Crafter Crafts Minecraft Within Minecraft

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Crafter Crafts Minecraft Within Minecraft

Can Minecraft players build a computer within Minecraft that can play Minecraft within Minecraft? Apparently, yes.

Admittedly, the chance for amusing, memetic repetition is the main draw for this story, but that should take nothing away from the phenomenal device Minecraft player Hans Lemurson has built within the beloved sandbox game.

Lemurson has long been using the game's innate tools to craft "computers" -- machines that, while crude, are capable of calculation and computation similar to early real-world computers. The obvious joke, on witnessing his works, is "but can your computers play Minecraft?" Presumably tired of hearing that same snickering query, Lemurson set out to prove that they could, and while his results aren't exactly spot-on, the embedded video is a pretty impressive proof of concept.

"It is a small 2D Platformer type game where you can move around and modify the terrain," Lemurson explains in his YouTube description. "It's not truly Minecraft, but it's about as close as you can come with Redstone."

Lemurson promises another upcoming video in which he walks through the computer's construction and explains exactly how he got the device to do its thing. Until then, we're going to assume a wizard did it.

As with any truly impressive Minecraft creation, the most thrilling part of this whole thing is what it says about the game's creative limits. Specifically, are there any limits?

Could a Minecraft player craft a stone so large that another Minecraft player couldn't move it? Honestly that query makes a lot more sense when Thomas Aquinas is addressing his chosen deity, but you get where I'm going with this.

Presumably it's only a matter of time before Lemurson tasks his Minecraft computer playing Minecraft to craft a computer on which he can play Minecraft. I just want to know if there's any conceivable end to the levels of abstraction I'm inevitably going to have to describe here.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Mineception?

I was talking about this happening the moment i got good at Redstone. "With all these computers being built in minecraft, one day, someone will make minecraft in minecraft."

To be honest though. I view this as art. To think that someone could make a game out of the poor physics in a game, is just stunning. ((And as note, i play alot of minecraft, and by "poor" physics, i mean completely unrealistic except for sand and gravel.))

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Yo Dawg, I heard you like MInecraft, so we put your Minecraft in your Minecraft so you can mine while you mine.

But seriously, the things some people can do in terms of programming is amazing, especially when it gets down to this sort of level. However my brain is hurting trying to comprehend it all :S

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
problem here is that he now has to make minecraft in his minecraft minecraft.
well that was a weird sentence...
1337 post is 1337! just saying.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
kouriichi said:
Mineception?
We have to go deeper! (But not straight down!)

This is scary. Seriously. How much longer before you can build a computer in Minecraft that lets you run Minecraft well enough to build a computer in THAT Minecraft?!

[small]Yeah, my brain just imploded. G'night, folks! *thud*[/small]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This is just two levels. Soon we will be able to go down three but we'll probably have to sedate our computers.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Until then, we're going to assume a wizard did it.

OT: My, this is cool. Perhaps he'll build a computer in that that can also play minecraft...

Wow. That would just be amazing.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
"There is an interesting bug in here, but I prefer to think of it as a feature"

Spoken like a true programmer.

This is just insane. Also, I have to point this out because I prefer it, but this guy's voice is listenable, and that is just completely necessary in a video I want to watch. He actually reminds me a little of a slightly less nasal Paul from LRR.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Computer Engineering courses are about to become obsolete. Just give them a copy of minecraft and point them towards some youtube videos, and voila! New chip architectures.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Goddamnit, crafters, stop making me feel stupid! Here I am dicking about in my game, and there you go building the entire fucking game all over again. >_<

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
WHY MUST PEOPLE MAKE ME SAD ABOUT BEING UNABLE TO MAKE A BETTER THAN WOLVES ELEVATOR GO UP!

Saikonate

Nov 20, 2008
I assume he made something cool but the way he talks makes me want to hit him so I didn't end up watching the video.