Conan Scriptwriter Ruminates On Failure

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Conan Scriptwriter Ruminates On Failure

Sean Hood, one of the many script writers for the recent flop-tastic Conan the Barbarian 3D, talks about what it's like to work on a bad film

Remember when you were about six, and you worked really hard on that drawing of Iron Man, only to realize it was utterly terrible in every way? I bet that made you feel really bad. Hours of work, and dozens of felt tips ruined, and for what? For nothing, just a brief glimpse of success as it slips from your fingers and flutters into the ether. Now imagine that feeling of abject failure multiplied by about million, and instead of your mom bringing you a glass of orange juice and telling you you'll get better with practice, you've got thousands of grumpy critics calling you a hack and tens of thousands of random gits on the internet calling you even worse names. How do you think that feels? Not very nice, apparently, as Conan the Barbarian 3D screenwriter Sean Hood explains in his column for Quora.

"A movie's opening day is analogous to a political election night," he writes, "Although I've never worked in politics, I remember having similar feelings of disappointment and disillusionment when my candidate lost a presidential bid, so I imagine that working as a speechwriter or a fundraiser for the losing campaign would feel about the same as working on an unsuccessful film."

He then goes on to describe, in sobering detail, how his initial creative excitement gave way to denial, and eventually soul-crushing despair, as the "tracking numbers" and responses to the initial screenings came in. After "adjusting [his] expectations" - the movie was originally expected to make as much as The Expendables which, although also fairly terrible [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_expendables/], made a fair bit of cash - he began to "selectively ignore bad news" and highlight the good.

"You tell yourself to just enjoy the process," he added. "That whether you succeed or fail, win or lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle."

Sadly for Hood, that miracle never came.Conan the Barbarian grossed $17.5 million at the box office, a fraction of its 90 million dollar budget, and, as of right now, its aggregate score on Rotten Tomatoes score stands at 24%. That technically makes it worse than The Green Lantern, which must be a terrible burden for a man to carry.

"For the next couple of days, you walk in a daze, and your friends and family offer kind words, but mostly avoid the subject. Since you had planned (ardently believed, despite it all) that success would propel you to new appointments and opportunities, you find yourself at a loss about what to do next. It can all seem very grim."

Hood was the third screenwriter brought in to rewrite the film's script. Despite the end result, he still defends his efforts, claiming lot of the work he did on character and story design never made it to the big screen. He then described his experience working on the film as, "like doing great work on a losing campaign."

Source: Quora [http://www.quora.com/Sean-Hood]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Im no excpert, but didnt they see a problem when they had to re write it 3 times?

Feb 13, 2008
I really liked it until this paragraph

I know that those who have read my Conan shooting script agree that much of the work I did on story and character never made it to screen. I myself know that given the difficulties of rewriting a script in the middle of production, I did work that I can be proud of.
Not cool Sean. Not cool at all.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Same problem with alot of adaptations. People involved who think they can do better than the original creator, think they have the talent to make changes for the better, instead of being as faithful as possible to the thing that had all the appeal that attracted people to it.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Fankly I could not imagine any possible way to write a good script for a conan remake.

Conan in itself was a crappy movie that just made for a good time because it portrayed vicious fights of Schwarzenegger with the english language.

You can't recreate that.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Exterminas said:
Fankly I could not imagine any possible way to write a good script for a conan remake.

Conan in itself was a crappy movie that just made for a good time because it portrayed vicious fights of Schwarzenegger with the english language.

You can't recreate that.
Well you could, but I don't think anyone has the desire to see what age has done to the govenator's body up on the big screen.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Exterminas said:

You can't recreate that.
You don't remake the film Conan, you adapt the printed Conan, which has all the cinematic flare one needs. That was supposedly what they were trying to do, but I don't see it. Too much added, too much overdesigned, too slick.

And no, the first Conan movie was/is considered a good, even great movie, one of the best fantasy films of all time. Superb production design, Nietzschian themes, great villain, memorable dialogue, great pacing, one of the best film scores of all time.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, I like Howard's stories, but they're not great literature. It's a shame this didn't deliver better, but it was passable sword and sandal fantasy at worst.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Exterminas said:

You can't recreate that.
Well...define a good script then. I honestly dont get why people bash the new Conan movie. I loved it.

Is the story original? No. Is it oscar worthy? No. Are the characters pretty one dimensional? Yes. But so fucking what? Its Conan! What is it supposed to be about? Women, swords, and monsters.

