All Your Base Are Belong to MSNBC's Top Game Quotes

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
All Your Base Are Belong to MSNBC's Top Game Quotes

MSNBC has compiled its top five favorite humorous game quotes, a list sorely lacking in Zero Wing references.

Games were different decades ago. There was once a time when huge publishers didn't plan for porting their games for different countries and slacked on translators. They also had a sense of humor about the medium, trying not to take games too seriously.

These combined attributes, coupled with some clever writers, have produced hysterical lines that MSNBC has acknowledged in its list of the Top Five Best Videogame Quotes [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27091948/?pg=6], quips they say, "Intentionally funny or not, these gems get us every single time."

[ul]
[li]"Get over here!"- Taken from Mortal Kombat, Scorpion yelled this line whenever he whipped his retractable meat hook into the blood-sprinkling body of his opponents, an act that infuriated parents worldwide for the game's excessive gore.[/li]
[li]Duke Nukem Forever might just be worth the decade wait if Duke returns to drop his classic "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum," in a thug-infested strip club one last time.[/li]
[li]After beating Bowser and his seven children, players finally meet Toad at the end of Super Mario Bros. to discover that "Our princess is in another castle!" He was kidding, but it caused heart-attacks among gamers nonetheless.[/li]
[li]Grand Theft Auto IV protagonist Nico Bellic found himself faced with some tough choices throughout his time in Liberty City. When a group of thugs offer him the choice of joining them or dying, Bellic wryly forces out, "Well, since you put it that way, I'm in!"[/li]
[li]1988's Bad Dudes, a parody of the action movies of the era, ends with the two heroes saving the president from ninjas only to be laughed at and asked by the Commander-in-Chief, "Let's go for a burger!"[/li]
[/ul]

The era pre-dating online translators has since been lost, but if anyone can recall other classic, non-Zero Wing zingers, share them with the world so that the trend may be reborn.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Duke Nukem Forever might just be worth the decade wait if Duke returns to drop his classic "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum," in a thug-infested strip club one last time.
That quote actually came from the film They Live(video of said quote being delivered) [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso]. The film was released 3 years before the first Duke Nukem game in 1991. Nice to see MSNBC is doing its research that a person with access to google could do.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Once again, people who play Halo and Madden are not gurus of gaming culture.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
OverlordSteve post=7.74102.822066 said:
TomNook post=7.74102.822050 said:
Once again, people who play Halo and Madden are not gurus of gaming culture.
There's a CULTURE now? Glad to see we're still
Logan Frederick post=7.74102.821983 said:
trying not to take games too seriously.

The behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group

Seems about right to me.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Someone at MSNBC seriously considers this a "best" list? It looks more like random quotes taken from random games.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris post=7.74102.822210 said:
Someone at MSNBC seriously considers this a "best" list? It looks more like random quotes taken from random games.
Someone at MSNBC doesn't think 'games' aren't "pacman and pong"?

Seriously, aren't they a BIT out of their element? Oh well, if the foagys have HEARD of these quotes, it could be the ultimate list of 'known' quotes- cause if THESE guys have heard them...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I gotta agree. The GTAIV one just seemed like a reason to mention GTAIV. There are plenty of better video game quotes knocking around than that.

Seriously, aren't they a BIT out of their element? Oh well, if the foagys have HEARD of these quotes, it could be the ultimate list of 'known' quotes- cause if THESE guys have heard them...
Gone are the days of investigative journalism it seems. Whatever happened to talking to people like, I dunno, people who actually play video games on a regular basic?

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I would have figured "All your Base. . " would have been a no brainer on a list like this.

"You spoony Bard!" Tellah from FF2 US. This was changed in the FF4 release I believe.

"Its like herpes if you got'em, may as well spread them around." - some drunk NPC in Mass Effect

"Nuclear Launch Detected." - Starcraft.
Shortly followed by "F*** S*** up your a**!!" (Gets nuked) - Me.

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
Not only is there no Zero Wing mentioned, but what about Resident Evil!

How can you not include the classic "master of unlocking" and "Jill sandwich" lines?!

Amnestic post=7.74102.822232 said:
I gotta agree. The GTAIV one just seemed like a reason to mention GTAIV. There are plenty of better video game quotes knocking around than that.

Gone are the days of investigative journalism it seems. Whatever happened to talking to people like, I dunno, people who actually play video games on a regular basic?
You guys are absolutely right. This really seems to be a list of quotations they chose because they knew the games and wanted to mention them (eg. GTAIV). Also, all games except Bad Dudes (which has a much better line in the intro) are very well known games, particularly to older gamers. Really they just chose games based on their readership knowing them due to their fame or infamous qualities. Bad Dudes is just the paper trying to end on a funny note.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
How can you not include the classic "master of unlocking" and "Jill sandwich" lines?!
"What? What is this? It looks like...blood! I hope it's not...Chris' blood!"

That's some fine police work there Barry.

Feb 13, 2008
I'll admit 'Get over here' is a classic but how about this classic from Half-Life 2?

"..."

Duke's is just a repeat of Rowdy Roddy Piper from "They Live" anyway.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Logan Frederick post=7.74102.821983 said:
[li]Grand Theft Auto IV protagonist Nico Bellic found himself faced with some tough choices throughout his time in Liberty City. When a group of thugs offer him the choice of joining them or dying, Bellic wryly forces out, "Well, since you put it that way, I'm in!"[/li]
I would have been sure they would have taken this from GTA4 instead:
"Nico, it's your cousin Roamin. Let's go bowling!"

The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74102.822836 said:
I'll admit 'Get over here' is a classic but how about this classic from Half-Life 2?

"..."
Or at least:
"Don't forget to reload Mr Freeman."

Mar 26, 2008
Amnestic post=7.74102.822518 said:
"What? What is this? It looks like...blood! I hope it's not...Chris' blood!"

That's some fine police work there Barry.
Didn't he also drop the immortal "Hey...Chris was my friend too... you know!"

I think it was Metal Gear Solid on the NES where the guards would tell you that they "feel asleep".

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Amnestic post=7.74102.822007 said:
Duke Nukem Forever might just be worth the decade wait if Duke returns to drop his classic "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum," in a thug-infested strip club one last time.
That quote actually came from the film They Live(video of said quote being delivered) [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso]. The film was released 3 years before the first Duke Nukem game in 1991. Nice to see MSNBC is doing its research that a person with access to google could do.
At least that one's notable for being ripped off from someone other than Bruce Campbell.

Seriously, the reason Duke is so far behind on his next game is because he's hiding from the wrath of The Chin.

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
*Holds up a copy of Psychonauts in one hand, a copy of Portal with the other*

Play through those, that should fill at the very least the top 20.

Nozer

Mar 26, 2008
My fav's have gotta be:

"Im upset" - Yosomitso after a defeat - Soulcalibuer 2

"Are you gonna sign this pertition or will it be your surviving family members?" - The Postal Dude - Postal 2

"Blow shit up, a door opens! Its a simple game mechanic but it works!" - Serious Sam - Serious Sam:The Next Encounter

"Dashing through the snow, with rockets and grenades, gonna blow a hole, in some aliens face!" - Serious Sam - Serious Sam:The Next Encounter (again)