You Got Your Pokemon In My Minecraft

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
You Got Your Pokemon In My Minecraft

Pokémon and Minecraft: a wildly intriguing combination.

Minecraft mods are a dime a dozen these days. Likewise, absolutely anything involving Pokémon. You'd expect that a pop culture historian like myself would be so jaded by the duo that anything even remotely tied to Creepers or Snorlax would instantly lose my interest, no?

That what I thought too, until I saw Pokemobs in action.

In short, Pokemobs is a Minecraft modification that seeks to add all 151 of the original generation Pokémon to the Minecraft world. It was created by a coding duo self-named "SeaGoingManatee" and "Pwootage" and while the mod currently features only a handful of the old school 'mon, they claim to be well on their way to adding the entire roster.

The neat bit is that the duo also added a number of game mechanics from the hyper-addictive handheld Pokémon roleplaying games as well. These Minecraft 'mon aren't just neat eye-candy, they can also be caught and raised, much as you would in Nintendo's 2D world.

Unfortunately, that's probably the biggest stumbling block for this project. While Minecraft owner Mojang is more than happy to support its fans in whatever sort of crazy modifications they want to develop, Nintendo has a nearly legendary litigious streak. The moment Nintendo notices this thing, the company will rain down a storm of furious cease and desist orders on its creators.

As with most such situations, the creators will realize it mostly futile to fight Nintendo's legal machine and the project will die.

In lieu of this inevitable, bleak future, we should get our fill of (what I alone am calling) Pokémoncraft while it still exists. You can download the mod from the official Minecraft forums [http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/519098-173-the-official-pokemobs-v032/], and the post includes full instructions on how to get the thing up and running.

If any of you catch a Charmander in there, let me know. Since we can't trade, it won't really benefit me directly, but I like to know that all Charmanders are given good homes.

Source: Albotas [http://albotas.com/post/9209477213/you-got-pokeymangs-in-my-minecraft-this-is-a]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
*drools*

DO WANT! Oh boy do I want.

I want to try this now. Badly.

Flying to 'cities' (probably a special, hard to make designator block for that), cut trees faster than any axe, surf faster than a boat with Pokemon, mine using Rock Smash... XD XD

TheAweDude

May 18, 2010
Have to say, this may even compete with the Aether mod for sheer cool factor.

I wonder if they're going to include gen II-V? It would be cool to have a pet Metagross fighting a bunch of creepers.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
And to think I thought there wouldn't be a reason to boot up my desktop tonight. HAHA!
Internet! You continue to amaze me.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
The moment Nintendo notices this thing, the company will rain down a storm of furious cease and desist orders on its creators.
Last I checked there were still dozens of flash-based Super Mario games that use sprites directly taken from the real games. I've also seen a couple of freeware Metroid titles floating around.

OT: This might make Minecraft interesting! Oh, wait a second, Terraria just got an update a few weeks ago. [/terrariafanboy]

rayen020

May 20, 2009
If they could make a server with this mod and a battle sytem to go with it we would probably be the closet we've ever come to a Poke'mon MMO...

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
D: ...
I don't even know how to express teh pure awesomeness this mod is. It's a shame it will be banished into oblivion as soon as Nintendo puts their eyes on it!

So, yep. Pretty awesome.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Fucking awesome, what made it even better was that he stuck to 151(hopefully). Will wait for a few more updates since it only has 15 so far.
rayen020 said:
If they could make a server with this mod and a battle sytem to go with it we would probably be the closet we've ever come to a Pokémon MMO...
Didn't even think about that, sounds awesome also.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Best thing I've seen ALL DAY! Hopefully they'll be able to increase the sizes of some of the pokemon (ex venusaur).

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
...The Pidgey had a circular shadow....circles in minecraft...IMPOSSIBLE~!

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
So this is, basically, a prototypical online 3d Pokémon game.
I fail to see even a single way that the awesomeness of that can be described with words.
And on that topic, HURRY UP WITH A POKÉMON MMO, NINTENDO, I'd drop WoW in a heartbeat for that.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
They might need to fix the size of some of them, but it still looks awesome.
Also make only certain pokemon show up in certain areas of the map.
I'll download it as soon as they finish the whole original set.

OT: If its a non-profit project, and it isnt detramental to their products image, why should Nintendo care.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
but I like to know that all Charmanders are given good homes.
If that's a reference to the original TV show, you sir, deserve all of my praise, ever

*shouts in awkward british/australian-ish but not really accent*

"CHAHHMUHNDUUUUEEER, RETUUUUEEERN!"

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Nintendo? Litigious? Tell that to the million-and-one people making zelda and mario derivative games...

Anyway, seems... Eh. At this point, minecraft news is difficult to be surprised by really...