Modern Warfare 3 Signs up for Steamworks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Activision is sticking with what works, and once again using Steam for Call of Duty on the PC.

If you're planning on playing Modern Warfare 3 on the PC, you're going to be doing so using Valve's Steamworks framework. Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00503E8S2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WG4H6AZ3W8EAAF36Z3M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] will be the latest in an ever-growing list of Call of Duty titles to use the Steamworks system.

Activision has previously used Steamworks for Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. Modern Warfare 3 will use Steamworks for both the digital versions of the game, and the physical versions. PC owners who don't mind downloading their games can pre-purchase Modern Warfare 3 on Steam now, and have it ready to play the second it's released later this year.

Steamworks is a suite of tools created by Valve that give publishers and developers access to the various elements of the Steam platform. Through Steamworks, publishers can implement achievements, use Steam's ready-made voice chat and anti-cheating systems, and gain access to Steam's various backend systems that make authenticating and protecting content relatively easy. Steamworks also has the advantage of being free, which is undoubtedly a point in its favor.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well it's not as bad as Origin.

Then again, that's still a pretty low hurdle for Activision to clear to justify a £40 PC game.

I'm waiting for the big multiplayer blow-out and unless it's something special I'll hold off till steam summer sales where this game will be at a more reasonable price, I'm thinking around £25

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Activision is sticking with what works, and ONCE again using Steam for Call of Duty on the PC.
There ya go

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Reveras said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Activision is sticking with what works, and ONCE again using Steam for Call of Duty on the PC.
There ya go
The irony of this escaped me 'till now, so thank you for making me laugh. :p

OT: Good on them for not being... well, EA, but I'm still not going to buy this. Kind of sick of CoD by now, to be honest. I still think CoD 2 was the best...

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Nick Holmgren said:
Knife-28 said:
Well, all the more reason to get it on the console.
Umm, wut? Steamworks is rather sweet and does handy cloud stuffs with your configuration info.
Yea, well, I've sort of been against the idea of retail games forcing you to download programs to make the game work ever since Steam royally screwed up my installation of The Orange Box leaving me unable to play Half Life 2: Episode 2.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Knife-28 said:
Nick Holmgren said:
Knife-28 said:
Umm, wut? Steamworks is rather sweet and does handy cloud stuffs with your configuration info.
Yea, well, I've sort of been against the idea of retail games forcing you to download programs to make the game work ever since Steam royally screwed up my installation of The Orange Box leaving me unable to play Half Life 2: Episode 2.
I had a problem with Steam once. I bought Counter Strike: Source in store and it tried to get me to pay for it again.

I returned it and bought Battlefield 2142 instead. And since that day I have preferred Steam over anything EA has offered me.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Bobbity said:
I still think CoD 2 was the best...
Modern Warfare 1 was the only one I ever bought, and since I bought it really late and not on Steam, the servers were mostly ghost towns by the time I got there. Biggest mistaken purchase I ever made, IMHO. Still, the campaign was pretty good (the first time, on Normal) and it'll make a decent trade-in for something else.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Pohaturon said:
this is why modern warfare 3 will ultimately win over battlefield 3
This is one of the reasons. The main one being that the CoD fanbase is massive which gives it a huge head start over Battlefield 3 right out of the gate. This news helps give it an edge among the PC crowd as Steam is loved and Origin (whether deserved or not) is hated. I don't see Battlefield 3 standing a chance head-to-head, personally.
I don't see why it is even a competition, really. But EA insists.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
Pohaturon said:
this is why modern warfare 3 will ultimately win over battlefield 3
Thought that is for PC only. And it's hard to say at this point which game sells more on PC unless somebody have made some poll about it in neutral forums.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Knife-28 said:
Nick Holmgren said:
Knife-28 said:
For every user who loves Steam like it's raised them, there's one who hates it with a burning passion.

The necessity of these kind of programs is of course a massive *****. That's a fact. But what's also a fact is that, for what it is, Steam is actually giving the customer something in return. It's like, "yeah, you have to install Steam. So it'll go ahead and sort out your library of games, keep your save games in its Cloud, offer up substantial free DLC for first-party titles, and give you insanely massive savings on download deals."

The alternatives do the same job, sure, but with militant authority. "Install me to play game. ...hold on, just gonna scan your whole PC so we can send it to our boss. Hold still and don't scream. Oh, stop squirming."

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
For every user who loves Steam like it's raised them, there's one who hates it with a burning passion.

The necessity of these kind of programs is of course a massive *****. That's a fact. But what's also a fact is that, for what it is, Steam is actually giving the customer something in return. It's like, "yeah, you have to install Steam. So it'll go ahead and sort out your library of games, keep your save games in its Cloud, offer up substantial free DLC for first-party titles, and give you insanely massive savings on download deals."

The alternatives do the same job, sure, but with militant authority. "Install me to play game. ...hold on, just gonna scan your whole PC so we can send it to our boss. Hold still and don't scream. Oh, stop squirming."
Lets not forget the optional extra Impulse dropped on me. Namely, eating 2GB of RAM while I was trying to play a game. That ended well. 20 minutes of swap file pounding later when I finally got into task manager.

A few people have said this, every DRM is a cage. But at least steam is a NICE cage. Its not as if we have the choice of no DRM any more.

I'm lucky enough to have never had a problem with steam, I'm sure people will argue. I'm sure people have never had a problem with impulse (maybe) or any of the others.

Here's my problem:
What if I want to play steam games AND impulse games AND origin games etc etc?
So, either I have to have several clients running in the background each with different friends lists etc or I need to stop and start the clients and switch between. I don't like either solution.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
You mean Activision won't be releasing the newest addition to their most profitable franchise on their biggest rival's new digital distribution platform?!?

[HEADING=1]What an interesting and unforeseen turn of events![/HEADING]

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Phishfood said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

Lets not forget the optional extra Impulse dropped on me. Namely, eating 2GB of RAM while I was trying to play a game. That ended well. 20 minutes of swap file pounding later when I finally got into task manager.

A few people have said this, every DRM is a cage. But at least steam is a NICE cage. Its not as if we have the choice of no DRM any more.

I'm lucky enough to have never had a problem with steam, I'm sure people will argue. I'm sure people have never had a problem with impulse (maybe) or any of the others.

Here's my problem:
What if I want to play steam games AND impulse games AND origin games etc etc?
So, either I have to have several clients running in the background each with different friends lists etc or I need to stop and start the clients and switch between. I don't like either solution.
steam is currently eating up at most 200 mbs of ram on my pc. i recon in game layout occupies prolly another 200 AT MOST with exageration. :/

dunno whats wrong with impulse, that it needs 2 fucking gigas to run.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So now the choice is buy BF3 even on CD and get forced to use Origin. Or buy MW3 and get forced to use Steam (yes I know they did it with previous version, so it's not a surprise). PC gaming is sooo great at the moment... Groan.

fKd

Jun 3, 2010
i like steam and have never had issues with it. as for origin, no thanks. you lose ea, and you also lose dice... what happened, you used to be cool.....

no mod tools, origin and a bunch of other retarded ideas. its like you dont want ppl to buy your games or something. very odd behavior..