Crow Reboot Loses Star, Mark Wahlberg a Possible Replacement

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crow Reboot Loses Star, Mark Wahlberg a Possible Replacement

Mark Wahlberg probably won't get to be Nathan Drake, but maybe he could be Eric Draven instead.

It looks like A-Team and The Hangover star Bradley Cooper might not be appearing in the reboot of The Crow after all; sources suggest that the actor has scheduling conflicts that prevent him from appearing. But that doesn't mean that the reboot is dead in the water; the studio just needs to find a new leading man, and apparently it has its eye on Mark Wahlberg.

This isn't the first time that Wahlberg's name has come up in connection with the reboot: he was previously thought to be a lock for the lead role last year, although he later squashed the rumor, saying that he had been interested, but never formally committed to it. Wahlberg isn't the only possible replacement for Cooper though; GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra star Channing Tatum is also rumored to in the running for the part.

A lack of a leading man isn't the only problem that the reboot has to deal with either: The Weinstein Company has sued Relativity, the studio behind the movie, over the films distribution rights. The case is still currently in arbitration with both sides contending that they own the rights.

The original Crow movie - an adaptation of the 1989 James O'Barr comic of the same name - came out in 1994. The movie did well at the box office, although a shadow was cast over its success following the death of its star Brandon Lee, who died after accidentally being shot on set. Any reboot is going to have to be pretty impressive to compete with that.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bradley-cooper-exits-crow-as-223204]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
WHAT!? This is the first I've heard of them remaking The Crow, which, to be honest, shouldnt be allowed to go ahead. The origional should stand on its own, even as a memory to Brandon Lee.

I hate Hollywood reboots as a whole anyway, I can only see them completely ignoring The Crows story and point in favour of sex scenes and bullshit cgi gunfights.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Reading the synopsis of the comic general plot, I can safely say that no sane studio would successfully adapt this comic into a movie because these days there isn't a studio with enough guts to pull it off.
Read the synopsis.

wooty said:
WHAT!? This is the first I've heard of them remaking The Crow, which, to be honest, shouldnt be allowed to go ahead. The origional should stand on its own, even as a memory to Brandon Lee.

I hate Hollywood reboots as a whole anyway, I can only see them completely ignoring The Crows story and point in favour of sex scenes and bullshit cgi gunfights.
They think that if an idea works one could remake it and by doing that one could have an audience merely because the product shares the same name and vague synopsis as the previous.
If it worked earlier, why not do it again?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Thats too bad, he did a really good job in Limitless. I think he would make a fine Crow. But any remake won't hold a candle to the original.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
I just don't see Marky Mark in that role. I know he's a good actor, but he's just not the Crow to me. Maybe he can surprise me though.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Ain't they both too old to play the crow anyway? Eric was in his early twenties if I remember correctly.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
It's going to be shit, the Casting choices they've had so far prove that.

I will happily ignore it in favour of just sticking with a great comic and movie.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
what's with everyone considering Whalberg? I just can't see him having the depth necessary to play a character like he Crow, or the wit and lightheartedness to play nathan drake, he's just kind of a one trick pony in terms of his range

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Will someone please keep Mark Wahlberg away from my favourite characters?! Bradley Cooper was amazing in Limitless, and he has the good looks and the talent that I think would make him a great Crow. Wahlberg has none of these things.
A new adaptation of the book has a lot of potential in my opinion, but the guys in charge don't seem competent if they're best replacements for Cooper are Channing Tatum or Mark Wahlberg.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It will be shit no matter who plays Draven.

Nothing will be remotely on par with the original they must know that surely.

It's bad enough they keep fucking up classic films but after being told by thousands upon thousands of people that each remake they do is shit they want to do it to films that have a massive cult following like The Crow.

GoodOmens

Apr 23, 2011
I don't think Mark Wahlberg would be a good Crow because he's too big, too burly. The Crow is slim, lithe, nimble, a bit feminine, which is why Brandon Lee did so well.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'm Seriously boycotting this.

Firstly, an unnecessary reboot of one of my favourite films, which is bad enough.

Then to rub salt in the wounds, you get a shitty actor to play the frikken Crow.

I can't express in words how angry I am.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lt. Vinciti said:
Why must we reboot things that do not need to be rebooted?

Why cant we be original....
Because that's hard, and has no guarantee of success.

;) It is much easier to just dig up the corpes of a loved icon, shoot it with lightning, and make the fans pay to see it twitch. Because even if it makes them sick, many will still pay...

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
wooty said:

Agreed. A Crow reboot/remake/prequel/sequel/interquel would amount to something that I'd probably watch on DVD a couple of years after its release only to find all of my suspicions of disappointment confirmed.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
mark walberg? you mean the "Where the bees go guys?" guy?

nothing of value was lost. (not that i hate the guy, he just doesnt seem crow like to me)

and speaking of remakes, when the hell is that red dawn movie coming out?