Dishonored Website Goes Live With Hot New Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dishonored Website Goes Live With Hot New Screens

Dishonored has a brand new website and a pile of sexy screenshots that have me giddy with excitement.

I've had an interest in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Pc/dp/B005C2D2H4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314216356&sr=8-3]. But now, thanks to the newly-launched Dishonored website and the delicious screens it's packing, I've moved on to full-out drooling.
[gallery=439]
Five of these screens are brand new, a few debuted at Gamescom over the weekend and others are from Quakecon earlier this month, but they all have one thing in common: they look awesome. The influence of Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Pc/dp/B00006I02Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314217326&sr=8-1] veteran Viktor Antonov is obvious but what really turns my crank is the neo-Victorian look of the whole thing. The promise of "sandbox assassination," with supernatural powers and a "play your way" design in a decaying, "retro-future" world, has me pretty wound up too.

It's a lofty goal, but Arkane's previous games both did a good job of providing alternative approaches to most situations. The system tended to break down in the later stages of the game - sooner or later, you gotta hit somebody - but if the studio can stretch it out for the duration and make Dunwall feel like a living, breathing city, this could turn out to be a very impressive game. Dishonored won't be out until sometime next year which means there's still plenty of time for disappointment, but at this stage I sure do like what I see. Check out the all-new, all-awesome Dishonored website at dishonored.com [http://dishonored.com/].

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
First screenshot looks identical to the HL2 APC.
Looks epic, though, and I've been interested in this game since they announced it. Quite excited to see how it turns out.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wait, is that the Source engine, in some screens it looks like but I hope not, the Source doesnt seem to be the best engine for a "sandbox assassination" game.

And whats up with the APC, cant the guy make it different then the one in Half Life?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
"Identical" is a stretch, but "very much like," yes, no argument here. I do hope it's not too Half-Life-2-ish, but even with the obvious similarities I really am digging the visual direction of these screens.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Copy Paste Striders...I didn't even like HL2 and if it's on the Source engine I will never touch it. Rage however....

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Is it just me, or has Bethesda started making a habit of fast-producing some rather cash in projects? Sure they haven't looked like it at first, but once they've been released they tend to just sink under completely.
Maybe I'm wrong, just the impression I get.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
I absolutely loved what Viktor did in Half-Life 2. I don't care if similar elements in Dishonored look identical to HL2, the art style looks amazing. After playing Deus Ex 3, I'm up for another FPS/RPG stealth hybrid. Don't eff it up, Arkane!

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
josemlopes said:
Wait, is that the Source engine, in some screens it looks like but I hope not, the Source doesnt seem to be the best engine for a "sandbox assassination" game.
Oh I don't know about that. Vampire Bloodlines was a pretty good sand-box game. Take into account the fact that it was made in the Source Engine and completed before Half Life 2. Making it the first game to use the Source Engine. I'd say Source is perfectly capable of rendering a sand box game. AND, I assassinated alot of peoples in that game. :3

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Anyone else want to know what exactly the address is for this so-called new website for Dishonored? Every time I try to Google it, I come up with nothing conclusive.

Not that I'm all that interested in this game (the aesthetics of the game don't really appeal to me), but at least throw us a bone here.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
I loved Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and I really love steampunk. This has great potential.

However with great potential comes massive dissapointment.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Oh, I get it. So this is what Episode 3 has turned into? Gotta say, I kind of dig steampunk City 17.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
doggie015 said:
That first screenshot is almost a carbon copy of the APC with some features ripped from the "buggy" and the boat in screenshot 5 looks like something the combine would use to find the Borealis!

But still... We are long overdue for SOMETHING HL related!
I'm fairly certain this is not on the source engine and has literally nothing at all whatsoever to do with HL2 except that they have the visual designer who did HL2 working for them. Also since when did the combine use whale oil as a source of energy?

ZombieGenesis said:
Is it just me, or has Bethesda started making a habit of fast-producing some rather cash in projects? Sure they haven't looked like it at first, but once they've been released they tend to just sink under completely.
Maybe I'm wrong, just the impression I get.
What gave you that impression exactly? The fast cash in project is the one that's a completely new IP with gameplay that's reminiscent of Deus Ex, where you play an assassin who can resolve the entire problem without killing? That's the cash in product?

Anyway where the hell is this new website? Andy Chalk you bugger, post the link! You've left me in suspense here.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Hey guys, my bad for not including the link to the Dishonored site - I have no idea how I forgot that, although my rampaging excitement over those screens may have had something to do with it. In any event, the site is at dishonored.com [http://dishonored.com]. The original post has been updated as well.