Microsoft Might've Ditched Halo Multiplayer

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Microsoft Might've Ditched Halo Multiplayer

During the development of the original Halo, two Bungie developers had to convince Microsoft and Bungie's founders to keep one of the series' most popular selling points: multiplayer.

After Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie and the completion of Oni, the studio's lesser-known third person action game for the Playstation 2, both the San Jose and Chicago teams were combined to complete Halo for the launch of the Xbox.

Hardy LeBel, former Oni lead and Halo multiplayer designer, told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20533] that in order to finish before the deadline, features had to be cut, including multiplayer.

LeBel said, "When we got bought by Microsoft, Alex Seropian and Jason Jones, who were the two principals of Bungie, came to me and [former Bungie engineer and animator] Michael Evans, and said, 'Multiplayer is cut from Halo because we're trying to make it really work on the console and we just don't have the resources.'"

Understanding how important multiplayer could be, LeBel and Evans fought for its inclusion. "We threw a fit and were like, 'No way! You can't cut it! It's just too cool!' They said, 'We were hoping you'd say that -- because you two guys have to resurrect it.'"

Microsoft and Bungie should be thankful for the efforts of LeBel, Evans and their team members. Halo and its sequels become the most popular console LAN and Xbox LIVE games, helping sell hundreds of millions of dollars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/77605] worth of software and merchandise.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wait, so microsoft bought a developer, then tried to rush out their new game to make a quick buck. Presumably they would have closed down Bungie shortly after Halo fell on it's arse.

Why is it these huge companies can't see what's patently obvious to the rest of the world?

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.73696.804829 said:
Why is it these huge companies can't see what's patently obvious to the rest of the world?
The Halo hype before they were bought by MS was so huge (particularly amongst Mac users, who were shall we say slightly annoyed at how things went down) and the X-Box was such a risk as a PS2 compeditor that they needed Halo as close to launch as they could get it. It makes sense from a marketing point of view, even if it would not have been nearly as successful without the multiplayer improvements.

That being said, MS and Bungie made the right choice in the end and included the multiplayer, so in the end they got it.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Wait, so microsoft bought a developer, then tried to rush out their new game to make a quick buck. Presumably they would have closed down Bungie shortly after Halo fell on it's arse.

It was an RTS for a while... they wasted alot of time on that what did you expect ? "Hey launch title, add more stuff we still got fusion frenzy"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.73696.805197 said:
It was an RTS for a while... they wasted alot of time on that what did you expect ? "Hey launch title, add more stuff we still got fusion frenzy"
This may be a very dumb question but.

How many people actually buy a console for it's Launch titles? I always thought there was this assumption that anything out inside the first 6 months will be either hopelessly rushed or a shallow port of an existing game. Maybe one title will be worth keeping, but the rest will be lining bargain bins as quickly as they are forgotten. People seem to buy consoles on the strength of games that will be coming out later, specifically the ones with a decent level of invstment/hype in them.
In turn those games seem to make a pile more money.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.73696.805327 said:
How many people actually buy a console for it's Launch titles? I always thought there was this assumption that anything out inside the first 6 months will be either hopelessly rushed or a shallow port of an existing game. Maybe one title will be worth keeping, but the rest will be lining bargain bins as quickly as they are forgotten. People seem to buy consoles on the strength of games that will be coming out later, specifically the ones with a decent level of invstment/hype in them.
Resistance,Halo:Combat Evolved,Zelda Twilight Princess,PGR3,Call of Duty 2, Mario 64, Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt were all launch titles. A couple just may have convinced some people to buy the console and they all are AAA games (well duck hunt and Wii sports are pack ins and are debatable)

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Yes and no.

I would first argue that all things being equal, people will buy a console with a pack in over a console without. Then again, I'd also argue that what with persistent storage, network connectivity, and digital distribution, this is the last generation of consoles to have pack ins.

Now, notice shatnershaman's list. Aside from the pack ins, three of the games in his list are sequels. Of course, two of those are Nintendo titles, which has a slightly different set of launch sale rules.

