4 and how things will be different this time. Yes, Halo 3 Recon is the last in the trilogy.

But what happens if they make it a Quadrilogy? Technically, they wouldn't be lying then :p

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Amnestic post=7.73684.805428 said:
TsunamiWombat post=7.73684.805349 said:
Not quite. See, you've got it almost right, but you left out the fact that Microsoft is gonna come back with a diamond ring and the promise of Halo 4 and how things will be different this time. Yes, Halo 3 Recon is the last in the trilogy.

But what happens if they make it a Quadrilogy? Technically, they wouldn't be lying then :p
And Bungie will forget all about their black eye and maxed out credit cards because Microsoft "really loves them"

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
There's still Halo: Chronicles and Halo Wars in development so it's not like Microsoft can't milk the franchise outside Bungie's original trilogy.

Anyway, I am a bit taken-aback about it being a seperate disc and at the same time being a shorter game... and with the legions of Halo fans out there, I'm sure that's enough for them to justify (to themselves) charging full price.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
If they charge full price... well, lets say they will lose sales, but of course, it's Halo we're talking about here.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Despite the pessimistic feelings I do hold... I am kinda psyched for it. I am a halo fan to a degree atleast, despite the f ups they have had in the more recent past.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
I hope(being a bungie fan) this will make up for halo 2's idea of defending earth from invaders, while being in the heart of the alien capital(if we can get to their home why are we so screwed), and then they can work on marathon or something and let master chief float off into the abyss.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Codgo post=7.73684.804391 said:
4 player co-op with a strong focus on teamplay and tactics huh? This sounds very familiar to something else coming soon, i wonder where they got the idea.
You think Left 4 Dead copied Halo 3?

Amnestic post=7.73684.804371 said:
So what, a two hour campaign?
I estimate 5-8 hours, most reviewers agree (and you can look this up if you want) that Halo 3's campaign is 12-16 hours long. Which is actually about the length of Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign as well, although it's slightly shorter than Halo 2's.

And basically when they say that "this is our last word on the Halo trilogy" they really mean: "at this time we either have no plans to continue work on the storyline of Halo 1,2, and 3 or are not ready to announce such plans at this time." Just so you know, Bungie's not above lying for the sake of secrecy.

Random argument man post=7.73684.805370 said:
Have to agree. I wonder, how it will live up online?
Apparently Halo 3: Recon will have the same multiplayer as Halo 3 and be compatible with it. Although new maps (including the Mythic Map Pack set to be released early 2009) and possibly other multiplayer content will be bundled with the game. Along with that Bungie says that Halo 3: Recon's campaign will have 1000 gamerscore worth of achievements associated with it and also achievements in multiplayer that will add to Halo 3's gamerscore.