From Dust Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
From Dust Review

At first impression, From Dust might look and play more like a tech demo than an actual game, but there is some enjoyment to be dug out of the experience.

Read Full Article

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Sweet, I'm downloading this today on Steam, I can't wait to play it. Hopefully the keyboard and mouse will solve some of those issues with camera control and lack of precision with the controller.

So, was the paraphrasing of Bender in Godfellas at the end of the review intentional? If so, nicely done.

Mar 30, 2010
One keymapping, which asked you to pull both left and right trigger to dump your entire currently stored element on the spot only worked once or twice for me so I simply stopped using it all together.
Damn, that's one of the most useful functions. It is a little fiddly to get it working - what you have to do it hold down the drop trigger and then press the pickup trigger whilst the drop trigger is being held. This allows you to dump massive quantities of dirt at once, which means you can block water more effectively as water cannot erode large amounts of dirt.

For instance one of the first levels (the one with the ridiculously low water table) has springs which crop up everywhere when you're trying to excavate. Well, a full Breath of sand dumped on a spring will block it, if dropped all at once (and there are no neighbouring springs to wash away the sides of the mound). The power of the spring will wash away the same amount of dirt if it were to be dropped gradually.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
To completely drop everything you're holding in an instant you need to first hold the button which releases the element, and then press the other button. Not press them simultanously. I was confused by the tutorial's mention too.

Anyways, it's a neat game. Good looking and pretty fun if you're into god games, and I heartily recommend it.

EDIT: ninja'd.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Is this available now on the ps3 too? I heard there was a wait.
I think I'll probably just get it for PC if that's available now. It looks a little more like a mouse & keys type of game anyway.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
I've played the PC version for a little while... and the mouse controls are just horrible. (map scroll engaging from quite far from the edge of the screen, auto-centering on cursor after 1-2sec, no real mouse pointer, just the terrain following breath that makes control feel quite bad, can't move the "mouse" position while moving/panning the screen) Looks like the playtesting went with a gamepad!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Avaholic03 said:
So, was the paraphrasing of Bender in Godfellas at the end of the review intentional? If so, nicely done.
Heh, not intentionally actually, but I know exactly which episode you speak of.

Grouchy Imp said:
Damn, that's one of the most useful functions. It is a little fiddly to get it working - what you have to do it hold down the drop trigger and then press the pickup trigger whilst the drop trigger is being held. This allows you to dump massive quantities of dirt at once, which means you can block water more effectively as water cannot erode large amounts of dirt.
Chapper said:
To completely drop everything you're holding in an instant you need to first hold the button which releases the element, and then press the other button. Not press them simultanously. I was confused by the tutorial's mention too.
Ah ha, Thanks. Yeah, that could have been a little better explained.

nagi said:
I've played the PC version for a little while... and the mouse controls are just horrible. (map scroll engaging from quite far from the edge of the screen, auto-centering on cursor after 1-2sec, no real mouse pointer, just the terrain following breath that makes control feel quite bad, can't move the "mouse" position while moving/panning the screen) Looks like the playtesting went with a gamepad!
Well that's a shame, a good mouse and keyboard control scheme would have really been good for this title.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The lava mechanics in this game were amazing. Unlike the water, the lava is constantly reshapping the surface it flows across ever so slightly, meaning it's impossible to completely dam it in.

And some of those challange maps were pretty cool, too. Especially the ones with quicksand.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Downloaded it, regret it. I completely hate how the screen always follows the mouse. When will consoles finally get mouse+keyboard (and of course "normal" controller as alternative, you know, like a PC)?

Seriously why would anyone like to control the cursor with the keyboard and the cameraview with the mouse?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Xbox 360, compare your graphics to the PC and kill yourself.

Seriously, the Xbox's are so disappointing.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
PC version requires "Ubisoft launcher" and another fucking gaming account that requires our personal info. This is getting rediculous.

If I buy it, I'm waiting until a crack is made so I don't have to deal with Ubisoft's bullshit.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
somonels said:
Xbox 360, compare your graphics to the PC and kill yourself.

Seriously, the Xbox's are so disappointing.
They're not bad.

Also, i'm stuck on "Movements".
Fucking rain.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
I enjoyed this played it an entire weekend, controls can be a bit fiddly at the start but you get used to them, as mentioned in the review pathfinding is a terrible pain when they get stuck on a tiny incline and you put some lava down for them and accidentally burn them to death. Nice to go back to some levels after you are done and keep building and changing the world.

Movements is not as difficult as long as you use evaporate everytime it rains. Infinite earth tower on the lava source did not end well, really tall thin mountain didn't fill it in.

standokan

May 28, 2009
The thing I'm interested in, just how many people did buy this game just for the tf2 hat?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
nagi said:
I was thinking I'd pick this up on sale some time, I suspect it would be fun to play with my six-year-old who loves Minecraft, but if the controls are bad I'm not touching it.

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
Sounds like you all had a better gaming experience than me;

Every couple of minutes.

Bloody Orwellion DRM.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Well, I finished it in a couple of hours and I did the 100% vegetation thing.
It was too easy in my opinion and it would have been even shorter if the path finding would have been better because waiting 10 minutes for them to figure out I made a wonderful path is just annoying.
The controls and camera movement aren't good either but for the low price tag on steam it was ok.

edit: btw it was a gift as I bought Bastion already and the Ubisoft launcher can be outright annoying and it reminded me why I don't buy Ubisoft games

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Game looks interesting it reminds me of the populus games, which I loved. Though I might wait until a ps3 release as I refuse to ubisoft games on the pc with the drm the way that it is.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
People, don't buy the PC version!!

- Riddled with bugs and freeze-ups
- Graphical glitches en masse
- Character pathfinding is beyond frustrating
- Juddering mouse interface
- Infamous Ubi DRM (after Ubi specifically promised the game wouldn't have it)