Rumor: Cheap Components Hurting Wii U Development

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Cheap Components Hurting Wii U Development

Nintendo has apparently been cutting corners in places the Wii U can't really afford.

French technology site, 01net [http://www.01net.com/editorial/537918/nintendo-lenvers-du-decor-wii-u-un-developpement-a-probleme-(2-5)/], is reporting that developers are having difficulties making games for the Wii U. Sources suggest that the problem is the hardware built into the Wii U's unique controller, which isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing.

According to 01net's sources, the wireless function of the Wii U's controller does not work at all, even after three different prototypes. A fourth version is supposedly on its way, and is expected at the end of the month. Until then, and perhaps after too, developers are using a wired controller, which still doesn't work properly, even with Nintendo sending software updates for it on an almost daily basis. Supposedly, the chip that powers the controller is a little on the cheap side, which is making it impossible for developers to work on the Wii U's more interesting and unique features.

If these rumors are true - and 01net has a good track record [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109303-Rumored-Tech-Specs-Give-Wii-2-More-Power-Than-Xbox-360] in that department - it sounds like someone at Nintendo has made a really, really big mistake. Nintendo has hardly been secretive about the fact that it wants to keep manufacturing costs down for the Wii U, but it sounds like it might have to go back to the drawing board - literally - if it can't get the current hardware to work.

Source: via Nintendo World Report [http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/27583]

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Sounds like the best way to avoid a mass RROD like issue at launch is to wait till the version that inevitably comes after the launch version.
In short, avoid being a beta tester that had to pay full price by waiting till the impatiant ones have 'helped' Nintendo fix the launch models issues.

Hang on though, I thought console manufacturers got thier income from sales of the software on thier platform and not so much from the actual console sales itself ?
Whats the point of risking a bad launch with potential failures on cheap components, and thus diminishing the playerbase who will buy software, which in turn diminishes the number of developers willing to invest in developing a title on a platform with a diminished playerbase.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What is it with Nintendo lately? It's like they were in a car crash and suffered brain damage or something. For the past year almost every Nintendo-related story was some sort of fail, blunder or bad idea on their part...

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
Oh, Nintendo. Why can't you just make consoles like you did before, all we want is a basic controller and a bunch of kickass games, nothing more.

WeAreJimbo

May 17, 2010
So the ones we played with at E3 were probably wired and not just tethered as we were told.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
JBGigas said:
Oh, Nintendo. Why can't you just make consoles like you did before, all we want is a basic controller and a bunch of kickass games, nothing more.
Here here. I don't care about the new and fancy, I just want to play Mario Kart 2523 and Metroid 271 with new puzzles and graphics.
Stop being mean to the developers Nintendo, and just make a quality console =|
I don't care if I have to pay $20 extra for a chip that actually works, just make it so...

RKOking226

Jan 5, 2011
*Facepalm* So you can't make good quality games with crappy hardware? Hey, I never thought about it till now...

Pull your stuff togeather and make an unique, interesting game intead of some gimmicky 3D console!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Wow, Nintendo is really starting to look like a used cars salesman now, if this is true it should stop being so cheap and work on making sure it makes a quality product.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
If you listen closely you can almost hear all that touted third party support running away from the WiiU like it was covered in flaming cow shit. Every day it's proven more and more that the Wii was nothing more than a fad and the Nintendo that thought the N64 and Gamecube were good ideas is still there and running the show. Nintendo just needs to go the way of Sega and stop messing around with hardware and focus on their strong suit, that being software.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JBGigas said:
exactally..in fact why cant nintendo make a new game? not mario zelda or metroid...somthing NEW

if I gave a crap (which I dont) I would say STOP panderingto nostalga and get your act together!

personally I have a feeling all the good will nintendo gets is run purley by nostalga...but the nostalga goggles are begining to crack....

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Nintendo itself is a failing company, they need to revamp their gaming genres combined with newer IPs.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Jandau said:
What is it with Nintendo lately? It's like they were in a car crash and suffered brain damage or something. For the past year almost every Nintendo-related story was some sort of fail, blunder or bad idea on their part...
I'm thinking the same thing, something's wrong...

Anyway, doesn't sound like much of a problem for gamers, it'll be fixed by the time it comes out, but if devs sour, the WiiU could suffer the same horrible 3rd party support that the wii did.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jandau said:
It's not like cutting corners is anything new for Nintendo. Sure, thi time it might bite them in the ass, but it's hardly a new problem.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Ya know what Nintendo, screw that Wii U, get to work on a solid platform that just has a controller and works well.
Like a Gamecube 2.0

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
How much is the Wii U going to sell for again?

Hopefully, Nintendo fixes this soon and before it launches. Otherwise, they'll have a lot of unhappy people to deal with. Though, this does beg the question. What is the point of this controller? It doesn't seem to work and won't be usable in 90+% of the games on the console. So, why have it? Other than as a gimmick.

Then again, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, so it doesn't really bother me.

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
Nintendo is making it very hard for me to hold onto what little loyalty i have left. I'm still steamed after the 3DS fiasco.