People do buy consoles for launch titles, but for titles that are things they would have gotten anyway, in franchises they like. I would say it's considerably rarer for people to buy a console at launch for a brand spanking new exclusive piece of original IP.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.73696.805344 said:
fix-the-spade post=7.73696.805327 said:
Resistance,Halo:Combat Evolved,Zelda Twilight Princess,PGR3,Call of Duty 2, Mario 64, Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt were all launch titles. A couple just may have convinced some people to buy the console and they all are AAA games (well duck hunt and Wii sports are pack ins and are debatable)
There's a Wii Duck Hunt? Does it come with a Zapper gun?

...Can you shoot the dog!?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Resistance,Halo:Combat Evolved,Zelda Twilight Princess,PGR3,Call of Duty 2, Mario 64, Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Twilight Princess is a Gamecube Port, Cod 2 is a Pc port, four are sequels and Wii Sports?!
Of those only Halo, Resistance and Mario have started any kind of running franchise. Granted in Mario and Chief's case that's a pretty massive franchise. But it's still only three.
People hardly ever buy consoles for brand new, never before seen launch titles, they almost always want the next title in series X.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.73696.807449 said:
People hardly ever buy consoles for brand new, never before seen launch titles, they almost always want the next title in series X.
Sadly, that's why I bought my 360 and also why I'm probably going to sell it soon. I haven't touched it in months and all the games I want to play are coming out on PC. Only reason I haven't dumped it is because Geometry Wars 2 hasn't jumped to PC yet.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
LOL MS fails! good thing they kept it though, what would I play without halo 3 multiplayer

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
eggdog14 post=7.73696.808457 said:
"One of the series' most popular selling points"?

how many are there?
There's the vehicles, wacky physics, beautiful art-direction, good story, good level design, good voice-acting, some very unique weapons.

That makes 8.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73696.808489 said:
There's the vehicles, wacky physics, beautiful art-direction, good story, good level design, good voice-acting, some very unique weapons.

That makes 8.
Alright, before someone jumps in and starts questioning those points (trust me, someone will) it needs to be brought up that the Halo franchise may not have survived if Microsoft had their way to begin with. The original Halo was really, more than anything, a good launch title. If it wasn't for the multiplayer (which made it a popular LAN game and built it a following), there may not have even been a Halo 2.

I figured that somebody would bring that one up sooner or later. It's a scary thought for some, a reassuring one for others.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Actually this is completely believable because the statistics from halo one revealed that a large percentage of owners had not connected their xbox. So its not to far fetched to say that Microsoft perceived the massive amount of work that would have to go into multiplayer to be a waste.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
hippo24 post=7.73696.808646 said:
Actually this is completely believable because the statistics from halo one revealed that a large percentage of owners had not connected their xbox. So its not to far fetched to say that Microsoft perceived the massive amount of work that would have to go into multiplayer to be a waste.
Really? Huh, to be honest I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for bringing that one up. After you said that, it actually somewhat makes a little bit of sense...

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.73696.807449 said:
Resistance,Halo:Combat Evolved,Zelda Twilight Princess,PGR3,Call of Duty 2, Mario 64, Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Twilight Princess is a Gamecube Port, Cod 2 is a Pc port, four are sequels and Wii Sports?!
Of those only Halo, Resistance and Mario have started any kind of running franchise. Granted in Mario and Chief's case that's a pretty massive franchise. But it's still only three.
Resistance isn't running? Did they cancel Resistance 2 or Resistance:Retribution? You said launch title not sequel launch title Mario 64 still counts.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Because investors want quick easy money, multiplayer development takes time and is thus not neccesary. Mammoth companies don't want to make great games, they want to make great money. The individual dev might want to make something awesome, but the higher ups don't give them the time to do it in.

Whenever a company grow too big, this is what happens. I find it quite amazing that Blizzard hasn't fallen into this yet, but with the recent developments it might just be a matter of time.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Lt. Sera post=7.73696.810544 said:
Because investors want quick easy money, multiplayer development takes time and is thus not neccesary. Mammoth companies don't want to make great games, they want to make great money. The individual dev might want to make something awesome, but the higher ups don't give them the time to do it in.

Whenever a company grow too big, this is what happens. I find it quite amazing that Blizzard hasn't fallen into this yet, but with the recent developments it might just be a matter of time.
How much money do you think was made off downloadable content and xbox live subscriptions (these things have almost no overhead cost).