Corpse Party Is Not Quite As Exciting As It Sounds

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Corpse Party Is Not Quite As Exciting As It Sounds

Sadly, Corpse Party doesn't feature any cadavers doing kegstands, but it is a 16-bit sprite-based adventure game that's making its way to the PSP. That's nearly as good right?

Personally, I would visualize a corpse party, as something akin to the music video for Thriller. However, Corpse Party the game - note the capitals and italics - is an RPG-style, puzzle-solving horror game originally developed for the PC using the freely available mediocrity-factory RPG Maker. Corpse Party actually turned out pretty good, and, after developing a cult following, was ported to the PSP as Corpse Party: Blood Cover Repeated Fear. Now, thanks to publisher 5pb, it's finally making its (official) way to North America as a downloadable title .

The game follows the jolly misadventures of a gaggle of bobble-headed anime teens trapped inside a haunted elementary school filled with dead children and grumpy ghosts. Despite the charming sprite-based graphics, it all seems a bit grisly. If you take a peek at the trailer [http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/6680/] (Warning, it's a little bit on the unpleasant side), there's one charming segment that details a child being stabbed in the eye socket until "her eyeball became soup-like in consistency." So not really like a party at all then.

Gruesome as it is, Corpse Party achieved a lot of low-key acclaim for its storytelling, and the new updated version promises "uncensored horrors," updated graphics and 3D directional sound. Look out for it on the PlayStation Store this fall.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/01/xseed-hosting-a-corpse-party-on-psp-this-fall/]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§

What did I just watch?

Seriously that has to be the creepiest game trailer I've ever seen. Is it just me though or has this theme been done so many times before? I can understand why, innocent-appearing children actually being malevolent killers is really chilling and even that picture on the articles makes me feel horrified, those children look a little too happy...

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Don't know the best I ever got with RPG maker was exit fate which was Ok I guess

On a different note its hard to get scared by something that's at just the right height for a swift kick to the jaw from longer than their arms reach

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I don't suppose this will ever be released on XBLA, will it? Oh, wait, I guess not, given Microsoft's childish spiteful attitude. Ah well, maybe it'll be ported for the DS, if so then I will certainly be getting this. It's creepy, it's kind of sick and twisted, and the best part is, those are things I actually like. Hell, When They Cry is one of my favourite anime series, so yeah. I'll keep an eye out for news, but either way, this is a definite must get for me, whenever I can buy it...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
.....That was.....um.....weird....?

That was a hell of a lot darker that I thought it would be, but since I love dark things I guess that means I'm now interested.

[sub][sub]That's what she said, high five! Nobody? Um...*cough*[/sub][/sub]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Where can I find that song? It's really cool. o_O

The video was kind of...weird, though. I felt like I should have been creeped out, even though I wasn't...

...Maybe something is just wrong with me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Must... get... hardcore...

Also, watching the trailer on Joystiq, did anyone notice the additional bit of text added when they started talking about the... second victim I believe, in red, that wasn't there before.

Sinclose said:
I just read about this on TVtropes! Was a bit surprised to hear a sequel was so recent.
Not a sequel, least from what I read. They're porting the game with enhancements over to the PSP as a download title.

Only thing I wish, was that I could play it on my PS3 as well...
I watched the red line instead of the rest of the article... it said "You will surely die here"...

OT: Pretty creepy stuff, I may give it a chance if it ever gets ported to the DS.
It kinda reminds me of a Shin Megami Tensei game, but waaay more creepier, if that's even possible.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
All of that and not a single joke involving the hit song by Oingo Boingo with a similar title? Mr. Carter, I am disappointed. One must be able to link mundane video game news with popular '80s culture. Why? Just for the heck of it.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Well I have been reading the manga for the past couple of months and so far 1 person has died and another is CURRENTLY dying. Yeah both are pretty intense deaths.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Why the guy in the picture being stabbed reminds me of Mr. Despair from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
CannibalRobots said:
Christ... The Japanese have a fucked up fascination with violence, Why exactly does this game exist?
You kinda answered your own question...

OT: Colour me interested. The japs' way of doing these over the top mutilations have always been sorta funny, in a creepy, pretty messed up kind of way.

The only thing is... does the game really live up to the tension of the trailer? Sadly i doubt it.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
What the fuck... that trailer... holy shit. What the hell is with developers making wired shit. There is that slave [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.310723-Mystery-And-Controversy-Surround-Slavery-The-Game] game and now this. Makes me wonder if the gaming community is even worth defending with such stupid titles.

Upon reflection I bet this would make a great game for people with guro fetishes.

Smasngrab

Apr 23, 2009
Wonder what kind of gameplay this game has to offer. It looks like a gore fest, not horror realy, but hey, if they manage to bring some propper atmosphere and not just go for being as discusting as posible, it might be interesting. Anyway, the japanese have done some amazing things with horror films so fingers crossed that they manage to translate it that tradition into games.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Looks interesting.

5pb have done some interesting things [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.264914-Deskimus-Prime-Reviews-The-Madness-that-is-ChaoS-HEAd] before, and I do have a PSP lying around... pity I'm not American though, hopefully it'll see a EU release at some point.

It saw an EU release, as did the sequel.