Ubisoft Drops From Dust DRM [In Two Weeks]

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Drops From Dust DRM [In Two Weeks]

Ubisoft has pledged to remove all online authentication DRM from the PC version of From Dust [http://www.amazon.com/Ubisoft-40767From-Dust1-From-Download/dp/B005H40K7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314116566&sr=8-1] within the next couple of weeks.

There was some question as to whether or not Ubisoft's notorious always-on DRM would be applied to the PC version of From Dust, Eric Chahi's god game that came out earlier this month. At first, the word was that the game would not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111941-From-Dust-Always-On-DRM-Rumors-Denied-UPDATED] require a net connection to play, but it became clear after its release that this was not the case at all and that gamers would have to be connected in order to play. Needless to say, this did not go over well with folks who bought the thing under the assumption that they could play it wherever and whenever they pleased.

But after some stumble-footed bobbing and weaving that made the situation even uglier, the publisher announced yesterday [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751064939/m/1511052349] that all online authentication will be removed from the game in an upcoming patch. There's even an apology for all the dicking around.

"We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Our tech teams are working on a patch that should release in approximately two weeks that will eliminate the need for any online authentication. This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who's progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally. Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100% offline."

It's a big improvement over the "Driver: San Francisco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112370-Ubisoft-Makes-Tiny-Tweak-to-Driver-DRM], which no longer requires an always-on connection to play but still demands that players log in to Ubi servers every time the game starts. The two-week delay strikes me as more likely an attempt to squeeze some mileage out of the DRM before it's gone, but Ubisoft's explanation isn't entirely beyond reason so I'm willing to let it slide.

I'm also hopeful that the sudden turn-around means Ubisoft is taking a second look at its overall DRM policies and maybe reconsidering the wisdom of forcing people to be online each and every time they want to play a game. High hopes, I know, but if we see a similar reversal in Driver: San Francisco, rather than the meaningless sidestep we've been given, there may just be a reason for optimism.

Feb 13, 2008
I'm just waiting for the "Oh dear...you've lost all your save states?" riot to appear.

We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear.
Horseshit. You knew exactly what you were doing from the start.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Meh don't care, still not interested in buying this game even though it does look interesting

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder how many players are buying this line...

Oh dont worry, dont cancel your pre orders we wont use that DRM!

Oh dear, how did that DRM slip in there... someone accidently coded it in there, sort of setup the servers to check for the authentication , and kind of reserved some server space for the saves.

Oh we are sorry, we will remove the DRM... kind of after the initial launch period so you evil pirating scum of gaming... err.. I mean valued customers cant <a-hem>... backup! Thats it backup your copies for a bit *smiles*

Bullshit! The DRM was there even when you promised us it wouldnt be in this game, and you had absolutely no intention of launching the title without the DRM present.
Ahh I love Ubisoft, they make it so easy to boycott thier products.

Apr 28, 2008
I'll actually buy From Dust once this is done to show my support.

Do this for all your games, and I will gladly buy from you again.

Of course, none of this crap would be happening if you just didn't put the DRM in in the first place, but nah, this is a time for saying "good job".

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
I'm still not buying this game. For one thing it's a terrible port and for another I'm not supporting a studio laying about it's product even if it eventually makes it right.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm not opposed to at-launch DRM that's removed a few weeks later, or as soon as a crack is released that gets around it. One of the most common arguments against DRM is that it always gets cracked anyway, and pirates get a better product than paying customers. However, it's not uncommon for a game to go a week or two before someone figures out how to break the DRM.

In other words, if they only leave the DRM there while it's still effective, one of the strongest arguments against it will lose a lot of its significance. It'll make customers feel better, and make Ubisoft (or other companies) look better. It worked for The Witcher 2, so I don't see why more companies don't try this scheme.

Their blatant lies, however, are inexcusable. I don't care if they remove it afterwards, they should never have said there'd be no DRM to begin with unless they meant it.

P.S. Thanks

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Covarr said:
I'm not opposed to at-launch DRM that's removed a few weeks later, or as soon as a crack is released that gets around it. One of the most common arguments against DRM is that it always gets cracked anyway, and pirates get a better product than paying customers. However, it's not uncommon for a game to go a week or two before someone figures out how to break the DRM.

In other words, if they only leave the DRM there while it's still effective, one of the strongest arguments against it will lose a lot of its significance. It'll make customers feel better, and make Ubisoft (or other companies) look better. It worked for The Witcher 2, so I don't see why more companies don't try this scheme.

Their blatant lies, however, are inexcusable. I don't care if they remove it afterwards, they should never have said there'd be no DRM to begin with unless they meant it.

P.S. Thanks
Witcher 2 didn't have DRM, as far as I know. I could be mistaken, as I got mine DRM free off Gog.com, so I don't know if the retail boxed versions could have had it.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Well that would make sense, because this game was already cracked and that annoying DRM has no purpose anymore.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I predicted that the From Dust DRM would be craacked in 2 days or less.

I predicted that those who bought it on Steam would demand refunds.

I was right on both counts.

OF COOOOOUUURRSEEE Ubisoft were going to take the DRM down. They could finally see that it did nothing but hurt their sales, credibility and their relationship with Valve (Over a breach of contract). I'm just surprised that it took them so long to see.

Captcha: scretle growth (WTF!?!)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Too little, Too late Ubisoft.

Because the game started with DRM, and I have something called a MEMORY. It will remain on my DO NOT BUY LIST perminantly. Until Ubisoft drops its absolutely idiotic attack on its customers, I'm not buying anything they put out. Which probably means never because why would they want happy customers that would just be ... smart.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
Witcher 2 didn't have DRM, as far as I know. I could be mistaken, as I got mine DRM free off Gog.com, so I don't know if the retail boxed versions could have had it.
It depends where you purchased it. The retail box version had Securom, the Steam version only had only Steam's DRM that all Steam games have, and the GOG version had no DRM. They pretty much had to remove it though, since it was making the game take forever to start up and ruining the framerate.

P.S. Thanks

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Covarr said:
RikuoAmero said:
It depends where you purchased it. The retail box version had Securom, the Steam version only had only Steam's DRM that all Steam games have, and the GOG version had no DRM. They pretty much had to remove it though, since it was making the game take forever to start up and ruining the framerate.

P.S. Thanks
CD projekt did use SecuROM, but they removed it in a day one patch, supposedly to prevent early leaks. That's what I read at least.

On the topic: I still probably wont get From Dust anyway, I've had it with Ubisoft. Assassin's Creed has pretty much become the only good series they have, and even that game isn't that good (in my opinion). They'll probably just run it into the ground anyway.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I've withdrawn my request for refund now, it might send them a message that they'll make more money treating their customers with respect.

ImprovizoR said:
Why would they do that? I thought they said their DRM is awesome!
Thousands of people demandng their money back isn't so awesome though.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I never really cared about their DRM scheme. I'd much rather they fix the controls for the PC version, because that's the game-breaking thing for me.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
good for some people I suppose, tho I'm not planning on getting those games :/ (on any platform)

tho I was interested in From Dust, if only for a few moments considering the Summer of Arcade thing going on

Wuks95

Aug 23, 2011
Instead of all of these DRMs, why don't they put all that money in advets, promotions and better game production and optimization. This way everyone is going to pirate it. I guess Witcher 2 was one of the few who did it right.