The Week in Review: Snooping, Suing, and Mechanical Space Gods

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review: Snooping, Suing, and Mechanical Space Gods

In this week's edition, GameStop tries to make amends to PC gamers, and a man in Arkansas sues Microsoft for $500 billion.

Man Sues Microsoft for $500 Billion

David Stebbins of Arkansas, USA, is claiming that Microsoft owes him half a trillion dollars, thanks to some legal tomfoolery. Stebbins says that Microsoft did not respond to a offer to arbitrate a legal despite for the sum, an offer which contained a "forfeit victory clause," meaning that if Microsoft didn't respond - which it didn't - then he won by default. Stebbings claims he is just doing what big companies do all the time. (Link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112511-Xbox-Owner-Sues-Microsoft-for-500-Billion-Yes-Billion])

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
King Toasty said:
Wait, the guy can win $500 billion by forfeit?

I NOW SUE EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING.
i don't know why reporters are even allowed, all they ever do is misrepresent the facts
anyone with a modicum of sense can see that guy never wanted anything but to say
'hey screw you too Microsoft'
and ( ineptly ) try to f with the system
it was a ploy to plug a legal loophole that he found insulting, he figured if he lost, the loophole would have a precedent of being ruled against, and he knew he would loose because microsoft do not have 500Bn, the same way the average person cannot pay £3m in damages to a company on a warpath
( therefore it is COMPLETELY illogical that he was trying to get money.. )
because, Fu i want 60 trillion. that's why.

he thought he would either get his way, or cause microsoft a lot of trouble
unfortunately, he is not all that clever and does not understand law, and how you cant just break the system like they do in the movies, and expect to get away with it..

at the end of the day he even stated the whole affair would be a waste of his printer paper..
i mean, c'mon.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
The Lugz said:
King Toasty said:
Wait, the guy can win $500 billion by forfeit?

I NOW SUE EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING.
i don't know why reporters are even allowed, all they ever do is misrepresent the facts
anyone with a modicum of sense can see that guy never wanted anything but to say
'hey screw you too Microsoft'
and ( ineptly ) try to f with the system
it was a ploy to plug a legal loophole that he found insulting, he figured if he lost, the loophole would have a precedent of being ruled against, and he knew he would loose because microsoft do not have 500Bn, the same way the average person cannot pay £3m in damages to a company on a warpath
( therefore it is COMPLETELY illogical that he was trying to get money.. )
because, Fu i want 60 trillion. that's why.

he thought he would either get his way, or cause microsoft a lot of trouble
unfortunately, he is not all that clever and does not understand law, and how you cant just break the system like they do in the movies, and expect to get away with it..

at the end of the day he even stated the whole affair would be a waste of his printer paper..
i mean, c'mon.
I know it was an idiotic loophole, but I see the point he's trying to make- corporations shouldn't have more rights that people. Agree or disagree with it, it's a message.

But yeah, it's hilarious seeing it misinterpreted.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
it's definitely a 'lulwut' moment, like the whole notch games tourney over copyrights, but these things get so over blown it's silly >.>

i'd still love to see Microsoft credit his xbl account with 40trillion xbox points then delete the account that would be the perfect resolution to the situation imo

unfortunately that would possibly cause them legal trouble under the acceptance of fault
so, best for Microsoft to do nothing at all really.. :(

one thing i'm genuinely worried about is the origin program, and how-many things they can legally get away with doing with it

they can in essence replace every bit of spyware on the planet and then sell the information for profit if they want because it's worded that way
i think the internet should not even give them any ideas about what they could do with this program, and just ignore it until they reword their eula.
i don't think they will do anything horrific... but they could, quite legally and that sets precedent for someone to abuse a similar system