Don't Worry, No XBLA De-listings for Now

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Don't Worry, No XBLA De-listings for Now

Underperforming Xbox Live Arcade games get a fighting chance to live for a little while longer.

For the time being, Microsoft is holding off on de-listing any games on its Xbox Live Arcade download service. In an interview with IGN [http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/918/918107p1.html?RSSwhen2008-10-09_100600&RSSid=918107] at Tokyo Game Show this week, Microsoft corporate vice president John Schappert said news reports several months ago of the company's plans to potentially purge XBLA games not meeting certain performance standards were taken out of context.

Previously, Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten Metacritic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84064-Microsoft-To-Begin-Delisting-Underperforming-XBLA-Games] score of below 65 percent and a less than six percent conversion rate on the Xbox Live service would be put on the chopping block for potential de-listing.

"This way titles are not just considered if they are not selling well or not getting good reviews, but actually a combination of both," he said. "We will also give a three-month notice before delisting any title. Overall I think you will find this will focus the catalog more on larger, more immersive games and make it much easier to find the games you are looking for."

Microsoft's tune has changed, albeit temporarily. Shappert said the company was only setting up parameters to allow de-listing to occur. It doesn't plan to actually move forward with delisting at the present time. He said they have no interest in pulling games from the service, until the volume of content begins to bog things down. ""We have no immediate plans to act on de-listing," he said.

milothereporter

Oct 25, 2007
Merely an effect of trying to use a television for information management. Didn't work for webTV (which in my fuzzy childhood memories seems to have been ad supported and pushed by the cable sales channels? don't quote me), and it won't work for the Xbox.

Also: here's a free business idea for someone: make a USB attachment for the front of Xboxen that handles DVD player functionality. Manufacture it offshore for 2 bucks and sell it for 25. All I ask is that you buy me a beer with your gains ;)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Every time I see "XBLA" I think of the well-worn Jon Stewart joke:

The game is available on XBox Live Arcade, or "NAMBLA".

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
I think they are being shortsighted - maybe trying to band-aid over the effects of bad UI or something? The biggest advantage of digital distribution to the consumer is the continued availability of old and marginal titles (since it costs nothing to keep them available). There cannot possibly be a technical reason for this.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee if they dropped the prices they would sell more , they already charge too much for some games , any game that's 2 years old should be $ 20

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I have to agree with the guy above me. Prices on XBLA are way to high for me to consider touching anything that isn't Serious Sam.