Gears of War 3 Goes 3D

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gears of War 3 Goes 3D

The upcoming Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6G790/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313435067&sr=8-2] will support stereoscopic 3D, but at a slight cost in visual quality.

Microsoft may not have quite the same level of commitment to 3D gaming as Sony does with its PlayStation 3 but the technology is there and when the question of whether or not to put it to use in the upcoming Gears of War 3 came up, the answer, according to Fergusson, was quite simply, why not?

"It felt like something we wanted to have. It was a feature we didn't want to be deficient in. When you look at Eurogamer [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRS9II/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313435199&sr=8-1]. "It's still fledgling technology. It's still a niche feature. But it was something we could support, so we felt, why not?"

Unlike the PS3, which outputs in full HDMI 1.4 stereoscopic 3D in the 1280x1470 framebuffer configuration, the 360 puts two distinct images into one 720p framebuffer. I have no idea what any of that gobbledegook nonsense means but the upshot is that the image quality in 3D will be slightly lower than in 2D. Fergusson described it as "a little big jaggier" in areas, saying, "Instead of 720p you're at five something."

"It's great. I love the qualities it provides, the window into a world. That's what the 3D gives you," he continued. "Having that depth of character, and being able to see that separation from the reticule and the creatures in the background - it's a different experience but it's a really good one."

Gears of War 3 - or, perhaps, Gears of War 3D - comes out on September 20, exclusively for the Xbox 360.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Brilliant, now I can feel like I can actually touch Fenix's hard rippling bod and not just have to look at the mass of meat all day.
Thanks Epic

Also, "Having that depth of character"

Never thought I hear those words used in an article about Gears of War.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Meh... Loss of quality comes with any sort of 3D.

I'll stick with standard HD.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Harr Harr Harr.

Oh well. So long as it's just an optional little feature and not a main in-your-face selling point, the overall product shouldn't suffer. Sorta like the voice commands in ME3.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Well, the same loss of quality applies to most 3D games, Playstation ones as well. Plus, when was the last time a PS3 (or 360) game actually outputted at full 720 or 1080 resolution, and not just upscaled to "look like HD".