Atlus Drops Dual-Purpose King Of Fighters XIII Clips

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Atlus Drops Dual-Purpose King Of Fighters XIII Clips

Promotional footage is so 1998. These days, all the cool publishers are offering up videos that also serve as tutorials for upcoming fighters.

Let's say you're a twentysomething gamer. As a child you spent your days in the local arcade, pumping quarters into the Fatal Fury cabinet, and hoping against hope that you could somehow beat the game without having to actually face its totally unfair boss.

Time passed, arcades died off, the Fatal Fury series joined other SNK games, Voltron-style, to form the King of Fighters series, and you eventually lost touch with Terry Bogard. Then, one day, you're typing away at your lucrative, creatively fulfilling job -- for the sake of argument, let's say you're a beloved gaming journalist -- and you receive an email from the fine PR wizards at Atlus USA announcing the imminent release of King of Fighters XIII for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Overjoyed, you pull down the brim of your Fatal Fury trucker cap, and rush out the door to tell everyone you know, only ... something stops you dead in your tracks. A sense of existential dread. What if you no longer know how to throw a Burn Knuckle?

Luckily kids, Atlus has us covered. The latest media blast from the company comes in the form of a series of YouTube videos, each of which both shows off the gorgeous fighter, and offers a primer on the characters therein. Admittedly, this isn't exactly high level game theory, but for those of you who haven't played a KoF game since the Orochi Saga, it offers a nice refresher course.

Plus, the animation in this thing is just gorgeous. The level of care and attention to detail that the animators poured into each fighter is blatantly obvious, and in watching KoFXIII in motion, I can definitely sympathize with those fighting game purists who shun anything 3D.

The King of Fighters XIII is scheduled to hit both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on October 25. As with all Atlus releases, pre-ordering the game will score you some sweet swag; in this case, putting down early cash will net you a 4-CD soundtrack compilation covering the series' entire history.

In the meantime, you can spend the immediate future boning up on your King of Fighters basics, by visiting this YouTube playlist [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg1nBvBpZrw&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPDA83255784B40D43]. I embedded Mai's video above to appease all you creepy otaku folk, but don't let that fool you; the game is far more than ninja boobs.

(It's just that ninja boobs generate massive pageviews. We have shareholders to appease here, guys.)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Okay, Atlus, calm down, slowly and quietly go back to making Persona games.

NOW!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
I STILL WANT RUGAL BACK!!!!

........Anyway, its nice to see tutorial vids. I didn't actually know atlus was involved with KOFXIII

Earnest Cavalli said:
hoping against hope that you could somehow beat the game without having to actually face its totally unfair boss.

He will sten his hans, with yo brad.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Abedeus said:

NOW!
I isn't Atlus publishing it and SNK Playmore making it? Also Persona 2 IS is coming out in September so there is your wish

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Looks good, even though Mai was never a favorite as far as I was concerned (I was always a King fan).

This makes me wish I hadn't lost my KoF XIII poster from Otakon. Ah well...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
BoredRolePlayer said:
Abedeus said:

NOW!
I isn't Atlus publishing it and SNK Playmore making it? Also Persona 2 IS is coming out in September so there is your wish
I still think we need more Persona games.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Abedeus said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Abedeus said:

NOW!
Agree'd, I want persona 5 on the PS3. If I hear the persona game that is coming out for the 3DS is persona 5 I'm going to cry cause I would have to get a 3DS for it T_T.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Well I do love Atlus, when it comes to wacky games they make or import from another company. Everyone should calm down, Persona is not hindered by any of these game imports for Atlus Japan has a section that creates all the SMT series and Catherine specifically.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I've always been a crazy KoF fan. Preferred team was good ol' Kyo, bad ol' Yamazaki, and misunderstood ol' Iori.

And my Mai Sharanui impression : o.0 0.o o.0 0.o o.0

Funnily enough, my eyes do the same thing when watching her .. errmm .. 'kata'.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Ohhh i LOVE the style.
Very classic but smooth.

I would be lying if i said i didn't enjoy SNK fighter(Im having a blast with Garou).
But the move commands in their fighters are really convoluted.
My fingers cant move like that shit!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Then, one day, you're typing away at your lucrative, creatively fulfilling job -- for the sake of argument, let's say you're a beloved gaming journalist
You assume far too much, Nex. ... D'awww who am I kidding?

I eagerly look forward to paying money for this, and I say this as someone who was blatantly ripped off by KOF XII. I just can't stay away now that Vice is back. Look at that roster! It's actually KOF sized. And Terry has Bustah' Wolf! "Are you okay?" Better than I've been in a long time, Terrence old pal.

uzo said:
I've always been a crazy KoF fan. Preferred team was good ol' Kyo, bad ol' Yamazaki, and misunderstood ol' Iori.
Good old, bad old Yamazaki. I used to have hours of fun stomping people's faces into the ground, kicking sand in their eyes... Too bad he's not back yet. Too many fighters missing still. They gotta bring Vanessa back too. Online won't be half as fun if I can't spam "boogie boogie boogie" the whole match. (Plus, she has sexiness) And where's Ozwald already? That guy was just too badass to only put in one game.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...Atlus is known for making some high caliber games.
Still, I'm only gonna be skeptically optimistic on this one. The KoF series has been...mistreated in recent games.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
I embedded Mai's video above to appease all you creepy otaku folk, but don't let that fool you; the game is far more than ninja boobs.

(It's just that ninja boobs generate massive pageviews. We have shareholders to appease here, guys.)
At least you're honest about it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Space Jawa said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I embedded Mai's video above to appease all you creepy otaku folk, but don't let that fool you; the game is far more than ninja boobs.

It just occurred to me that the words, "Mai" "Boobs" and "Boning" appear on this page as well. That outta bring in the creepy otaku google hits! Nice thinking there Nex.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Space Jawa said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

It just occurred to me that the words, "Mai" "Boobs" and "Boning" appear on this page as well. That outta bring in the creepy otaku google hits! Nice thinking there Nex.
That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Abedeus said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Abedeus said:

NOW!
That, and we need KoF cameos in Persona. But that won't happen since Atlus JP had nothing to do with this.

Anyways, fuck yeah! KOF XIII! It's like 00 all over again.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
Good to see they added boob physics. ~.~
Yeah, good lord it's nearly as bad as the original DoA from the Arcade. Seriously, I know Mai is supposed to be eye candy but good Lord, how the hell doesn't she pull a Tina Turner while jumping to and fro is beyond me. And I thought half the fun of a fighting game was discovering moves and combos for yourself by practice?

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
That actually looks pretty good, and not just because of the ninja boobs... although they do help