Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

Minecraft [http://minecraft.net/] creator Markus "Notch" Persson wants to settle Bethesda's Scrolls trademark lawsuit the old-fashioned way: Quake 3 Team Deathmatch! (And he's serious, by the way.)

Earlier this month, Notch Elder Scrolls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112106-Bethesda-Says-Mojangs-Scrolls-Infringes-on-Elder-Scrolls-Mark] trademark. The notification demanded that Mojang rename its game or face legal action, as well as "a pile of money up front before the legal process has even started."

Things have been relatively quiet since then, presumably as the lawyers ply their trade and earn their exorbitant fees, but now Notch has decided to take matters into his own hands, throwing down the gauntlet and challenging Bethesda to settle their differences like men. "Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie?" he wrote on his blog [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this]. "Well, let's do that instead!"

"I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-III-Arena-Pc/dp/B000ARB5MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313593246&sr=8-1]. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, your select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins," he wrote. "If we win, you drop the lawsuit. If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you're fine with."

Regardless of the outcome, he said he would still be willing to include a notice somewhere stating that Mojang's game is not related to the Elder Scrolls series, if Bethesda wants it included. And he's not kidding around, either. "I am serious, by the way," he added.

Well, Bethesda? What say you?

Thanks to TheGuy(wantstobe) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/TheGuy%28wantstobe%29] for the tip.

Apr 28, 2008
Let the games...

BEGIN!

If, of course, Bethesda has the stones for it.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]Thanks for fixing, [user]Mr. Gency[/user][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
Notch, dude, u were already cool in my book for minecraft, but dang...

stay godlike man, stay fucking godlike

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
sounds like a cool way of doing it. however for bethesda that might bring about a president where they have to accept all challenges for quake fights for ALL copyrights sounds a bit risky for them.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
Hell yes. This is how all stupid conflicts should be solved; video game violence instead of suing the pants off of everyone.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Fucking. Awesome.

But anyways, Notch (or his folks) are quite smart. Whether they win or lose the Quake- match, they get huge amount of publicity.

Though I think we all know this won't happen ^_^

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
A blatant publicity stunt, but an awesome one.
Cant wait to see Bethesda's response, or be in the room when they see Notch's challenge.

EDIT= the more I read it the more Im awed by Notch here, no matter how Bethesda respond Notch gets some measure of victory- he literally cant loose.

EDI2= writing this upside down is really really difficult.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Traun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, Bethesda? What say you?
Considering that they are first class dicks, they'd probably go with it in court.
why would they ever accept this, whatever they do they would lose

option 1. play and lose -> they possibly lose business from the name being used
option 2. play and win -> keep name, "omg they bought better players, boycot !!!11" image dent
option 3. dont play -> tiney image dent, high change of getting name changed

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
You see this, judicial system? This is how it fucking works. Divorce case? Put them and their lawyers in a 2-on-2 match, amount of frags decides the amount each partner gets.

Ryhzuo

Sep 19, 2010
I think regardless of Bethesda's response, just this offer has already earned Notch 1000 internet wins.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
wouldnt it be funny if bethesda was just trolling? if in a month or so they drop the lawsuit and say 'you are welcome for the publicity' because honestly, i hadnt even heard of this scrolls game before the lawsuit

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
The lawsuit is stupid to begin with, thinking they would accept these terms is ridiculous at best. I'm not impressed with either party.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I'm fairly certain that the developers behind Bethesda would be all for this, but the bean counters and lawyers will override them and force this to the court.

In which case Notch will just drop it anyway.

It's only a name. No real reason to go to court over that.