Valve Hopes to Bring Steamworks to Xbox Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Hopes to Bring Steamworks to Xbox Live

Valve honcho Gabe Newell wants to bring Steamworks to the Xbox 360 but says Microsoft needs to relax a little and get comfortable first.

Portal 2 [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/]. But while Sony is down with the idea, Newell said Microsoft needs to relax the restrictions on Xbox Live before it can happen.

"We certainly can deliver a lot of value to customers to the degree to which we have those capabilities. With the PS3 obviously we made a lot more progress with that," Newell told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-25-valves-gabe-newell-interview?page=2]. "The PS3 customers of Portal 2 are going to start to see the benefits of that with Portal 2 DLC coming out in September. So we'd really like to be able to do that for Xbox customers as well."

"The main thing is having Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it. Right now, there's a huge amount of updates and free content we've been able to deliver to people who have The Orange Box [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0PLK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314297236&sr=8-1] that we haven't been able to deliver to the Xbox because of the restrictions that have been placed on us on Xbox Live," he continued. "We'd love to see those relaxed."

One of the things Newell hopes will convince Microsoft to unclench a bit is the success Sony is experiencing with its "more open approach."

"Hopefully that will help Microsoft see that's a good strategy for making customers happy, that the barbarians won't tear down the walls of Xbox and turn it into some chaotic wasteland," he said.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is being developed for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Mac, and is expected to come out sometime in 2012.

Feb 13, 2008
Ok Andy...I'm down with the words but really...

"relax a little and get comfortable first.", "down with the idea", "Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it.", "We'd love to see those relaxed.", "Microsoft to unclench a bit ", "tear down the walls of Xbox"

...Am I the only one seeing this??

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Hasn't Valve said this before but Microsoft are so tight-fisted and closed up with their hardware that it's impossible.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Xbox needs to stop being a little *****.

I had to go out and rebuy team fortress 2 and left 4 dead 2, because they seemingly have some massive, set in stone, constitution that states.
(A friend bought me my copy of l4d2 pc, because the four pack on sale meant the whooole game with dlc cost less than one dlc on xbox, go figure.)

Charge players money and pay it up, and authenticate the fuck out of content over the course of a couple months.

What planet does pleasing your consumer mean they have to wait months and pay money for stuff other people get day one for free.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
How long until Valve puts them both out of business with its own console? Four, five years tops.

Studs MacKenzie

Aug 6, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:

"relax a little and get comfortable first.", "down with the idea", "Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it.", "We'd love to see those relaxed.", "Microsoft to unclench a bit ", "tear down the walls of Xbox"

I personally like: "unclench a bit".

On topic: I hate it when successful people give advice that makes sense and the party the advice was directed at doesn't listen. Hmm... yes. Pride.

I just had the idea of Microsoft handing over the reigns of the Xbox Live infrastructure over to Valve. Boy, was it glorious.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010

Yeah they're really pressuring them,not cool Valve if you really care you'll have to wait.
But seriously Microsoft should really stop with this strictness I can't see it bringing any good to the industry.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
TimeLord said:
Hasn't Valve said this before but Microsoft are so tight-fisted and closed up with their hardware that it's impossible.
Yeah. Nothing new on the western front.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Meh, Microsoft is never gonna change their stupid rules and that's why I've moved to PS3. It's too bad for all of M$s customers.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Great idea but I doubt we'll see any positive changes on the xbox any time soon.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Maybe Microsoft won't do it because Sony did it first...

I am curious about the 'benefits' PS3 is going to get though

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
greenice said:

Yeah they're really pressuring them,not cool Valve if you really care you'll have to wait.
But seriously Microsoft should really stop with this strictness I can't see it bringing any good to the industry.
I think he means more of sexual innuendo than anything.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
CleverNickname said:
on a not entirely related note: there has never been a flattering picture of Gabe Newell, has there?
When you're as awesome as Gabe you don't need flattering pictures :D

caviar1

Sep 23, 2010
agreeing that microsoft has produces diamonds with their sphincter, they also dont get hacked to bits like the psn...course if they weren't so uptight nobody would want to hack them anyway

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
mysecondlife said:
greenice said:

I think he means more of sexual innuendo than anything.
I know,so was I, at least before the "but seriously".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009

No.

I saw it in the summary before I clicked the article, and it only got worse. I just wonder if he picked those words on purpose or this was just a happy accident.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Ok, I love valve and all, but isn't it a little hypocritical that they want to be able to use their proprietary service to deliver goods within another companies proprietary service (steamworks in xbl) but they wont let other companies do the same thing in steam (origin in steam).

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
CleverNickname said:
on a not entirely related note: there has never been a flattering picture of Gabe Newell, has there?
Some people are just not photogenic, no matter what the situation is. Sadly, Gabe seems to be one of them.

mysecondlife said:
I am curious about the 'benefits' PS3 is going to get though
Well, cross platform PS3-PC gaming is the huge one. We've already seen it in Portal 2, and it's coming soon on a massive scale in the form of Dust 514 (which looks EPIC!).

Kind of a strange thing going on right now in the console world. I can choose between an online service with all the stuff I want but can get hacked to bits, or an online service that is secure but doesn't have the stuff that I really want.