Average Black Ops Player Spends $76 on the Game

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011

Most Call of Duty players are willing to dish out $16 for DLC.

Say what you will about DLC, but at least for the Call of Duty franchise, the system works. Activision has calculated that Call of Duty: Black Ops players spend, on average, $16 above and beyond the retail cost of the game. Statistically speaking, this means that every single Black Ops player has bought a map pack and then some.

Of course, the reality of the situation is a little more complex, since many players buy multiple map packs and many buy none. However, given that the game retails for $60 and each map pack retails for $15, either a vast majority of Black Ops players are buying some DLC, or a small minority is buying a great deal of it. Either way, Activision's post-launch content strategy has proven effective.

User interest in DLC has actually increased over the course of the last three Call of Duty games. The average World at War player spent $72 whereas the average Modern Warfare 2 player spent $74. An increase of $4 may not sound like much, but with tens of millions of players, incremental purchases can add up fast.

Erich Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, finds this data particularly encouraging for Activison's upcoming Call of Duty: Elite service. Activision has yet to announce pricing, but Hirshberg suggests that it will be a "no-brainer" for series fans.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/events/codxp2011/story.html?sid=6332210&tag=topstory;more]

Feb 13, 2008
*obvious dig at Activision/EA*

*comparison of two popular military shooter franchises*

*complaint about overpriced DLC*

*obvious comparison to anything else that was ever popular*

*inflammatory remark on low age of online playerbase*

*witty quip before hitting post*
With nods to @Tzekelkan and @DexterNorgam

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I'm one of those players that bought MW2, WAW, and Black Ops and never bought any DLC. I never played enough to want a few extra maps. And I still feel like the maps are not worth fifteen bucks. If they were five bucks, I'd buy them.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Seriously,this is what keeps Activision the way it is. Why the hell should anyone pay an extra $15 dollars for a map pack,not to mention that Activision pumps out these things like clockwork because they are easy to make and it's a safe bet that people will buy it.

Call of Duty fans,you really shouldn't take this as well as you do.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I bought all the map packs for World at War, and all the map packs for Black Ops (or at least I will, when Moon comes out). I do it for the zombies. I love me some zombies. The multiplayer maps can go away, but then that means I'm really paying $15 for one map. Hm...oh well. Totally worth it. Storyline in the zombie mode is amazing.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Eh... this site said 23M copies of Black Ops sold, 18M map packs sold.

This makes no sense at all, the average should be lower than the price of one.

Dec 14, 2009

I play CoD, but I'm not stupid enough to pay stupid amounts of money for a couple of new maps. Hell, can't blame Activision though, if players want to be ripped off, a business will do it's best to cash in on it.

[sub]Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, the 'derp' thing was joke.[/sub]

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I let my friends waste their money on maps, I just download them off their PSN :)
I feel in a win-win situation. More maps for £0

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I'm one of those guys that bought CoD4, MW2, and Black Ops.
I spent 30 For CoD4 and DLC, I got no DLC for MW2, and I have 3/4 DLC for Black Ops.
Come at me bros.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
User interest in DLC has actually increased over the course of the last three Call of Duty games. The average World at War player spent $72 whereas the average Modern Warfare 2 player spent $74. An increase of $4
*cough*$2*cough*

Downloadable content will always make me giggle.

"Buy our unfinished game at full price then pay us more money at a later date as we release the rest in tiny parts".

No thankyou large gaming corporation i'll just stick with the unfinished product I already forked out £40 for.

Bacaruda

Jul 10, 2011
I have only bought MW2 and black ops for retail price and Call of duty 4 and World at war cheap.

But I must shamefully admit that I have bought 1 map pack for MW2...

...And 3 for World at War, but if you have played world at war multiplayer you know why you have to buy map packs for it. It's an evil strategy.

Also, I'm not surprised that people actually buy the DLCs. Most CoD players are pretty young if you listen to the in-game voice chat.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i didnt get the DLC.
my disk cracked right before the first lot came out, and i decided 'fuck this shit' and havent replaced it yet.
actually, i found out it was cracked when attempting a trade-in of it.

LifeSarcastic

Feb 25, 2009
I bought World At War at full price and all of the DLC because I felt it was actually worth the $10 dollars.I skipped Modern Warfare 2 and got Black Ops. I have yet to download DLC for it, though because I feel a map pack shouldn't cost $15, and I don't like Black Ops as much anymore (the game is decent but I dislike the community. The Bad Company 2 Vietnam expansion also cost $15 and I bought it the day it came out:it felt like higher quality DLC. If something of that caliber was released for Black Ops than I feel it'd be worth the price.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Alphakirby said:
Seriously,this is what keeps Activision the way it is. Why the hell should anyone pay an extra $15 dollars for a map pack,not to mention that Activision pumps out these things like clockwork because they are easy to make and it's a safe bet that people will buy it.

So, other people buying and liking things that you will never buy is somehow there fault? What do these map packs actually do to you? If you don't want to buy them, then don't!

OT: Im fine with this, if they want to spend there disposable income on this then im fine with it. I really dont see what people find so shocking about this?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Alphakirby said:

So, other people buying and liking things that you will never buy is somehow there fault? What do these map packs actually do to you? If you don't want to buy them, then don't!
I'm not saying that they can't,but think about this. Valve gave it's PC owners free updates to all it's games and the only reason they had to sell the DLC for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 on Xbox is because it was Xbox.

What I'm saying is that Activision doesn't need to sell the map packs at $15 and that (excluding Capcom) most DLCs sold are worth whatever price they are at (Such as Old World Blues).

I just don't like Activision taking advantage of it all just because they can.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, I can say that I've spent 0 bucks on Black Ops.
You know, it's free on Steam right now, for the weekend. And Steam has made a free weekend for it before, too.
So, i got my taste for Black Ops without paying a buck! Thank you Steam!
Now I'll go play TF2.
(well not really, it's late where I live! I need sleep)

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I bought the WaW map packs when they came out, mainly for zombies. But back then they were only $10, which wasn't quite as bad in my opinion. But $15? Geez...

I would like to point out that, if it's $76 per person, it might not have all been on DLC. Remember, a lot of people payed $80 for the hardened, and some payed a full $150 for the deluxe edition. Not sure if that was included or not though.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
Ahem
$76-$72 = $4. We all know math is hard but really.
You are right my mistake.

Excellent dig there by the way, forgive me my mortality it doesn't illuminate the world as much as your divine faultless light.