Dante Takes to the Air in New DmC Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dante Takes to the Air in New DmC Trailer

Guns, massive swords and gravity defying combat? It's a Devil May Cry game all right.

Dante may have a new look in the Devil May Cry prequel/reboot, but if the new gameplay trailer shown at Gamescom is anything to go by, his fighting style remains untouched, even if he has picked up a new trick or two.

It's not as good a trailer as the one that Capcom released for E3, but it's a lot more focused. It shows Dante slicing up his foes with some pretty massive melee weapons, primarily a scythe, with a little sword action thrown in for good measure. There's also a little gunplay, and what looks like a Mortal Kombat-esque spear, which pulls distant foes back into melee range. Hitting foes in the air is also still in there - it wouldn't be a Devil May Cry without it - and it looks like Dante can stay in the air for a very long time, as long as he keeps attacking

There has been some concern in the past about Heavenly Sword and Enslaved developer Ninja Theory might somehow ruin the gameplay, but it appears to have left everything pretty much as it found it. Of course, that does nothing to placate the people who are upset with Dante's new look in the game, many of whom have resorted to homophobic slurs to express their annoyance.

[gallery=421]

DmC comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
Well gameplay looks fine, i just hate this emo Dantentein look they're going with especially since the lead developer's appearance is suspiciously similar to this new "Dante"

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
What worries me in that trailer is the enviroments.

Last time we had enviroments that big in a Devil May Cry game we ended up with DMC2

*shudder*

As far as the new look goes, I'm willing to accept it with time, but I just wish that they hadn't made him look like the head of NT:

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I really don't get the hate for the game, it looks just fine. I can understand being worried/cautious over the game, reboots tend to shake the initial fanbase, but the outright hate that this game is getting after barely any info is released is just insane. Already people are downvoting this trailer and nitpicking at every single solitary thing, outright declaring that they will never be swayed and will deliberately hate this game no matter what. It's disgusting, to say the least.

People are already bitching about the "slow" combat and the few number of enemies when this stuff is still in Alpha and they're still tweaking and adding new things to the game. People for some reason are saying that the graphics suck, but I got to tell ya, I've watched each trailer in differing resolutions and I just can't see it. It looks gorgeous, with the vibrant color palette, yet some people are saying this is PS1 graphics? Are you serious? People are moaning about the new Dante/whatever design, making broad assumptions of his character, when the whole thing is supposed to be how he developed into the original Dante (Team Ninja Ninja Theory (goddamnit, people are getting those confused) does a fairly decent job of characterization, so I'm a bit optimistic about their foray into development)

People are complaining about the whole reboot thing in general. But you know what? Maybe Capcom wouldn't have decided to go for a reboot if the initial fanbase didn't ***** about DMC4, yelling "moar Dante! Less Nero!" and basically, from Capcom's perspective, demanding a reboot of the series for more delicious Dante.

I'm inclined to say "you have nobody to blame but yourselves", but I really have no clue what's the dealy-o with DMC in the first place.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I cannot help but notice that almost all the comments on the youtube video are pure bile.

I don't suppose one of you esteemed DMC fans could explain to this poor, puzzled non-fan what all the hate is about?

Is it because Dante got a dye-job?

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
anthony87 said:

Last time we had enviroments that big in a Devil May Cry game we ended up with DMC2

*shudder*
Well, at least one thing Ninja Theory always did right was the environments, so that's something to be cautiously optimistic about.

OT: Am I the only person who actually likes the redesigned Dante? I don't see anything 'emo' about him (that word has been overused and mangled all to hell). In the original trailer he struck me as more classic punk rock.

Zhukov said:
That's pretty much it.

THE SILVER HAIR IS SACRED AND THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT DANTE'S CHARACTER! THEY RUINED THE GAME!!! [/sarcasm]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Jumplion said:
I really don't get the hate for the game, it looks just fine. I can understand being worried/cautious over the game, reboots tend to shake the initial fanbase, but the outright hate that this game is getting after barely any info is released is just insane. Already people are downvoting this trailer and nitpicking at every single solitary thing, outright declaring that they will never be swayed and will deliberately hate this game no matter what. It's disgusting, to say the least.
I think what really rubbed people the wrong way was that when it was first announced, NT said something along the lines of "Dante isn't cool anymore, we're gonna make him cool again". To a DMC fanboy, this is pretty much blasphemy and as much as I hate to admit it....I'm one of those fanboys. Still gonna give the game a chance though, I'm not one of the idiot fanboys who just writes it off straight away.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
As long as they explain why Dante is the way he is then I'm okay with that. If not I'm going to be disappointed as he looks out of place with the other DMC games.

Gameplay looks solid but making a hack and slash as good as the legendarily good DMC 3 is going to be difficult. Fingers crossed

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zhukov said:
I cannot help but notice that almost all the comments on the youtube video are pure bile.

I don't suppose one of you esteemed DMC fans could explain to this poor, puzzled non-fan what all the hate is about?

To put it simply, they seem to be taking 3 games' worth of mythos and chucking it out the window. The reason Dante's hair was white was because of the demon blood in him, same reason Sparda's and Vergil's hair was white. Plus DMC4 ended with a fuckton of ambiguity and questions so it's a little annoying to see a reboot rather than having questions answered.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Gameplay looks solid, Can't complain about that.

