Far Cry 2 DRM Confirmed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Far Cry 2 DRM Confirmed

It's not an Far Cry 2 [http://www.ea.com] is going to employ some very EA-like anti-piracy measures.

A SecuROM [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3981062496?r=2931023496#2931023496] in a system almost identical to recent EA releases, limiting users to five activations each on three separate PCs. Unlike previous games incorporating SecuROM, however, uninstalling Far Cry 2 will automatically revoke an activation, meaning that as long as owners properly uninstall the game when they're finished with it, they'll be able to install it an unlimited number of times on three systems.

The message also says the revoke system will allow gamers to upgrade their systems as many times as they want, presumably by uninstalling the game before performing an upgrade, and also promises that "additional activations can be provided" if necessary. "Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games," the forum manager wrote. "You'll always be able to play Far Cry 2."

Predictably, discussion about the use of SecuROM is running Spore experience [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3981062496/p/1] has proven that it does virtually nothing to stop piracy and the Far Cry franchise isn't nearly enough of a mainstream heavyweight that it can shrug off a concentrated negative reaction among core gamers.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Well who would guest that a company witch primary focus is consoles won't care that much for pc. I really like this game how it is made and I would buy it, but this drm prevent me for buying it. And if anyone is wondering I had in the past a lot of problem with drm (like this I couldn't run the game, and at the end I had to download a pirated version that I could even played it). Well in the end only 2-3 games that I will actually buy now (left4dead, fallout3 and maybe gta 4 if it won't have drm). I don't understand why ubisoft is using drm, when the only thing they will get out of this is angry users (and it will still be pirated to hell and back).

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
The automatic revokes are a big improvement, but some things do not warrant improvement. Besides, a single player game should never require the internet to play, or even activate, for obvious reasons.

BaronAsh

Feb 6, 2008
How would an automatic revoke system work...

I mean how does the disc know you've installed and uninstalled it this many times?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
Rooster Cogburn post=7.74096.822067 said:
The automatic revokes are a big improvement, but some things do not warrant improvement. Besides, a single player game should never require the internet to play, or even activate, for obvious reasons.
because that i regret to have bought the orange box

Feb 13, 2008
And I know that they only did in Disney movies because someone drove a truck at them, but replace that truck with the DRM bandwagon and you've got a good analogy back.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the REAL reason for DRM isn't to crack down on pirates, it's to crack down on used game stores, since (personally) I never buy a PC game new because I know it'll be in a used game store for 10 - 25% less in a few weeks.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74096.822109 said:
And I know that they only did in Disney movies because someone drove a truck at them, but replace that truck with the DRM bandwagon and you've got a good analogy back.
An opinion is not wrong because many hold it.

Feb 13, 2008
Rooster Cogburn post=7.74096.822177 said:
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74096.822109 said:
An opinion is not wrong because many hold it.
True, but given this response... [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Spore-Mac-DVD/dp/B000FN7K2S]you'd have at least thought they might pause at the edge and said "Let's think on this."

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Screw the revokes and install limit- can I get if OFF my computer? The problem with DRM is it's essentially spyware that installs on your comp and watches what you do.

Anyway- Fail.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
It seems to be a fairer deal compared to what Spore had going on.
However it has to be said (Well... probably not, but I'm going to say it anyway) that I'm glad I don't have to deal with it on my 360.
*dances the "I don't have to worry about all this silly anti-piracy stuff" dance*

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
PedroSteckecilo post=7.74096.822112 said:
I'm pretty sure that the REAL reason for DRM isn't to crack down on pirates, it's to crack down on used game stores, since (personally) I never buy a PC game new because I know it'll be in a used game store for 10 - 25% less in a few weeks.
That's a large part of it. I'm sure eventually it will be like that with consoles, literally destroying the renting industry.

MrCrun

Dec 17, 2004
Actually I can live with this. I buy all my games and protecting DVD's and being able to play the games far into the future are basically my only requirements from DRM. A lot of the people shouting about internet access will have bought HL2 and Portal so their opinion is immediatly invalid. Not to mention cracks will still be made. Do you want to go back to the days when you had to use your discs and if it got scratched that was tough? I've had to buy replacement discs in the past and I look after my games.

Edit: Also no one who turned on Itunes new "Genius" gizmo has a right to complain either.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris post=7.74096.822236 said:
I'd love to know what you base that statement on.
Mm, it seems I was a bit misinformed- it doesn't record, register, or report your activities: However I suspect that would be a simple next step, especially since you can't uninstall it by common methods,

http://www.the-prism.com/index.php?topic=119.0

This guide is free to redistribute in original or edited form without permission from the author, as long as the author of the original text, Bubbleking2, is credited at the beginning, or end of the document.

