Rumor: 2D-loving 3DS Coming Next Year

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: 2D-loving 3DS Coming Next Year

A revamped 3DS and an extra analog stick may be in store for gamers in 2012.

After a less-than-stellar launch last June, disappointing sales and skeptical investors have kept the 3DS from becoming the shining gem Nintendo had initially hoped. The company's rescue response has been swift, already including free games for early 3DS adopters, an unprecedentedly abrupt $80 price cut, and even a personal apology letter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112047-Satoru-Iwata-Writes-Letter-of-Apology-for-3DS-Price-Drop] from the big man himself, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. Now, it seems like one more lifeboat might be headed toward the Titanic. A French news site is reporting an upcoming major overhaul to the handheld, including a second circle pad and a heightened focus on 2D gaming.

According to 01Net's [http://www.01net.com/editorial/537862/nintendo-l-and-039-envers-du-decor-confidences-d-and-039-un-employe-de-big-n/] inside source, Nintendo is preparing to roll out a new, modified version of the 3DS which, aside from adding new controls, "radically tones down" its 3D capabilities. Ever weary that current 3DS owners may feel bamboozled by sudden improvements for new buyers, Nintendo will also reportedly be selling an external accessory to give "old" 3DS systems the same second analog stick as its freshly redesigned counterparts.

The alleged insider goes on to report that Nintendo has already asked "a select group of developers" to get to work making games for its upcoming iteration of the console, as well as an accessory-modified version of the current 3DS. This secret source also asserts that many third-party developers are growing increasingly frustrated by the way Nintendo has handled this kerfuffle, claiming shortages in 3DS development kits and long waiting lists to receive one of the paltry 300 units being produced per month.

Supposedly, all of these additions are slated for a 2012 release, though Nintendo has yet to confirm any of this. I'm generally not one for rumors, but 01Net does has some decent credentials under its virtual belt, releasing accurate specs for both the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita prior to official announcement. No matter what happens with the 3DS, we can be certain that Nintendo won't sit idly by while gamers and stockholders continue to grumble. Whether that revitalization will entail a re-branded console and external accessory, only time will tell.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.01net.com/editorial/537862/nintendo-l-and-039-envers-du-decor-confidences-d-and-039-un-employe-de-big-n/]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
3DS isn't doing so hot right now. Especially lacking content. The original DS wasn't so hot either, though after remodeling it to the Lite, it took off. Perhaps this will happen to the 3DS, because if not, Sony is in a prime position to take the handheld lead.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Wow, more proof that no one, ever, under any circumstances, should be an early adopter of Nintendo hardware.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I should never have bought the 3DS on launch.

I hate you Nintendo.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
megs1120 said:
Wow, more proof that no one, ever, under any circumstances, should be an early adopter of Nintendo hardware.
Also this. I'm extremely glad I waited. I KNEW this would happen.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
The important thing is they learned their lesson that gimmicks don't sell too hot. wait no they didn't... So now what are they going to call it? 3/2D DS? Suppose that's not too weird of a title anymore, thank you kingdom hearts.

I'll probably purchase the revamp I'm sure if 3D is taken out of the mix depending on what the game schedule looks right. If everyone jumps ship forget it, but assuming most rpg companies are on like the DS lineup then there will be some decent games to pick up for it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Games games games, Nintendo. You got so caught up in your own 3D hype, you forgot why people buy games consoles in the first place. You can't launch a console with a library of remakes and sequels, regardless of how good the originals were. It needs to differentiate itself from previous consoles; people aren't going to look at the graphics and the 3D and say "wow, that's new". They're going to look at the games and say "well that looks pretty cool, but I can already play these on my normal DS, just with normal graphics, but it'll be a lot cheaper".

At the moment, whenever I see the 3DS, all I see is the next iteration of the Nintendo DS;, just shinier and with 3D. What I don't see is a brand new handheld console in its own right.

Forget about making a new 3DS and focus all your energy on making new, original titles.

The Eyeball Moose

Jun 16, 2011
I bought the 3DS after the price cut and felt bad for the people who were duped, but it looks like no one can escape the ripoff circle. Why can't you just leave what you have out there and quit making new crap?
Apparently the winning move in this game is not to play.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Well, Nintendo made the mistake of not ensuring there were quality launch titles for the system that took good advantage of its capabilities. They rushed it out with weak software support and now they're paying for it. At least the Wii came packaged with Wii Sports and they had Twilight Princess as a launch title, or if not at launch, soon after. Right now, the 3DS has pretty much just OoT and a few fighters. If I was Nintendo, I'd worry more about making more first-party games and dev kits rather than changing the hardware so quickly. You want people to buy your system? Give 'em some games to play on it!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Ooh, a new iteration of the 3DS! Surprising! Good thing I waited, I'm much rather have this. I don't care about 3D and a second analog pad sounds awesome.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
megs1120 said:
This.

So... screw the 3D (which was the main selling point of the system) and lets make something that looks more like the Vita?

How are the "old" 3DS models suppose to play a game designed for two analog nubs? Man, this entire year for Nintendo handhelds has been epic fail.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
megs1120 said:
Rumors aren't proof until they're truth.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Lord Beautiful said:
At least they're consistent in their behavior. Honestly, was anyone surprised by this?
Nope, after the abysmal launch they had I was wondering if they were gonna come out with a new version of that like they did with the DS.

This is a lesson for all of us, never be an early adopter of Nintendo because you will be screwed over.

AGenericHero

Jul 31, 2011
Welp, I'm glad I choosing to buy Nintendo consoles until way later. I'll do the same with the Wii-U. God help Nintendo if the thing bombs.