Sony Hopes to Conquer the UK With Cheaper PS3s

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Hopes to Conquer the UK With Cheaper PS3s

Getting below £200 was a "defining moment" for the last two PlayStations, says Sony.

New Sony Europe Boss, Jim Ryan, wants to see the PS3 take the lead in the UK, and thinks that the recent price cut will be just the thing to help the console do it. Ryan says that while the PS3 rules the roost in most PAL countries, in the UK that simply isn't the case.

"The UK is one of the territories where we have to do better," Ryan said. He thought that getting the PS3 to below £200 - a level the Xbox 360 has been at for quite some time - was going to make a big difference. "History has shown us that once you get to £199 you hit lift off," he said. "We can do some serious business and this kick-starts that. Getting to £199 was a defining moment for the PSone and PS2 - this will be no different."

Ryan didn't blame the PS3's relatively poor performance on economic conditions, saying that other countries - specifically countries where the PS3 was "winning" - had similar economic problems. He noted, however, that the UK was more like the US - where the Xbox 360 is the dominant console - than Continental Europe in terms of its tastes.

Of course, there's no single reason that the Xbox 360 outsells the PS3 in the UK. Price, release dates, availability, and more besides, will all have played a part; and with the Xbox 360 still available for less than the PS3 in many places, It will be interesting to see whether this new price point really does give the PS3 the boost Sony hopes it will.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-we-have-to-do-better-in-uk/083709]

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Well, it's nice to know that Sony have finally decided to stop screwing us over with the price, but £199 is still a hell of a lot of money. I already have one console, so I really can't justify spending nearly £200 on another.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay...so why the hell didn't you do it earlier Sony!? Seriously, I don't understand. First they launch at a ridiculously high price, act surprised that it didn't go well, and then they just keep with the tiny price cuts that still had them as the most expensive console by a long shot, and now they say with slight desperation that dropping it to a price anywhere near the other consoles is gonna cause ps3 sales to skyrocket!?

What the hell have Sony been on this generation, man? Sure, nintendo's been high off of the tears of their hardcore fanbase while they made big money grabbing the casual Market, which was traitorous and cruel but at least made business sense, Microsoft has been, well, Microsoft, greedy and occasionally stupid, but not exactly the devil, whilst Sony have just been munching mushrooms saying "duurrh, why won't they work extra hours to buy our console?"

No offense meant to Sony fans (or anyone else I may have offended), but you gotta admit, Sony have gone completely gorram nuts!

Captcha: But peniesp We're not talking about the handheld Market right now!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Huh. Below £200? Damn. I would feel silly with my day-after-release PS3, but then I play some PS2 games and feel better.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I think the price drop will make a massive difference, especially when you compare the capabilities of the two consoles. At the same price you'll choose the one that can do more and has more.

Besides its becoming ever clearer that all alleged Xbox exclusives end up going to PS3 or can be played on a PC. Where as PS3 exclusives stay where they are.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Hmm this certainly makes buying a PS3 appealing, but I'm still unsure it's worth it. I'm more than happy with the 360 and the few PS3 exclusives I want can't really justify buying one.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I have wanted to buy a PS3 for a while now, but the price has always been an issue. And Guess what. It still is. I can get an Xbox 360 for £120, and play pretty much all the games I wanted to play that arent available on wii/pc on that system. £80 is a lot of food/drink/games/fun. I dont need online, so xbox live membership doesnt matter too me either.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
Besides its becoming ever clearer that all alleged Xbox exclusives end up going to PS3 or can be played on a PC. Where as PS3 exclusives stay where they are.
And this is why I occasionally consider buying a PS3, but not an xbox. I have a PC. It plays all the xbox games I care about and then some. However there have been quite a few PS3 exclusive releases I want.

I can see it working. Its amazing what a psycholocial difference it makes having something priced at 199 rather than 201. I like to think I'm immune to the effect myself, but its hard to objectively test.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Eh. Last time I bought a PS3 and then instantly sold it due to cash flow problems, but now that it's cheaper and I've got money to spare... it's tempting, but I'm still not sure. I do want me some Uncharted though.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's funny to think that all the other PSs have been worth more than £200 once. If you disregard price, I can't understand how someone could rationalize choosing a 360 over PS3, so hopefully this will improve sales.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I think the major factor is the UK-ers as we speak English and with the internet we are exposed to a lot more Americans where there is a high concentration of X-bros bigging up that platform.

Also - for shame - there is VERY LITTLE presence of British publications on the internet, it's all gametrailers, escapist, IGN, gamespot, etc, etc.

UK's EDGE Magazine is of course hugely important but it is limited in its impact by it being a monthly paper-only publication that is quite expensive. And anyway, they do have a reputation for giving PS3 a hard time.

Though I wonder how much this is down to how Microsoft simply has better marketing in English speaking countries like US, UK and ANZAC.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
GeorgW said:
It's funny to think that all the other PSs have been worth more than £200 once. If you disregard price, I can't understand how someone could rationalize choosing a 360 over PS3, so hopefully this will improve sales.
Interesting logic since I bought my PS3 4 years before my 360 :p

OT: I like that at one time the PS2 cost over £200 and now it can be bought for a fiver and used as a doorstop.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Good move I think. It will open up the PS3 to a lot more people in the UK.

I do not own a PS3 myself, I just use my brothers. So this may be relevant to my interests.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
TimeLord said:
GeorgW said:

OT: I like that at one time the PS2 cost over £200 and now it can be bought for a fiver and used as a doorstop.
I said I couldn't understand it, not that I have anything against it, so please explain to me your rationalisation.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
GeorgW said:
TimeLord said:
GeorgW said:

I said I couldn't understand it, not that I have anything against it, so please explain to me your rationalisation.
I actually mis-read your post. I thought you said you couldn't see the rational in not getting a 360 over a PS3.

So yea, I completely mis-read you post. I'll slap myself and read everything properly next time.