Terminator 5 Director Could Resurrect Sarah Connor

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Terminator 5 Director Could Resurrect Sarah Connor

A Terminator movie without the mother of the Resistance is no Terminator movie at all.

Justin Lin, who has directed multiple The Fast & the Furious movies and is attached to the Highlander reboot, says that the Terminator movies just aren't the same without Sarah Connor, and that he might look at bringing her back for Terminator 5.

Lin said that Connor's off screen death between the second and third movie, not to mention how little Terminator 3 mentions it, had surprised him, as she had previously been a massive part of the franchise. But she didn't have to stay dead forever, he said, as time travel meant that there was always an avenue for characters to come back to life.

"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there's a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line," Lin explained.

Of course, the real reason that Sarah Connor didn't get the big send off she deserved was that actress Linda Hamilton didn't want to reprise the role in Terminator 3, and it's not known whether she'd want to in Terminator 5 either. However, according to rumors, Terminator 5 could be a reboot of the series with a new cast, so maybe it could have Connor without Hamilton.

Source: MovieHole [http://www.moviehole.net/201144420-clint-chats-to-justin-lin-about-the-furious-franchise-terminator-and-more]

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I think I speak for us all when I say this...

Dear people involved in Terminator...

Please, please fuck off.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
They should have stopped at T3 as there is nothing else to explain, we know what's going to happen. The saddest thing about is this that I can no longer engorge the Sci-fi dystopian future in which they imagined in T1 and T2.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Getting fed up of all these reboots now, movies and games alike. Is there really no more imagination left in the entertainment business anymore?

Pretty soon all we'll be left with is Jersey Shore the movie, or The Hills movie, or Big Brother EXTREME!!!......the movie

fire-exit-man

Standing on the Edge of Reason
Oct 6, 2010
Really? Just, really? They're going to reboot Terminator now?

Is there anything left in the entertainment world that is actually reboot proof? I'm starting to get confused as to why people only seem interested in rebooting old franchises rather than, say, making brand new ones.

It can't just be a lack of imagination, can it?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there's a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line," Lin explained.
----------
Ok. Please, Lin, whoever the hell you are do not use time travel as an excuse to dick around with it. That said, I'd like to point out to him that nothing happened after Judgement Day. Nothing.

Dec 16, 2009
ah man, this sounds worse than T3
some reboots are good (Star Trek, Xmen) but it's getting too much
i though T4 showed some potential, the Terminator in the past has been well and truly done (and done very well in T1 & T2)

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
First two movies are awesome, 3rd one is just horrible, the TV-series was pretty mediocre and I actually liked the 4th movie even though it was flawed and had a lot of forced one-liners.

But they should really call it quits with it.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Doooooo we really need a Terminator 5? No, no we do not. We didn't need a Terminator 3 or 4 either.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
If they're going to make it, I'm going to watch it... If they're going to make it without Linda Hamilton they should make it with Lena Headey who played Sarah Connor in Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles. When I first saw her I thought "this will not work without Hamilton" but it did work (for me), and it will work for T5 (for me).

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
Justin Lin. said:
"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel."
NO. FUCK YOU. This is NOT how time travel works and this is a STUPID excuse for a retcon. Terminator 4 was acceptable but T1 and T2 were far better... But they could still probably fit another in even without retardedly abusing time travel to reboot/retcon.

People need to keep the same gog damn pair of boots on SOMETHING. IS NO FOOTWEAR SACRED?

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Fiend Dragon said:
Justin Lin. said:
"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel."
NO. FUCK YOU. This is NOT how time travel works and this is a STUPID excuse for a retcon. Terminator 4 was acceptable but T1 and T2 were far better... But they could still probably fit another in even without retardedly abusing time travel to reboot/retcon.

People need to keep the same gog damn pair of boots on SOMETHING. IS NO FOOTWEAR SACRED?
Yeah I agree. The original idea with the time travel was that the Skynet apocalypse was not set in stone to happen. It was merely a ripple from a possible future that elbowed it's way in to the past and that it was suppose to be erased with T2.

I actually liked T4 because it served more like a prequel to T1 rather then tangling things up more with time travelling.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
fire-exit-man said:
Really? Just, really? They're going to reboot Terminator now?

Is there anything left in the entertainment world that is actually reboot proof? I'm starting to get confused as to why people only seem interested in rebooting old franchises rather than, say, making brand new ones.

It can't just be a lack of imagination, can it?
If I had to make an educated guess, it's because like everyone else Hollywood are terrified of the ongoing financial turmoil, and rather than taking on a project which involves ANY kind of risk, and by risk I mean anything that is synonymous with creativity, they've elected to just reboot old movies that were already proven successes.

This is what happens when you let art be controlled by people who care only for investments.