Sonic CD Speeding Towards XBLA

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sonic CD Speeding Towards XBLA

If you're coming to PAX Prime this weekend, Microsoft's going to have Sonic CD on display for you to check out.

Sega's recent Sonic the Hedgehog games for consoles have been ... let's just say "less than great" and leave it at that. That said, the publisher's DLC Sonic titles like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8240-Review-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-4-Episode-1>Sonic 4 have been pretty delightful. Now, it turns out that Sega is bringing yet another beloved Sonic game to Xbox Live: <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_cd>Sonic CD.

Major Nelson let the news slip during his news post about what was going to be on display at Microsoft's PAX Prime booth this weekend:

Xbox 360 Booth #432
Mass Effect 3 has landed... in the Xbox 360 booth! Come on by to check it out, along with a slew of Xbox LIVE Arcade titles: Trials Evolution, Skulls of the Shogun, Crimson Alliance, Splatters, Orcs Must Die, Ms. Splosion Man, Retro City Rampage, Sonic CD, War of the Worlds and Trine 2.

Nelson didn't really offer any further details about the game. Seeking further information, though, Eurogamer contacted Sega about Sonic CD's upcoming release. Sega only responded with "We don't have any details at this time, but we'll be sharing some more information soon."

Source: Major Nelson and <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-23-sonic-cd-heading-to-xbox-live-arcade>Eurogamer

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
I actually never owned a Sega CD, but this will certainly be interesting! The gameplay looks a lot like Sonic The Hedgehog, and that's always a welcome game.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Damn you Sega! I want Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on XBLA! I want HD Chous!

Also i want to feel epic again in the first mission, you know, when this song plays?

But this will do...for now >.>

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
arc1991 said:
Damn you Sega! I want Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on XBLA! I want HD Chous!

Also i want to feel epic again in the first mission, you know, when this song plays?

But this will do...for now >.>
I'd love that too! The only 3D Sonic game I found to have any sort of decent controls, at least for the Sonic/Shadow levels. The Knuckles/Rouge levels weren't that bad, but I have to say I couldn't stand the Tails/Robotnik (SCREW THE NAME EGGMAN!) levels. Too slow, too annoying.

I grew up with Sonic, but I was never able to get my hands on a Sega CD, so I never had the chance to play this game. Put it up soon, MS!

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
Weird, I was playing Sonic on my 360 yesterday and kept thinking they shuld bring CD to XBLA. Stop spying on me Microsft, it's getting creepy now.
But seriously, I can't wait for this CD was one of my favourite Sonic games from the 90's.

Episode42

Nov 28, 2010
I realise this is about the Sonic CD (the one game i could never find for my Mega CD) but did they just announce a War Of The Worlds game. After some minor research, i see it's being narrated by Patrick Stewart! Whoooo!!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The Sonic Retro forums are filled with a bunch of hush-hush hinting by people who just happen to have the technical skill to do a great job with something like this, make it better than a simple emulation job. No confirmation on anything, no indication which soundtrack it's gonna get, but it's probably safe to expect it'll combine the best aspects of the Sega CD, PC, and Gems Collection versions of the game (I'm guessing high quality sound effects from Sega CD, high quality FMVs from Gems Collection, quick load times from PC version).

Again, this isn't actual confirmation, but it seems likely that at the very least, we can expect this to be less broken than Sonic Adventure for the 360.

P.S. Thanks

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
chaosyoshimage said:
This or the Gems Collection, hmm...which one to finish my Sonic collection?
The gems collection has Fighters, Sonic R, and Tails Advernture. Only consider buying for the "so bad its good" appeal.
I already have a physical copy of Tail's Adventure (And a couple of the other Game Gear games) and Sonic R (It's PC though and doesn't work on my computer, not that I'd be likely to play it). I'm curious about The Fighters.

Covarr said:
The Sonic Retro forums are filled with a bunch of hush-hush hinting by people who just happen to have the technical skill to do a great job with something like this, make it better than a simple emulation job. No confirmation on anything, no indication which soundtrack it's gonna get, but it's probably safe to expect it'll combine the best aspects of the Sega CD, PC, and Gems Collection versions of the game (I'm guessing high quality sound effects from Sega CD, high quality FMVs from Gems Collection, quick load times from PC version).

Again, this isn't actual confirmation, but it seems likely that at the very least, we can expect this to be less broken than Sonic Adventure for the 360.

P.S. Thanks
I hope so, I heard that the Gems Collection version wasn't perfect, this annoyed me. I'm also annoyed there's no Lock-On Technology in Sonic's UGC either. None of my Sonics will ever be perfect!

Wasn't Sonic Adventure pretty broken to begin with?

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
vansau said:
Sega's recent Sonic the Hedgehog games for consoles have been ... let's just say "less than great" and leave it at that.
Since when was Colors considered less than great? Well, maybe NOT great, but it was pretty good.

Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
I can confirm this, there's a lot of hush-hush around the implications this Sonic CD port might not be a port but a straight up remake on a different engine.