Some of the links included will be updated from time to time.

Basic Information About SecuROM:

SecuROM is a program, designed by a company owned by Sony, which was created in an effort to stop the piracy of certain programs. The program itself was created with good intentions; the problem is in the way in which SecuROM goes about getting things done. SecuROM has sparked much controversy do to the way in which it goes about preventing piracy. The methods used by SecuROM are similar to the actions of malware and have been known to have negative effects on a large number of users. Basically that is SecuROM in a nutshell.

The Pros and Cons of SecuROM:

The pros and cons listed below apply to nearly all of the versions of SecuROM, specifically the newest 7.x Versions. Also, each version of SecuROM has contained at least one of the mentioned problems. Now, as for the version of SecuROM which Spore will be receiving, it is thought to be version 7.x. Version 7.x is the version included in Mass Effect Bioshock and the Sims 2 (when updated). This version still includes many (if not all) of the problems listed below.

From what I read on the Internet, mostly on GameFAQs, but also on various other forums and through the websites listed under ?Links?, here is a list of the pros and cons of SecuROM. Take this with skepticism as I cannot prove any of it as fact. I have, however, provided links to users who claim to have had these issues in the past which I have given the label ?Proof?, although, I myself, cannot back up any of the claims made.

Cons:
Problems that SecuROM causes include but are not limited to the ones listed here.

1. SecuROM does not allow administrators full access to their PC. Not only this, but it blocks the administrator from editing certain parts of registry as well.
So, you buy a computer, an operating system and other software with your own money, but are then denied access to certain functions of it. SecuROM does this by taking access at Ring 0, thus meaning it is more privileged than the administrator which could allow it to change the rights of the administrator of the computer. Now, as a program it is not designed to change your rights, but it could, in theory, be abused by malicious users. Now, while all this is true for most versions of SecuROM, newer versions run in Ring 3, but don?t sigh in relief just yet. While SecuROM is running in Ring 3, it has still decided to take ring 0 accesses. SecuROM does this by circumventing Windows Security protocols effectively compromising your security.
Proof: Link

2. SecuROM can interfere with the operation of hardware, specifically disc drives.
This really upsets me, paying money for hardware and then finding out that that hardware does not even work as advertised do to this crap software. What really gets to me is that uneducated users will not know what is affecting their hardware and will end up wasting money on tech support, and possibly even new hardware to replace perfectly fine hardware that appears to be functioning incorrectly due to this virus-like program that they do not know about.

3. SecuROM can interfere with the proper operation of software.
This upsets me almost as bad as how it affects hardware, if you pay for software, it should function correctly. SecuROM makes a lot of software function in ways it is not supposed to, and in some cases, cease to function at all. The programs which SecuROM is known to affect are, disc burning software (including, but not limited to, Nero Burning ROM, Alcohol 120% and Alcohol 60%), Virus and Privacy software where it forces itself past firewalls meaning it can allow for security breaches (including, but not limited to, Norton, Spysweeper, and Zone Alarm), virtually all virtual drive software and many programs created by Sysinternals.

4. The manner in which SecuROM runs can interfere with security and could possibly be abused in a manner that would allow others to gain access to private data.
Even though SecuROM is by no means a camera that sends private personal data to EA it could be abused to allow others to install something like that that could instead send data to malicious users.

5. The uninstallation of the software with which SecuROM came does not (or at least up till now, has not, and probably won?t,) allowed for a separate installation of SecuROM. (Or, at least, you cannot uninstall it without third party support.)
So, even though you get rid of the game, you still have this software on your computer. Forms of removal that do not work include, but are not limited to, removal by add or remove programs, and system restore. What is the purpose of this? What good can the software do if the software it is apparently protecting is not even there?

6. SecuROM uncontrollably runs in the background of your PC.
This means that, while SecuROM is stoppable, it is just not stopped as easily as other (legitimate) programs.

