Violence Overshadows In-game Ads

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Violence Overshadows In-game Ads

Gamers tend to focus on staying alive rather than memorizing brands.

In-game ads are either an immersive touch, a necessary evil, or a waste of space, depending on whom you ask. Whether you love them or hate them, though, you probably won't remember them in a violent game. A study conducted by the University of Texas suggests that gamers who view in-game ads during violent scenarios have worse brand recall and perception than those who view the ads in nonviolent situations.

The study, which will appear in an upcoming issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, tested its hypothesis by setting up two groups of gamers. One group controlled a gun-toting character making his way through a blood-spattered room, fighting with enemies. The other controlled an unarmed protagonist walking through the same room, but with water droplets and peaceful NPCs replacing the more violent imagery. Both rooms contained identical brand advertisements.

Players filled out surveys afterwards, and the results were telling: not only did violent-game participants have lower brand retention than nonviolent players, but they had more negative perceptions of the brands as well. Interestingly, women who played the violent scenario generally did worse than men on brand retention and perception. Researchers believe this might be due to increased male exposure or desensitization to virtual violence.

Especially now that the free-to-play model is on the rise, game developers will be looking for new ways to incorporate advertisements into games. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, but this study suggests that they should pay close attention to the kind of scenarios in which their ads appear.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6332007/in-game-ads-backfire-in-violent-games-study?tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B2]

cerapa

Sep 10, 2009
So...

Apparently people are bad at memorizing things they saw while conentrating on something else?

Good to know.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Makes sense. When a grenade goes off in my face my attention is on the grenade and not the rest of the room, but slower situations I have loads of time to check out the scenery.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
In game ads suck, they break immersion except in things like sports simulations when you would expect everything to be infested with advertisements anyway.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I don't mind in-game ads. I couldn't care less if, whilst I was going about my day, there was a sprite vending machine in the corner, or a billboard or whatever.

As for the brand recognition in violent scenarios, I'm not surprised to be honest, although I don't think I would notice the ads much if I am engaged with something else at the time.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I remember one. In Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, I overheard 2 guards talking about the new Prince of Persia game, and how great it was. In Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, there were posters for other Ubisoft games in the subway level.

If it is done in a non intrusive way, yes, fine. If it breaks the immersion, no.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
redisforever said:
I remember one. In Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, I overheard 2 guards talking about the new Prince of Persia game, and how great it was. In Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow, there were posters for other Ubisoft games in the subway level.

If it is done in a non intrusive way, yes, fine. If it breaks the immersion, no.
I always considered those just cheeky self-references. What was really stupid in Chaos Theory was the inclusion of Airwaves gum in every fucking scene.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Woodsey said:
redisforever said:

I always considered those just cheeky self-references. What was really stupid in Chaos Theory was the inclusion of Airwaves gum in every fucking scene.
Strange, I never noticed any gum...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
redisforever said:
Woodsey said:
redisforever said:

Play it again, you will.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
redisforever said:
Woodsey said:
It must of been because yu were paying a violent game lol.Not that you were actually concertating on something else.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
So they've put money into a study that showed that people have a hard time remembering objects in the background while things in the foreground are shooting at them.
So what's next in these little studies that tell us the blindingly obvious? That people notice brighter colors more often then they notice darker colors?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
while things were calm in deus ex human revolution I used a vending machine to block a door before triggering an elevator I knew was going to attract bad guys,

what ad was on the vending machine? ... no idea.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I wonder how well a developer could do if it laid off most of its marketing staff and relied just on trailers, reviews, and word of mouth. I've never been convinced to buy a game except by one of those three.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Im fine with in game ad's so long as they fit in the with general aesthetic and fit in with the game world.

Having said that a 2011 coke ad in a futuristic game doesn't work.

Nor does having glowing pop machines in a game that is trying to spook you with every other light flickering and broken.

Nor does Ad's that are placed on billboards and other out of the way sticking out like a sore thumb places break flow if they don't encorperate the game world. Want a pepsi ad on a bill board give it some in world flavor.

For the random number gods sake, make ad's destructable. Keeping them mint so you can always read them makes sense on their end, but Id gallop through An entire game on Double Insane difficulty if my armor was the thin plastic sheet that says sprite on a soda machine, rather then interlaced heavy kevlar.

Ad's don't work In general we are aware of what your drink is now piss off, It's like Doug Stanhope says about advertising.

If your product is good, people will buy it. How many of you buy drugs? how many ads for them do you see? my point exactly.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
redisforever said:

In Crysis 2, there were adverts for Crytek.

I actually quite like in-game ads. Lets the devs get some more cash, and adds some realism into the game. I barely notice them, so why not put them in?

Dec 27, 2010
I doubt it's to do with violence and more to do with concentration. The description of the non-violent alternative sounds less like a game, and more like Google street view. If they'd made the non-violent alternative a puzzler with a time limit, they might have had different results.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Anecdotal evidence confirms this.

In other words: the first time I noticed there was in-game advertising in Deus:Ex was after I finished the game.