Microsoft Doesn't Want Sony's Sloppy Seconds

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Microsoft Doesn't Want Sony's Sloppy Seconds

Microsoft exec makes it clear that if another platform gets a game first, then Microsoft doesn't want it.

Ever notice how the game osmosis between Xbox Live and PlayStation Network seems to be a one way thing? It's a fair bet that any game that appears on the Xbox Live Marketplace will, eventually - after a great deal of hand wringing - make its way over to PSN, whereas if you're a 360 owner eyeing a PSN exclusive, you're out of luck. Apparently, that's a deliberate decision on Microsoft's part. Talking to Eurogamer, Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis explained that Microsoft policy states that non-exclusive titles have to launch at exactly the same time, and with exactly the same content, as the versions for other platforms, if they don't, Microsoft can decide to simply not release them.

Microsoft's Content Submission and Release Policy states:

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available. If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."
Yep, it extends to disc-based games too. Essentially, any title released for the 360 must have exactly the same on-disc content as it's PS3 or Wii counterpart. There are ways around the policy, of course. L.A Noire got away with offering launch exclusive content for PS3 owners by packaging it as DLC. Microsoft also seems to play fast and loose with its own rules depending on the size of the franchise in question. The 360 version of Mortal Kombat, for example, comes with absolutely no bonus content, while the PS3 version has surly egghead Kratos from God of War as an on-disc bonus character. For whatever reason, Microsoft chose to turn a blind eye to that one.

It all sounds a bit childish really, but Lewis argues the policy has a positive effect on the industry. "We just want what our consumers want from us," he said. "We want to be where they want us to be. We want the quality bar of what they experience from us to continue to go up. I think it has to happen. Everybody's got to do that. If we want to continue to command healthy average selling prices, which we all do, that which we offer our consumers has got to keep getting better. Despite the fact it can be irksome to have such strong competition all the time, it actually does keep us on our toes. It's great for everyone, and it makes for a very healthy race to higher and higher levels of quality of game experiences."

A representative from a publisher, who wishes to remain anonymous, lest he/she face Microsoft's biblical wrath, disagreed. Talking to Eurogamer, they said, "Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts]

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I have come to a conclusion that Sony is bad with its customers, Microsoft are dicks to there's and Nintendo are Customer's Bitches. Well that my opinion. Its a shame that Xbox gamers don't get a chance to play Sony's games.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So that means Ratchet and Clank will never come to 360?

Fine with me Microsoft. I'll keep my PS3 nice and safe just so I can play the best 3rd person, funny, over the top, super fun, platformers ever made.
Yes that may seem like fanboyism but if you two won't play nice I'll just have to separate my consoles into opposite rooms! I think next firmware update for the Xbox will eject dirt out of the disc drive at the player if they mention Playstation games in the same room.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Doesn't MS reserve the right to block whatever content they want?

That aside, this seems like a poor policy for MS. While it may have pushed some developers to ensure that the XBox version wasn't delayed the overall effect is probably deleterious. Is it really a good idea to give your costumers a reason to buy a competitor's console?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Surely, if they want what their customers want, they will be accommodating to as many titles as possible? They are essentially giving Sony more exclusive titles, so people have more reason to pick the PS3 over the 360 in terms of games available (we'll skip over all the other endless backwards-and-forwards arguments about everything else).

Do Microsoft expect to be getting high fives for not allowing their customers to play certain titles because the other boys got to play them first?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
That is one of the most childish things that I've ever heard out of a supposed corporation where adults work.
"If I can't get a toy at the same time as Timmy does, and in the same condition, then I don't want it! Hmph!"

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Just ask for Marcus Fenix in Mortal Kombat to make up for Kratos's appearance.

Also, it seems like a wise decision.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
SgtFoley said:
TimeLord said:
So that means Ratchet and Clank will never come to 360?

Fine with me Microsoft. I'll keep my PS3 nice and safe just so I can play the best 3rd person, funny, over the top, super fun, platformers ever made.
Yes that may seem like fanboyism but if you two won't play nice I'll just have to separate my consoles into opposite rooms!
Not unless both microsoft and ratchet and clanks developers want it. All this states is that microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360 if you dont release it on the 360 either first or at the same time as other platforms. So it pretty much means no way in hell will they ever allow something to come out on another platform but if it is an insanely popular game they just may allow it. Although I doubt they would take that from any game short of a call of duty title.
Seems to me that Microsoft would just say; "Nope" just because there have been 7 R&C games exclusive to Sony so far. I'm pretty sure Insomniac doesn't care about putting R&C on the Xbox anyway. All of which I'm perfectly fine with.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmmm, Microsoft not scrambling for every avaliable opportunity to wrangle more money? What kind of parrallel universe did I wander into?

Definitely sounds a bit childish

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I have an interesting Idea for selling large quantities of games to the public.

Sell the games on your platform...

There done.

Seriously the industry is going to hell with all these whiney money grubbing corporations throwing hissy fits and jerking us around.

Only tards are fanboys, I get my games on the platform that best suits the game or the best price. Right now I sway to the PC side, because I get mad games for cheap as it where.

I for one think it is just ridiculous what Ea did with Origin, because they didn't work it out with steam.

Xbox has no idea how to do dlc correctly especially since xbox live costs money and has no effect on pricing.

The wii sucks, don't prove me wrong just admit defeat.

And I never bought a ps3, because I am not interested in what it was putting out there, I have my ps2, good enough.

hopefully there is a major collapse in the industry and they have to rise from the ashes ,hopefully, not a bunch of dicks as they are now.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available. If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

*Ahem*

"Don't cross the streams!"

Yeah. I'm just gonna let that sit there for a while.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
maybe they're saying this cause the plan o release a console in the nexxt year or two to replace the 360 and say "what? oh that only applied to teh 360, not this new console. dont you people read?"

but whatever. anyhting the 360 wants to do to make itself look foolish, i'll fully endorse.

hypermonkey

Oct 18, 2007
Do Microsoft not realize that this policy effectively gives Sony PSN exclusives?

Talk about cutting of your nose in spite of your face.