Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Stays True to the Source

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Stays True to the Source

Valve's core idea for the newest installment of Counter-Strike is a simple one: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The first new addition to the much-loved Counter-Strike franchise in almost 8 years drew throngs of fans at this year's Penny Arcade Expo. The line to be one of the first people to demo the new game stretched through the crowds of nerds, peaking at nearly a two-hour wait time.

For those of you Counter-Strike fans who might be worried about a maiming of your beloved franchise, calm yourselves; while there has been a major graphical overhaul and a couple of tweaks, this is still the Counter-Strike you know and love. All the major elements that have stuck with the franchise from the beginning are still there, as well as a few additional elements aimed at making the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Foremost among those additions are a skill-based matchmaking system and separate servers for competitive and casual players, which are meant to pit players of the same skill-level together. For the competitive players, games will feature longer "freeze time" (immobile time before the game begins) for strategizing and planning and shorter, quicker-paced games than the casual servers.

Valve's understanding that not everyone is out to be a pro and that some people just want to play a game or two with their buddies is the driving force behind the new casual mode, which will give players more money, longer and more relaxed games, and the ability to chat with the opposing team. The mode will also prioritize matching you in games with your friends over games with matching skill levels.

Some other changes to the game include 8 new weapons including the first area-denial weapon, the Molotov Cocktail, tweaks to under-powered weapons from Source that saw little play, new game modes (Valve is remaining tight-lipped on the details), and the addition of cross-platform play. Players on the 360, PS3, Mac, and PC will all be able to get matched with each other.

The game is planned for launch sometime early next year, but for those of you eager beavers who just can't wait that long to try it out, the game is expected to enter beta sometime in October.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I'm anxious to try this out, I've never played the original or source but it always seemed like a cool game. Especially from Valve.

Plus it's on the PS3, but hopefully my Mac can play it.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
Players on the 360, PS3, Mac, and PC will all be able to get matched with each other.
This, of all games. This won't end well for the two controller users.

Do you know if we can still just server browse and hop in? I like playing against people that outclass me to get better faster.

Jake|Ranger

Mar 10, 2011
I wonder what "under-powered" weapons are going to made better. And is they have weakened any other weapons that they thought were too strong. Can't wait to play it. I just hope the molotov isn't too over powered.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
There better be a 'No bloody 11 year olds from Xbox Live' option. I would kill for that option. From the trailer, it looked more weighty than the usual CS to me. I liked how floaty CS is.
Also, CounterStrike is a pretty old-school game compared to what online games are popular these days. I doubt any Xbox and PS3 users will play it for more than a day before complaining about iron-sights and kill ranks and then quitting saying it's 'such a gay noob game'.

*EDIT*
Also, I hope they haven't powered up the Scout. The Scout is great for what it does, and that's be wildly incompetent and therefore 'A skill weapon'. I also hope it still has an INGAME server browser *cough*Battlefield3*cough*.
I'm gonna have fun mowing down hundreds of console gamers. In Counter Strike, where you pretty much HAVE to stick your mouse sensitivity super high if you're ever gonna kill someone, using a controller is gonna fuck you up.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Jake|Ranger said:
I wonder what "under-powered" weapons are going to made better. And is they have weakened any other weapons that they thought were too strong. Can't wait to play it. I just hope the molotov isn't too over powered.
The big machine gun, the FAMAS maybe, they might lower the price of some of the subs because they were never a viable choice compared to a select few. A lot of the pistols also got ignored by the USP, the D.Eagle and Dual M9's.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hoi, saw what you did their with the article title. Very good.

OT : I like the idea of pro and casual servers, wasn't that something introduced in Halo : Reach? I liked how it was done there, and I hope it works in this.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ultimateownage said:
There better be a 'No bloody 11 year olds from Xbox Live' option. I would kill for that option. From the trailer, it looked more weighty than the usual CS to me. I liked how floaty CS is.
Also, CounterStrike is a pretty old-school game compared to what online games are popular these days. I doubt any Xbox and PS3 users will play it for more than a day before complaining about iron-sights and kill ranks and then quitting saying it's 'such a gay noob game'.
Hey not all 360 users are 11 year olds who won't play anything that isn't cod!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Baneat said:
Scott Bullock said:
Players on the 360, PS3, Mac, and PC will all be able to get matched with each other.

Do you know if we can still just server browse and hop in? I like playing against people that outclass me to get better faster.
Yes but it will be nice to finally be able to end the argument of which platform is best for shooters with a live example.

imnotparanoid said:
ultimateownage said:
We won't have to worry about them anyway, they won't be playing anything that isn't CoD.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I'm liking the casual mode idea. I just bought Counterstrike Source the other day and in my total of 50 minutes of play time I have killed 3 people.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Ickorus said:
Baneat said:
Scott Bullock said:

Yes but it will be nice to finally be able to end the argument of which platform is best for shooters with a live example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_%282007_video_game%29

Which can be played at a higher level without auto-aim was never up for debate.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
ultimateownage said:
I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying that the vast majority who will play it on the Xbox are going to be. Sure PC will have some too but they won't say it's shit because they can't turn around fast enough.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ultimateownage said:
imnotparanoid said:
ultimateownage said:
I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying that the vast majority who will play it on the Xbox are going to be. Sure PC will have some too but they won't say it's shit because they can't turn around fast enough.
Fair enough.
Also I kind of agree :/

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
So this is just a tweaked version of CSS but using the same engine?
Wow, and Call of Duty gets a load of stick, at least they come out yearly.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
This is the fifth fucking time they remake the same game, I'm not surprised they wont make major changes.
I like you
But boy are you gonna get it xD

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
SammiYin said:
So this is just a tweaked version of CSS but using the same engine?
Wow, and Call of Duty gets a load of stick, at least they come out yearly.
You are under the impression yearly releases are a good thing?
Splitting the fanbase every year helps with what exactly?

But mainly CS games are dirt cheap, and you can get thousands of maps for free while CoD would require you to sell the house and atleast one kidney for that kind of content.