NASA Joins The Rap Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
NASA Joins The Rap Game

Forget Compton, Brooklyn and Hotlanta. The hottest new MCs are straight reppin' Cape Canaveral.

With shuttle launches now a thing of the past, NASA finds itself with a lot of free time. As you well know, rocket science is incredibly dull, so instead someone at the space agency decided to create a rap video.

Admittedly, it's not exactly Otis [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoEKWtgJQAU&ob=av2e], but it does a solid enough job of mapping out the history of the space shuttle and providing a primer on what exactly NASA does. At least when it's not experiencing audio issues or filling the screen with inexplicable posterization filters.

Of course, that doesn't really explain why this thing is a thing in our segment of reality. Maybe the PR email NASA sent out can help explain this baffling anomaly:

NASA Education created a historical rap video for the Space Shuttle just in time for back to school events.

Um ... okay? That didn't really explain anything, did it?

Alright, so now we have more questions than we did before. Obviously, there's still the "Why is NASA creating hip hop videos?" query, but now we must ask "Why does NASA think this is something crucial to the start of the new school year?"

I grasp the idea that space exploration, rocket science and the underlying physics behind what NASA does are wildly inaccessible to the average person, but I really don't think that baffling rap videos are the best way to inspire kids to look to the stars.

This thing might seem apropos in 1995 when stodgy corporate types still thought rap was a great way to show the youth that they were "down," but it's 2011. Our entire culture is now built on sarcasm and irony, and it certainly doesn't help NASA's case that the production values in play here smack of local cable access. From start to finish this entire concept is flawed.

Actually, I take back what I just said. NASA could make this work, but only if the track was penned by Andre 3000 and liberally sampled Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" and Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet."

I would also accept a Pharcyde/Tilly And The Wall mashup, if Houston would prefer to aim for the indie crowd. NASA, call me and we can make this happen.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
You know these kids are awesome. They fly jets (or something) and are comfortable exchanging high fives...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
They don't sound very energetic. These guys should teach them a thing or two. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hxv1QfQlnU]

A good find anyway!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Don't quit your day job.

When I want science music I go no further than Symphony of Science. At least they can auto-tune properly.

<youtube=zSgiXGELjbc>

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Nouw said:
They don't sound very energetic. These guys should teach them a thing or two. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hxv1QfQlnU]

A good find anyway!
Don't the beat... nnnn drop!

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Makes sense, they want to try and prime the next generation to be more open to spending money on NASA since this generation is clearly not.

They conveniently left out the Challenger and Columbia losses...

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I reckon Jeru the Damaja could do an awesome space rap.

Much better than these guys, although it's...well, 'Not a bad first effort' is probably the nicest thing I could say about it.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
uummmm hey nasa want to win over our children and educate them at the same time how about you acctually try to teach them directly, like y'know in a classroom. with out the song and dance to disguise your information as if its a bad thing your only pushing them away. think how many text books could have been bought with the money spent on this.

though if this had been acctual astronauts beatboxing and freestyling like pros FROM ORBIT, this would have kicked major...MAJOR ass. even if they were rapping about how badass it is to be in godddam space.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I love rap music and I love to see more of it, but goddamn the wordplay was awful. I definitely won't be rushing out to the streets to grab this.

The Diabolical Biz said:
I reckon Jeru the Damaja could do an awesome space rap.
You ever hear some of Canibus' more scientific stuff? A little hard to follow if you're not a science buff, but the shit is nuts.

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
The Grim Ace said:
This what happens when you cut NASA's funding! They get bored and make videos like this.
If you watch NASA TV you will see the true extent of NASA's boredom, they don't have enough money to build super advanced space stuff and Obama has their resources set to an asteroid which is step 4

1. go to moon
2. stay on moon, go to mars
3. start terraforming mars
4. start mining asteroids
5. devolop spaceships capable of extrasolar human transportion
6. devolop FTL spaceships
7. become type 3 Civilization

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Okay, I think this is actually a good thing, because it's irrefutable evidence in supporting the Give NASA Back Their Fucking Funding Campaign that really needs to start happening.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
That was awful. It's like they didn't put any effort into it, the auto tune is horrible and the main rapper looks bored out of his mind.

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
It reminds me of this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=765019771919333912

But I also agree that cutting NASA funding was pretty dumb. How about we start cutting Congress salaries first?

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
REALLY NASA?! REALLY?!!

I don't even....these guys really have nothing to do since the Shuttle Program ended and Obama cut their funding...Its kinda dperessing actually.