I just hope that it won't relay soley on gameplay.

OneNooneKnows

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah fine, I'm a fan...a sort of love/hate fan... The old Dante worked fine.

While the gameplay looks just fine for a DMC game, if it's a reboot, why make it a clone in a new wrapper? :/ I dig the scythe, but that's about it...

And seriously, the similarities to the the NT dude is a bit too uncanny to be nothing short of a self-insert fanfiction with a bold try at fame-harvesting off the old crop.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I'm pretty open to the idea of a reboot on this series, but the more I see of this game the more I feel like it is lacking a "style" that made the originals so great. Also is it just me or are the environments looking really bland and uninteresting. It is like there is too much open space or something. They feel empty.

EDIT oh yeah, and below is pretty douchey, that is something I would expect from Cliffy B of Epic, not Tameem Antoniades. Don't get me wrong, he comes off as a douche in that interview he did. He doesn't have a clue what DMC is, but Oh well. The really sad thing is they said it took them a year and a half to decide on a finalized look for Dante. Makes you wonder how long this guy fought everyone to get his way....

anthony87 said:

*shudder*

As far as the new look goes, I'm willing to accept it with time, but I just wish that they hadn't made him look like the head of NT:

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
anthony87 said:
Jumplion said:
I think what really rubbed people the wrong way was that when it was first announced, NT said something along the lines of "Dante isn't cool anymore, we're gonna make him cool again". To a DMC fanboy, this is pretty much blasphemy and as much as I hate to admit it....I'm one of those fanboys. Still gonna give the game a chance though, I'm not one of the idiot fanboys who just writes it off straight away.
That's generally what a reboot does, really.

Look, I get the trepidation behind this. It's not exactly what people have come to expect of Dante or DMC or whatever. You have every right to be worried about the game, as a fan of the series. However, Capcom has absolutely no obligation to follow the fans' desires. They could make a go-kart racing game and still call it Devil May Cry if they wanted to.

The only obligation Capcom and Team Ninja have is to make a good game. From what I've seen, it looks pretty nifty and piques my interest in the series. Again, I can understand the worry, but the sheer hate is something that I honestly find disgusting. It shows the deepest bowels of gamer expectations, one that is afraid of change and basically act like drug addicts who need their fix.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
For every new trailer that rolls out the more im convinced that Capcom did to Ninja theory what Sega should have been doing to Team Sonic over the last 10 years.

All that remains to be seen for me now is if it retains the inherent camp-ness of the series excluding DMC2.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Wait! Ninja theory? For some reason I thought it was team ninja making it.... okay now I understand where the concern is at...

but maybe we'll get a decent origin story from them!

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Is it just me or was there a quick flash of white hair and red cape dante during one of those combos? Granted it could have just been the red inside of his jacket and the white slash lines.

-looks again at 0:36-

-smiles-

OT: Gameplay looks awesome, definitely going to try it out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
anthony87 said:
Zhukov said:

To put it simply, they seem to be taking 3 games' worth of mythos and chucking it out the window. The reason Dante's hair was white was because of the demon blood in him, same reason Sparda's and Vergil's hair was white. Plus DMC4 ended with a fuckton of ambiguity and questions so it's a little annoying to see a reboot rather than having questions answered.
Isn't this supposed to be a prequel explaining how all of whateverthehell the other DMCs did actually happened? The whole Devil Trigger thing has his hair turn white, his transformation into a devil or something.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Cpu46 said:
Is it just me or was there a quick flash of white hair and red cape dante during one of those combos? Granted it could have just been the red inside of his jacket and the white slash lines.

-looks again at 0:36-

-smiles-

OT: Gameplay looks awesome, definitely going to try it out.
Yeah that was in the E3 trailer too.

I'm guessing that that's gonna be this games' version of a Devil Trigger.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
There has been some concern in the past about Heavenly Sword and Enslaved developer Ninja Theory might somehow ruin the gameplay, but it appears to have left everything pretty much as it found it. Of course, that does nothing to placate the people who are upset with Dante's new look in the game, many of whom have resorted to homophobic slurs to express their annoyance.
I thought you were being facetious here and trying to trivialise the complaints of the fan base. Then I looked at the youtube comments for this... and yeah... every other comment is some variant of the words 'gay' and 'lol.' The rest are just people saying 'yeah, his hair was white for a bit. I guess the fan boys can stop bitching now, right? lol.'

So yeah. Way to express yourselves youtube fans. No internets for you.

Please don't lump all us Devil May Cry fans in with the youtube plebs though. That would be gay. (And that last sentence would be a joke).

Personally I'm liking the way the combat looks. I like that Scorpion-esque 'get over here' attack and the scythe looks kind of fun to play around with. I'm still concerned with the character redesign (it's a lot more than just 'hair is different, lol') but this gameplay video has restored a little bit of my faith in the project. Only about one minutes worth, but that's more faith than I've had before.

I still see this as being Devil May Cry's version of Other M or the new Spider Man movie.

Also, there has only ever been one good reboot and that's the Brian de Palma and Al Pacino version of Scarface . Reboots are wank. Especially gritty ones.