Study: Games Help Families Bond

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Study: Games Help Families Bond

There's nothing quite like killing the undead with your garden to bring a family closer together.

It's almost impossible to have a positive conversation about casual games without someone mentioning PopCap, and rightly so. Since getting your grandmother addicted to clicking colored gems in 2000, the developer has gone on to produce some of the best casual games on the market, including 2009's mega-hit Plants Vs. Zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6035-Review-Plants-vs-Zombies]. Now, PopCap has partnered with Goldsmiths University to see exactly how parents are integrating these and other games into their families. The results of their study are interesting to say the least, and a welcome counter to the anti-videogame drivel that seems to sprout up each time a news story involves minors and violence.

After taking PopCap's gaming survey, a whopping 32 percent of parents claim to actively play games with their children, and 80 percent of those consider this to be "quality time." (I guess the other 20 percent must've been playing Green Lantern: Rise of the Man Hunters). One-third of moms and dads playing with progeny report stronger bonding as a result of this activity, and 20 percent of them feel like games have helped given their kids a better sense of technology.

The study also went on to disprove the commonly held belief that playing videogames other than Wii Fit and Dance Central will make children fat, lazy, and unhealthy. The opinions collected show that 75 percent of parents claim their jewel-swapping, bird-slinging, fish-feeding offspring enjoy ample exercise and well-balanced diets. 30 percent have noticed improvements to concentration, and over 50 percent claim their children exhibit improved problem-solving skills (presumably other than whether to use a Wall-nut or a Tall-nut against that Buckethead zombie).

"These findings are important because they highlight the social benefits of playing videogames," said Dr. Tomas "say my name three times fast" Chamorro-Premuzic, Reader in Psychology at Goldsmiths University. "Previous research has tended to look only at the individual effects of video games, but in the era of social networking, games appear to play a vital role in enhancing social relationships. The fact that both parents and grandparents are using games to connect with their children and grandchildren, and quite successfully, suggests that video games can improve social skills and make a key contribution to both effective parenting and child development."

The summation of these findings is nothing but good news. Earlier this year, collector's edition of Uncharted 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109835-Games-Now-Legally-Considered-an-Art-Form-in-the-USA] you've been begging for!

Source: PR Newswire [http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/smart-parents-use-smartphones-to-bond-with-their-kids-128044163.html]

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I always thought this was kind of obvious, I mean playing videogames together isn't all that different from playing scrabble, rummy and dominoes together.

Still I agree with the last point, it might be obvious but for some reason people are more convinced of the validity of an argument if there is a pretty looking chart with numbers on it to back your findings up.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
It makes me sad that this study will be ignored by everyone who wants to blame video games for teen killings and other random acts of violence.
It does make sense though, my sister and I argue a lot but playing LittleBigPlanet together, even if she annoys me with her stupidity we still have fun and we don't argue.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Taking the title of the article at it's word, I played "games" with my family all the time growing up, like board games and card games, and yes I agree it was quality time. Dad and myself each waiting to take turns to play tetris on my Mac Plus--that I'm not so sure.

I'm seeing the possibility for selection bias, recall bias, and publication bias in this study, which I'd be surprised if it didn't have pop cap behind it.

So I agree with the general concept that videogames can be a way for families to interact, but I'm not wow'd by this particular study.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Fearzone said:
I'm seeing the possibility for selection bias, recall bias, and publication bias in this study, which I'd be surprised if it didn't have pop cap behind it.
I tend to take this study with as much confidence as I do any other study, no better or worse. If the purpose of conducting this survey was to, say, sell toothpaste or the like, you have a much higher potential for bias, in so much as the purpose was PR and/or direct sales. These studies were conducted for internal decisions, which is to say, they want to know why people are playing and who. It still makes them money in the end; they make products that will sell better in the market. However, in this scenario, biasing the survey or altering data would actually harm their efforts, not help them.