Skyrim Will Use Steamworks

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Skyrim Will Use Steamworks

If you're worried about Skyrim requiring players to deal with terrible DRM software, don't worry: Steamworks is the only thing Bethesda's planning on.

While gamers have undoubtedly been dismayed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112370-Ubisoft-Makes-Tiny-Tweak-to-Driver-DRM>at Ubisoft's unpleasant DRM deceisions lately, they can take heart knowing that some publishers are willing to consider other - less terrible - options. Case in point: Bethesda has revealed that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will use Steamworks.

Bethesda's <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/ElderScrolls/status/103844894413557760>announcement via Twitter was big news for gamers, who retweeted the announcement across the Web. Aside from the fact that Steamworks is far less frustrating to deal with DRM software that's always on, it means that Valve's Steam service will be fully integrated with the game.

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313733958&sr=8-1>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is due out on November 11th for PC, PS3, and 360. While Bethesda has confirmed Steamworks, there's still no word on whether or not the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107723-Skyrim-Will-Feature-Tentacle-Bears-Maybe>will feature tentacle bears.

Source: Giant Bomb

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
EVERYTHING I HEAR ABOUT THIS GAME MAKES ME WANT IT EVEN MORE

GIVE IT TO ME, NOW!

/deep breaths

Sorry I've calmed down, would you please let me sell you my kidney for an early copy of Skyrim?

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Oh thank Akatosh. '-_-

If there was one thing that would've caused me to cancel my pre-order it would've been non-Steam DRM. I still have horrible memories of Windows Live. *Shudders*

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
the closer this game is to release, it feels like time goes slower =(

I want it sooooooo bad!!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
bah, this might seem cool, but compared to both Morrowind and Oblivion, this is a huge step backwards. Both those games let me use CD-less options instead of installing securom or some other shit. By making it Steam only, they are screwing over a lot of people who don't want to have anything to do with Steam.

Personally, I'm OK with it because I like having Steam track my progress and launch my games, but I know there are going to be people out there pissed by this.

Note: My post has nothing to do with piracy. I just liked being able to rip my games to an .iso format and use a drive emulation program to keep things simple. Oblivion was one of the last games that let me do that without having to go online for a CD hack. One more reason why I've become such a Steam convert is because I don't need to deal with the disks at all.

Jul 9, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, that's the same as not having DRM at all. Bravo Bethesda. Now if you'd only stop being douches to Mojang...

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
Signa said:
bah, this might seem cool, but compared to both Morrowind and Oblivion, this is a huge step backwards. Both those games let me use CD-less options instead of installing securom or some other shit. By making it Steam only, they are screwing over a lot of people who don't want to have anything to do with Steam.

Personally, I'm OK with it because I like having Steam track my progress and launch my games, but I know there are going to be people out there pissed by this.
like myself.

to me, this is just another reason to get it on a Console. but I'm still not sure.

Oblivion and Morrowind didn't even need CD keys.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
YESSSS!!!!! look. i get bored as s%#$ with bethesda games (personal preference), but this makes me respect them. and ill no doubt buy it anyway eventually, i have morrowind oblivion and fallout 3. steamworks is the only DRM i actually like. it means i can buy the box and still have the game on steam. this means i can use my employee discount to get my copy on the cheap.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Well, thats great. There are plenty of games my computer can handle decently. None of them include Steam Works.

While a lot of people have high-end computers, I like to game on my laptop, which wasn't designed for for the sole purpose of gaming. It has its ups and its downs, but I was really looking forward to running Skyrim on it.

Assuming it was like your average, run of the mill release, I'd be able to run it on medium graphics settings. Unfortunately, the "minimum" specs almost NEVER include what it takes to run Steam Works. And while many can simply shrug off the effects of Steam Works, my computer can't. I can run games without it perfectly, and cannot run games with it at all (seriously. Its pathetic when you can new releases, but can't even boot up Left 4 Dead without it chugging to 4 frames per second).

Looks like Im either going to have to skip this game, or buy it and wait for a cracked version, without Steam Works, to hit the internet (sadly, I had to do this with the original Portal). Which is a fucking shame.

Seriously. DRM, way to ruin another game. I do not condone piracy- but its getting to the point where I can't run games that I bought with my hard earned money unless I find a copy thats been stripped of everything thats bogging the game down. I actually buy the games, just because I like to see the developers get money for their hard work. Ive even bought copys of games to offset the other friends in similar situations. But its getting to the point that Im just raging.

In this day and age, most DRM, INCLUDING STEAM WORKS, is cracked. Often within the first few days. This is NO WHERE near enough incentive to include it into your game. When its getting to the point where customers who dont have high end machines HAVE to turn to piracy just to strip everything thats bogging the game down out of the game, its telling you that you need a change in policy. Like I said, I have intergrity - I will pay for a game, even if I have to turn around and use a pirated copy to run it. I am one of the few. Just words tothink about.

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
That's better than what I expected after what they did with Fallout 3's DRM(goddamn GFWL) I don't even really consider Steam to be DRM, I know it is, but it's just too convenient and consumer friendly to be considered to be DRM by me.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
OMG you draconian drm wielding fucks. I can't believe you would force us to use steam and now I will boycott your product and all future products. I hate you die in a fire.

Couldn't care less but love how it is purposely announced to be a big deal, and the gaming community seems very happy about it. LOL at you EA. Learn a lesson here.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like I will be adding this game to my Legally-Purchased-but-Cracked-Anyway collection.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Personally I am disappointed with the decisive lack of tentacle bears in Skyrim, my purchase could hinge on it.

Seriously tho, that's awesome news for PC gamers.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, that's the same as not having DRM at all. Bravo Bethesda. Now if you'd only stop being douches to Mojang...
Pretty much. Steam is practically my desktop, I give my high fives to this.

OT: I guess Bethesda figured that so many PC gamers are going to run it through Steam *anyways*, why not just make it standard?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Signa said:

Note: My post has nothing to do with piracy. I just liked being able to rip my games to an .iso format and use a drive emulation program to keep things simple. Oblivion was one of the last games that let me do that without having to go online for a CD hack. One more reason why I've become such a Steam convert is because I don't need to deal with the disks at all.
Actually, both Morrowind and Oblivion needed their CDs, at least they did at release. I remember being thoroughly annoyed by both of them.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
SirCannonFodder said:
Signa said:

Actually, both Morrowind and Oblivion needed their CDs, at least they did at release. I remember being thoroughly annoyed by both of them.
Correct, but that is ALL they required. Like I said before, because of the loose restrictions, I could rip my own disks to my HDD and run the game without the disk. It's far more technical than some people might like, but it still was an option. Now that Steam is in the mix, things might end up being different in a bad way. Like I also said, it's not going to affect me, so I can't even suggest how it might be bad (personal aversions to Steam notwithstanding).