7. The manner in which SecuROM runs on your computer is similar to that of malicious software called malware, and, in fact, is so similar, that is considered by many to be malware.
Basically, SecuROM acts like malware, this could, possibly, trick some anti-virus programs into thinking it is malware and causing unneeded interruptions in their usual operation.
Proof: Link (Read: SecuROM v 7.x)

8. Upon the installation of SecuROM the user is granted very little information on the fact that the software is being installed at all.
For some reason, it would seem that they want to install the software without your permission...
Proof: Read the standard setup instructions for any (newer) EA game, the game box, and the instructions and tell me where you see any mention of SecuROM.
(Sorry, none were listed on the web)

9. SecuROM only allows for a maximum of three installations to take place on different machines, or on a single machine that has had some hardware replaced, before you must call EA to reactivate your copy of the software.
It's not much of a problem, but still, I wouldn?t be too happy if I had to take time out of my day to call EA and ask them to for a reactivation just so I can play a game. Oh, yeah, and that number you have to call, it?s not free.

10. SecuROM has, in the past, even caused the games that it was supposed to protect, to malfunction.
So, your other software and hardware wasn?t enough, SecuROM needed to mess up more of your stuff, so it turns to the actual program which it is supposed to be protecting and causing errors that don?t even allow it to run. So since the functionality of the game has been completely destroyed all that?s left is SecuROM which is still messing up your other software, it seems as though you purchased malware.

11. SecuROM has been known to cause complete system failures.
This, in the worst case scenario, causes the user to have to reformat the hard drive which means you have to completely reinstall everything. Oh, and forget about backing up your data onto discs, SecuROM already destroyed your disc drives and burning software. If I make another thread like this later I will include that in the cons.
Proof: Link Read: The Sims controversy

12. SecuROM violates the Bioshock EULA.
The contract that you, as a user have agreed to in order to play the game is violated by SecuROM. Your rights are violated due to the fact that SecuROM is not allowing you to play the game even though you were guaranteed to be able to install the product. As a user, you are guaranteed the right to uninstall and reinstall the game as many times as you see fit as long as it is on your own machines.

Pros:

1. SecuROM makes pirating games slightly harder.
It does not make it impossible to pirate, it just makes it a little harder. Games will (most likely) still be cracked and pirated within days of the release. Actually, in all possibility, games could possibly be just as hard to pirate as they were before (and in some cases, maybe even easier). In these cases SecuROM is completely useless, except, as a way to cause problems to the user.

Links:

For more information on the good and the bad of SecuROM please visit:
1. The 'PRISM' boards: Link
2. The SecuROM Wikipedia Article: Link
3. SecuROM's home site: Link
4. The Sims 2 Expansion: Bon Voyage's SecuROM fourm: Link
5. The 'SECUROM MUST BE DESTROYED' boards: Link

Sony?s previous copyright protection lawsuit: Link

SecuROM Uninstallation : Link
More uninstall methods are available, easily, through a simple search using: Link

Other versions of the guide hosted on different websites:
GameFAQs version: Link
Reclaim Your Game version: Link
SECUROM MUST BE DESTROYED! Version: Link

In Closing :

As of now, not much major action is being taken against SecuROM. As much as you can do to not put yourself at risk is not buying the software with which SecuROM comes. Sadly, this includes a large amount of games. I do not, however, recommend you to pirate the game as this is illegal and can get you into major trouble. I predict that a SecuROM lawsuit will eventually take place similar to the lawsuit over the other copyright protection program, ?XCP?, also created by Sony. Also, if you have the patience, it has been said that EA will be removing SecuROM from their products as they age. This, however, can take years and it is not know as to whether the games will be outdated by then anyways.

While you wait, there are many things that you, yourself, can do to help against. Remember, you are not powerless help educate people about the evils of SecuROM. You can make a difference.
If you wish to help, and to do something against SecuROM, please visit this page: Link

Besides that, I would like to leave you with this quote from the Mass Effect Community forums, "When playing your legally purchased game is more troublesome than playing a pirated copy, somebody somewhere should realize the system is fraked."

Have any questions about this post? Wish to provide feedback? Need any additional help? Or do you have a recommendation on something for me to add? Post here, I am always interested in what you have to say.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I HATE SecuROM sitting in my computer and dicking around while I'm not looking...but this is more lenient I suppose.

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I ALREADY PAID OFF MY PRE-ORDER AND SINCE I WANTED THE GAMESTOP DEAL I CAN ONLY RETURN IT FOR INSTORE CREDIT! GOD DAMNIT UBISOFT! THOSE WHO CRACK THE DRM WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS STUFF ANYWAY SO WHAT'S THE POINT?!

I guess it's too late for me -_- I'd only put this on 3 computers anyway. My computer, my laptop...and something else.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eldritch Warlord post=7.74096.822444 said:
Hooray for console versions.
Enjoy it while you can, DRM is going to work it's way to consoles soon. Not to fight piracy, but to fight used games!