Modern Warfare 3 to Support Dedicated Servers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 to Support Dedicated Servers

Activision has essentially greenlit mods for Modern Warfare 3; hopefully it hasn't greenlit cheating as well.

PC gamers have a reason to be happy: Activision and Infinity Ward have listened to their feedback about dedicated servers in the Call of Duty games, and will be including them in Modern Warfare 3. What's more, unlike Black Ops' dedicated servers, it won't cost a dime to run one.

Writing on his blog, Activision's Dan Amrich said that there had been a lot of complaints about cheaters on the PC in the original Modern Warfare, which had prompted Infinity Ward to try something different for Modern Warfae 2. Infinity Ward's solution, IWNet, wasn't as popular as it could have been, leaving Infinity Ward to go back to the drawing board. In the meantime, Treyarch had supported dedicated servers in Black Ops, but people objected to having to rent them, rather than just running their own.

Amrich said that there wasn't an ideal solution to the dedicated server issue, but that hardcore fans had made their preference known in no uncertain terms. This is great news for the PC Call of Duty community, as it gives PC gamers back the level of control they've grown accustomed to, as well as enabling them to make all the mods they like.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: One of Swords [http://oneofswords.com/2011/08/mw3-supports-dedicated-servers-on-pc/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+oneofswords+%28One+Of+Swords%29]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
So they learned their lesson ay?

Well, at least they have staved off the mass protests and boycotts of this game that were so effective the last time around and helped hamper the overall sales of MW2........right?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
wooty said:

Well, at least they have staved off the mass protests and boycotts of this game that were so effective the last time around and helped hamper the overall sales of MW2........right?
I tried laughing, but even that seemed useless. For all the sturm und drang people will give this (SUCKS SO HARDCORE, NEVER PLAY IT, BOYCOTT IT WITH ME), it will still outsell every game this year till Skyrim comes out.
...which happens three days later. Didn't really think that one through, did you?

Personally, I'll skip and get Skyrim instead. You raise a fun question, though... which will sell more?

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Finnaly something worth adding to these games. You now may have sold me the game. Hope this keeps up.

Apr 28, 2008
It makes me sad that it's news when a developer includes a "feature" that has been standard with PC gaming since its beginning.

That wasn't a stab at The Escapist's news reporting or anything, just at the state of the industry in general.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
All that happens when you lock the dev console away and remove dedicated servers is that the hackers get their admin tools anyway and the server host can't do anything to kick them.

lacktheknack said:
wooty said:

I tried laughing, but even that seemed useless. For all the sturm und drang people will give this (SUCKS SO HARDCORE, NEVER PLAY IT, BOYCOTT IT WITH ME), it will still outsell every game this year till Skyrim comes out.
...which happens three days later. Didn't really think that one through, did you?

Personally, I'll skip and get Skyrim instead. You raise a fun question, though... which will sell more?
Modern Warfare 3, easily. The last Elder Scrolls game was released in 2006 and CoD has been right at the forefront of the industry since Modern Warfare was released in 2008-ish. I'll be getting Skyrim though.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Yay! People will stop whining and bitching about this all the time!

Seriously though, this is good news because it means that Activision at least gives half a damn, if not a whole one, about the consumer.

Dec 27, 2010
Well that's nice. Maybe someone can make a mod that's adds some innovation to the series, so I guess MW3 may not be the stagnated puddle I originally predicted it would be.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hmmm... dedicated servers and mod support out of the box?, is this seriously the same Activision we're talking about?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
TestECull said:

An actual good decision from Activision? Wow. Fitting sign is fitting. Now let's see if they also give it a good campaign like they did CoD4.
I laugh everytime I see that because I know it's a real place.
SgtFoley said:
Because of how much Bethesda loves their PC base, and how little Activision loves theirs, Skyrim will outsell MW3 overall, but it will be close.
On the PC it will probably sell more since CoD is not a very popular PC title. Overall it doesnt stand a chance in hell.

That is not exactly entirely true. Cod is popular on the PC its just that PC gamers prefer to pirate it then actually purchase the game.
That's part of it, BUT the main part is the popularity. Whether it's because they don't want to give money to Activision, which pirating it just makes you look like a hypocrite, or the kind of people who pirate it are the kinds who want to play it but not pay for it, I can't say. If you look at the steam statistics, more people on a daily basis still play Counter Strike, and for good reason [sub]in my opinion at least[/sub]

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Yeah, nomods really helped cheating in MW2. *rolleyes*
Looks like activision is working hard to earn that street cred, after it had a "31" tattooed on it's backend.

Didn't read;Don't care
It's good that PC is getting some more support. Being what it is, it raises no interest in me. Though i got to hand over just a little street cred for it. I do give alms to the poor once in a few years.