Beat Rioters With Sticks in London Looters

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Beat Rioters With Sticks in London Looters

A new online game offers you the chance to play as a London electronics dealer during last weekend's riots.

Faced with the worst rioting seen in their city for decades, London's shopkeepers weren't left with many options for defence last weekend. In London Looters [http://www.roundgames.com/game/London+Looters], a defend-your-shop Flash game created by Dutch designer Kenny Vleugels, your only choice is to beat back the thieving hordes with nothing more than your totally morally reliable vigilante-stick. You lose when the looters manage to escape with all of your shop's stock - which they inevitably will.

"After a certain amount of time it's nearly impossible to defend against the mob," said Vleugels, explaining that he "imagines that's how the shopkeepers must have felt." The game pelts an endless stream of looting sprites at you, inviting you to dispatch them with as much sickening, gleeful catharsis as you care to provide.

Vleugels added that his inspiration to build the game came from seeing photos of Aaron Biber, an 89 year-old barber from Tottenham, surveying the mindless destruction of his ruined premises after the first night of looting. Happily, though, an online appeal [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8702729/Appeal-raises-35K-to-fix-89-year-olds-looted-barber-shop.html] started by some sympathetic PR interns has already raised £35,000 towards the restoration of his shop, so he's probably feeling a bit better now.

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/london-riots-video-game_n_924835.html]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I say he missed a trick here should have had it you were a sikh. They were out in force with sabres. Those guys.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Well, I scored a 235, at a certain point they just throw too many guys with massive health at you at once and there's no way to keep up

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Nice subtle moral message there, inevitable loss because of the horde... my thoughts goes out to my fellow Londoners, shoper keepers or not, who were affected last week.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
GODDAMN THESE LOOTERS

>_>
I let one purple guy through!
And suddenly a hoard!

underscore_b

Jul 6, 2010
Steampunk Viking said:
Nice subtle moral message there, inevitable loss because of the horde...
Wait, what? The player is tacitly encouraged to beat hordes of people (who weren't attacking them) to death rather than relinquish a couple of flat-screen TVs. It's certainly a new take on the 'MINDLESS VIOLENCE' meme...

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
underscore_b said:
Steampunk Viking said:
Nice subtle moral message there, inevitable loss because of the horde...
Wait, what? The player is tacitly encouraged to beat hordes of people (who weren't attacking them) to death rather than relinquish a couple of flat-screen TVs. It's certainly a new take on the 'MINDLESS VIOLENCE' meme...
I'll be honest, I didn't play it, but I'm pretty sure what was meant to be was a game where you have to defend, essentially, your property. If someone breaks into my property, the last thing I'd do is go "Hey, leave my stuff alone" and leave it at that, I'd be up defending my property.

Now I don't know if you're from London, or any of the other cities affected, but I live in one of the areas that were hit early on, albeit not as badly as other places. The sheer overwhelming adrenaline that goes through you when you feel threatened isn't quite what you would be thinking as a "rational thinking person". It's pretty psychologically messed on both sides, but I applaud those who defended our cities against these riots, at least they wouldn't let themselves be pushed around by these little thugs.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Oh I forgot to address the other thing, maybe moral isn't the right word, but it certainly emulates the helplessness of the victims, being overrun by this horde of thugs and, despite their best efforts, were bound to fail, but at least they tried.