Ocarina of Time Gets a New Look in Gorgeous Fan Art

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ocarina of Time Gets a New Look in Gorgeous Fan Art

Monsters are fought and princess are rescued in these Ocarina of Time prints, and all without a word being spoken.

As part of a college project, freelance illustrator Vikki Chu has created a series of prints, showing how Link obtained the three spiritual stones in Ocarina of Time, with a wonderfully stylized look. These prints aren't new, but they are incredibly pretty, and worth sharing all the same.

[gallery=420]

Anyone familiar with Ocarina of Time will recognize what's going on in an instant, from Link entering the Great Deku Tree, to playing the ocarina for Darunia, to rescuing Princess Ruto from Lord Jabu Jabu's belly. Chu created them in her senior year of Illustration class at Virginia Commonwealth University in 2009. The brief was to re-interpret the look and feel of a videogame, something that Chu did exceedingly well.

Sadly, Chu can't sell prints of these, as she doesn't own the rights to the characters, but there's nothing to stop us admiring them online. You can check out more of her artwork on her blog [http://vikkichu.blogspot.com/].

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222023/legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-retold-through-adorable-art/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Daily+News%29]

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
... It's not really an original look, I'm afraid. It's almost exactly like the art style used to introduce and conclude Phantom Hourglass. Really good replication of the style, though.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
The Escapist: We get our news two weeks after Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5827217/ocarina-of-time-is-a-childrens-story/gallery/1

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow those are nice illustrations of the game story. I hope she continue to draw out the rest of it.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
That's really cute! ~_~; and now to go scourge myself for saying that.

But seriously, <3

EDIT

blalien said:

I Loled so hard =D

I bet kotaku isn't going down the drain right now

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh... I don't really like it. The style just looks like a small child's scribbling to me. That's not to say that it's not good art or that the artist doesn't deserve to be commended (she does) but I just don't like it. Hooray for knowing that the concept of "good" art has nothing to do with the art itself!

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
Meh... I don't really like it. The style just looks like a small child's scribbling to me. That's not to say that it's not good art or that the artist doesn't deserve to be commended (she does) but I just don't like it. Hooray for knowing that the concept of "good" art has nothing to do with the art itself!
OMG!!! someone on the internet understanding that person opinion does not equal fact? Is the internet dying and trying to set things proper?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
orangeapples said:
Twilight_guy said:
OMG!!! someone on the internet understanding that person opinion does not equal fact? Is the internet dying and trying to set things proper?
I am Twilight_guy, I speak for the Internet. I have one thing to say:
I'm in ur Escapist, reading ur newz.
MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL!!!!

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
blalien said:

I was going to post the exact same link when I saw the pictures.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
These are really good but...

Aren't these basically the same as the 'flashback' scenes from Wind Waker and the Phantom Hourglass?

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Personally I don't like it, but prop's to the lass she has a nice art style (far better than my own highly generic style) and I hope she keeps with it to create something completely original.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Reminds me of Phantom Hourglass... Ugh, bad memories of going through that dungeon 7 times.

Anyways, this art style doesn't appeal to me, but whatever floats your boat.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
I hate to nitpick, but who am I kidding I love to nitpick. Why's Link right-handed in these? I mean, yes, the Wii controller forced Link to be right-handed in Twilight Princess, but excepting that (and Skyward Sword), being left-handed was Link's endearing little quirk. Sort of sad to see it get neglected, in a strange and quirky way.