I went into the cinema not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had a bunch of fun, and Jasons Conan was very likable and spot on imo. None of the actors were amazing, but they got the job done (the exception being the villains daughter...she was simply not very good). None of the characters had a lot of depth, but when have they ever in Conan?

Its a popcorn movie, its just supposed to entertain, and I was entertained throughout. I might be used to a bit more cheese than your average guy, I watch anime and listen to Manowar. Both pretty heavy on the cheese...but still. Conan hasnt exactly been cheese-free...

Complainers might as well have sat down with Gears of War and expected Planescape Torment.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Sounds like he's trying to do damage control on his career after he made a bad call...

Aren't there movies where the director/writer was so ashamed or didn't like the results that they removed their name from the credits?

Mr. Hood here took a gamble and now regrets it cause it flopped. I'm sure the man didn't want what time he put into the script to go to waste, but I have a hard time mustering sympathy for him when the final product was clearly so bad...I mean the Titanics sinking man. Go get a life jacket...

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
tzimize said:
Exterminas said:

You can't recreate that.
Well...define a good script then. I honestly dont get why people bash the new Conan movie. I loved it.

Is the story original? No. Is it oscar worthy? No. Are the characters pretty one dimensional? Yes. But so fucking what? Its Conan! What is it supposed to be about? Women, swords, and monsters.

I went into the cinema not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had a bunch of fun, and Jasons Conan was very likable and spot on imo. None of the actors were amazing, but they got the job done (the exception being the villains daughter...she was simply not very good). None of the characters had a lot of depth, but when have they ever in Conan?

Its a popcorn movie, its just supposed to entertain, and I was entertained throughout. I might be used to a bit more cheese than your average guy, I watch anime and listen to Manowar. Both pretty heavy on the cheese...but still. Conan hasnt exactly been cheese-free...

Complainers might as well have sat down with Gears of War and expected Planescape Torment.
This comes up every time a popcorn flick gets a panning, and it's rarely true. I doubt many of the "complainers" went in with expectations any higher than yours. Critics have pretty much come to accept brainless action films for what they are, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to create a bad brainless action film.

Most people seeing this probably expected nothing more than to be entertained, and just...weren't.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
Wow, I kinda feel sorry for Hood. In fact, I've never really thought about how a writer deals with the fact that his work is no good. But the film was indeed total shit, and the original was meh so there's that.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Im no excpert, but didnt they see a problem when they had to re write it 3 times?
that can be rather common when you have disputes int he company, and has killed more films then its passed.

OT: Its nice of him to cover his ass. its not my fault, clearly they didnt let me put everything I wanted in. the movie would have been so much better if they had.

other hten that, a large reason the expendables made money is the star name power behind it. Conan is synonymous with Ahnold.

Daroesb

Mar 3, 2010
I just saw it and didnt think it was that bad

It was better than i expected for a film about a muscular barbarian man who spent 90% of his screen time topless and killed people in violent ways

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Machocruz said:
And no, the first Conan movie was/is considered a good, even great movie, one of the best fantasy films of all time. Superb production design, Nietzschian themes, great villain, memorable dialogue, great pacing, one of the best film scores of all time.
That score is the entire reason I ever bothered to learn the name Basil Poledouris. It's beautiful.

tzimize said:
I might be used to a bit more cheese than your average guy, I watch anime and listen to Manowar. Both pretty heavy on the cheese...but still. Conan hasnt exactly been cheese-free...
As a fan of cheese (anime, bad movies) I like your attitude, sir.

Now as for this Hood, I wish him the best of luck. At least one more chance to prove himself one way or the other. It's hard to imagine this won't be a career ending blow, but he does share responsibility with other writers so that may help soften the blow.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I just got back from seeing it...

I honestly don't know why people are in such a fuss over it. Sure it wasn't good, but it was hardly terrible.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Flop-tastic is correct. The script on this was terribru. And the writers (I guess) are completely to blame.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why did they had to make a movie of Conan? Its not like people will form a line to see something related to Conan, people wont watch the movie just because of the name so why did someone thought about doing another Conan movie? Why not something original, a new IP, creating something based on something that was already made and that at the moment isnt exaclty popular just limits the creativity and doesnt sell good.

I would rather watch a movie called Barbarian 3000 then another Conan movie because I already know that nothing new and original will come from Conan