Mojang Unveils Their First 3rd Party Game

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mojang Unveils Their First 3rd Party Game

Minecraft developer Mojang is stepping into the publishing business with their first 3rd party title Cobalt.

Okay, that picture on the right there is a bit misleading. Cobalt isn't just Minecraft in the future - as much as that idea might appeal to some, myself included - but a side scrolling action game all about robots. Rolling robots, to be specific. The game is being developed by Oxeye Game Studios, a side studio founded by one of Mojang's current employees Jens 'jeb' Bergenstein. The game's soundtrack is being composed by one Mattias 'Anosou' Häggström, who is currently working on the soundtrack for Mojang's second title, Scrolls.

The game's story sees protagonist, a robotic munchkin called Agent Cobalt, exploring a lost colonization ship and the planet it orbits. The ship, called the Trunkopia, apparently vanished shortly after its first subspace jump only to return with all kind of nastiness on board. So, essentially we're talking Event Horizon with cute robots. I'm sold.

Judging by the trailer the game seems to be an eclectic mix of puzzles and action with copious amounts of slow mo thrown in for good measure. Agent Cobalt appears to spend as much time rolling around on the ground like a clunky, metal Sonic The Hedgehog as he/she/it spends jumping, hacking various computers, and launching rockets all over the place.

Mojang seems to see the new project as a collaboration rather than a traditional publisher-developer deal, claiming that from the company's inception its wanted to work with other indie game studios that shares its philosophy on game design. Namely, "staying close to the community and treating [their products] as a service."

Cobalt will be arriving this fall on Windows, followed by versions for Mac and Linux.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Looks like a day one purchase to me. Games made by people who love games for people who love games.

Not games financed by developers selling their souls to huge publishers.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like that Mojang is getting into publishing, they have to have a lot of money by now and I like their philosophy.
I'd still like to see more gameplay before I pass judgment on the game.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Hey! In Robot Rascals there was an item called Cobalt Cola [http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/robot-rascals/screenshots/gameShotId,318040/].

Obviously, EA should sue.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I love the hell out of that logo :D I wish the graphics in the game had a similar sort of style~

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Funny how slow-mo manages to turn a game's "badass" meter up by +10.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I have a strange feeling that 10 years from now, Mojang will be the new EA, making "Minecraft 7: Deluxe Collectors Member-Ship Only Edition" and charging 2 dollars for every 100 blocks. Ten bucks says it'll happen.

Anyway, looks awesome. Love the art-style, and I have a thing for 2d indie platformers.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Doesn't look very interesting. It seems like your everyday side-scroller but with slo-mo, which isn't a game seller in the slightest.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
This just in, indie developers who made a single popular game work with company founded by another member to create another game! Why did we even bother with this story? because Minecraft!

If any other indie company did this, it wouldn't make the news but Minecraft single handedly made it a hot topic. The benefits of fame just keep on coming.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
This just in, indie developers who made a single popular game work with company founded by another member to create another game! Why did we even bother with this story? because Minecraft!

If any other indie company did this, it wouldn't make the news but Minecraft single handedly made it a hot topic. The benefits of fame just keep on coming.
Hello, welcome to planet Earth. Did someone not explain to you how this works before?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Aww, I misread and thought that Mojang was developing a Party Game. I don't know if I was excited, confused, or intrigued, but now I'm just disappointed.

Publishing is boring.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Not your typical side-scroller, considering it involves, quote:

?Running, jumping, rolling, shooting, throwing, dancing, hacking, rolling, flying, sliding, climbing, looting, deflecting, racing, piñata-ing, passing, scoring? and even more rolling!?

Smerf

May 4, 2011
well, im buying it. i love indie side scrollers and making it avalable for linux only makes me want it more.