Europeans Can Enter Amalur in Early 2012

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Europeans Can Enter Amalur in Early 2012

The first title from Curt Schilling's 38 Studios gets a release date for European audiences announced at GamesComm.

The head content team for Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning sounds like a 90s rock supergroup of fantasy game talent - plus one baseball player. The background story is written by R.A. Salvatore, the visual design is headed by Spawn-creator Todd MacFarlane and the game design is by the lead designer of Bethesda's Morrowind and Oblivion, Ken Rolston. The team at 38 Studios was assembled by an unlikely videogame CEO, former Red Sox hero Curt Schilling. After a strong showing at E3, Schilling announced at the GamesCom conference in Germany that Europeans will be able to play the single-player RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning on February 10th, 2012 on either the Xbox 360, the PS3 or PC.

[video=3878]

"Reckoning is just the beginning of the deep, expansive lore and massive world that is Amalur," said Schilling. "Reckoning has developed into something amazing and beyond my wildest dreams - I cannot wait to share it with gamers across the world next February."

Schilling was a big EverQuest fanatic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7366-Exclusive-Interview-Curt-Schilling-Sets-The-Record-Straight] even as he was leading the Diamondbacks to a championship in 2001 and helping the Red Sox win their first World Series in 2004. Since he retired after the 2007 baseball season, he has transformed himself into a videogame entrepreneur by garnering his sports fame and passion for gaming into venture capital for 38 Studios. (Incidentally, 38 Studios takes its name from the number Schilling wore on his jersey in Boston.)

As Schilling hinted at, Reckoning is the precursor to the major MMO that 38 Studios is busy making at its headquarters in Providence, RI. The project is codenamed Copernicus, and, in talking to Schilling and Salvatore over the last year, it promises mechanics that the MMO crowd is familiar with [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7957-Melding-Story-with-Mechanics-The-Secret-of-Amalur] and places them firmly in the setting's lore.

Hopefully, the strategy of releasing a single-player game before the MMO will do for 38 Studios what it did for Blizzard and World of Warcraft. For my part, I'm interested in playing the singleplayer RPG from this creative team to see if they can meet the potential of the supergroup that Schilling formed.

I'd also like to know when Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning is coming out in other territories. Come on, Curt, don't neglect your fans here in the States.

Update: According to an interview with Ken Rolston as MMORPG.com [http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/21553/General-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Release-Announced.html], the North American release date is February 7th.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Seems to be one of those games that has a lot of buzz about it from those who have seen it, but none from those who haven't (myself). Seems to have some decent weight behind it with the developers, at the very least.

Awful name though.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The pedigree is enough to get me interested, but that trailer lost all the interest again.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I'd also like to know when Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning is coming out in other territories. Come on, Curt, don't neglect your fans here in the States.
Erm, they said it will come out in NA at 7th Feb 2012?

Andy Katkin: Ken just officially announced the release date for Reckoning: February 10, 2012 in Europe! And he didn?t say it, but we just happen to know the North America release date will be February 7th.
EDIT: It's not MMORPG.COM interview. Andy Katkin is EA's editor in chief for ea.com. The snippet is from EA's own live-report on Gamescom.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Keava said:
Greg Tito said:
Erm, they said it will come out in NA at 7th Feb 2012?

Andy Katkin: Ken just officially announced the release date for Reckoning: February 10, 2012 in Europe! And he didn?t say it, but we just happen to know the North America release date will be February 7th.
Thanks, I updated the post with that info.

Greg

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Greg Tito said:
helping the Red Sox win their first World Series in 2004.
It was their first World Series in decades, yes, but not ever .

Schilling was one of my favorite players back when I actually watched baseball. It's cool to know he's doing video games now!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I am so excited for this game! And am happy to hear it's coming out relatively soon! I'm very anxious about the new mechanics they've announced, and it's always nice to see a new IP. Unfortunately I'm not an MMO person, and am not happy that there may not be a sequel other than the MMO.
Though that trailer was very meh.