Deus Ex Devs Taunt Us With Cut Content

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deus Ex Devs Taunt Us With Cut Content

Upper Heng Sha, the streets of Montreal, India; you won't find these places in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. At least, not anymore.

Speaking to industry publication EDGE, Eidos Montreal art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête and lead game designer Frank Lapikas spilled the French Canadian equivalent of beans on the wealth of content cut from the final version of the game. If you're a fan, you may want to surf away to something more pleasant [http://nyan.cat/], lest your rage overwhelm you.

"There were definitely supposed to be some streets to Montreal. There were outdoor locations set in one of the most famous neighbourhoods of Montreal, called Plateau. It's got very specific architecture, called tri-plexes, with twirling exterior staircases made of this old metal," Jacques-Belletête said.

"It's very specific to Montreal, and we'd drawn concept art of how these streets would look in 20 or 30 years from now. We even tried them in-game. Walking around them felt quite special - that architecture had never been in a game before, and never realised alongside a vision of 2027. It was really cool."

"We had planned for a lot more city hubs," adds Lapikas. "Montreal was supposed to be one. Upper Heng Sha was actually built, but it was never finished."

"At the beginning of the project we even planned to go to India. But as we constructed the city hubs, and understood the amount of work it took, we had to pare it down."

Continuing, the pair claims that the amount of furniture and interior design nuances the firm designed "could fill an Ikea catalogue."

Before fans have a chance to purse their collective lips and burst into petulant wails, the duo clarifies that these cuts were necessary to make Deus Ex: Human Revolution the stunningly detailed game you're likely enjoying at this very moment.

Since Edge already took the comment-bait route by asking readers whether they might have preferred more locales to explore, over the hyper-detailed stomping grounds that made the final cut, I'm just going to make that decision for you guys.

Sixty percent of you are suddenly very angry that you won't ever see India circa 2027, thirty-five percent of you can see the logic in cutting these areas in service of a more detailed final product, and five percent of you are still raging over the amount of blood spraying from the goat's neck in this comic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-Critical-Miss-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism].

I'm right, aren't I?

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/eidos-montreal-planned-more-deus-ex-locations]

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, fair enough. Less, more detailed hubs are better than many shallower hubs.

Quality over quantity. Though... if you can deliver both, then awesome.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Meh, I remember the Playstation 2 games that used to put in the concept art galleries full of how things could have looked and the countless locations they had to drop. Sure it was a bit disappointing to see some stuff cut, but I'm liking the game as it is. Yes there's a bit more I'd like added in several areas, but it already passed the "did not regret full price purchase" test for a great game to me.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I'd only be surprised if all their ideas made the cut.

Maybe they'll release it as DLC though - those hubs were a lot of fun to explore.

Dec 27, 2010
The current city hubs are great as is. Yeah, Montreal would have been cool to explore, but it wouldn't have paid off if it meant the current locations would have had to be cut down.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Games often have huge amounts of cuts; this isn't new.

The original Deus Ex was supposed to go to Mexico or something (as well as other areas) which alone would have two whole new organisations/groups of people that were ready to fight one another.

Its not like either game suffers from a lack of content.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Sacrificing content that would have an awesome game awesomer is ok, it still kicks ass. Sacrificing content in a mediocre game that would have made it good is a damn tragedy, but the nature of deadlines and the like makes it a very real possibility.

The fact that this game cut out so much and still ended up so good is a testament to the focus of the design team. Personally, I wouldn't be against adding this as DLC. For once, I'd probably actually buy it.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, doesn't surprise me. I thought it was weird to only see the olympic stadium in Montreal. Would have love to run around my city. If they release it as a DLC, it would be awesome.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
Woodsey said:
Games often have huge amounts of cuts; this isn't new.

The original Deus Ex was supposed to go to Mexico or something (as well as other areas) which alone would have two whole new organisations/groups of people that were ready to fight one another.

Its not like either game suffers from a lack of content.
And the moon dont forget the moon ;)

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
I'm satisfied with the excellent detail put into DX:HR. It's too bad that they had to cut some content but hey, we got the coolest game of 2011 thanks to that!

GJ Eidos Montreal, I personally can't wait to any futuristic game titles You're gonna develop (I hope that it'll be possible with those 250 new employees in the next 2 years)

:)

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
I'm not really surprised. TBH DXHR seemed a little on the small side, not least of which because in the adverts they said that you'd see changes in the city hubs based on your decisions...well I didnt see any, sure their are the storyline driven events but nothing really brought on by your decisions.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, well...well! Nuh!

I killed the first boss without getting damaged once! On Give Me Deus Ex! What do you say to that eidos! Huh? Huh!?

*sobs*

On another note, that ARG thing they had going on seemed to result in a confirmed anouncement for Sunday 4th Sep. The ARG made it pretty clear it'll be DLC from the bit of the game where

Adam Jenson is asleep in the lifepod, on the way to rescue the science folks. An ingame email references him waking up and then being forced to undergo selective Amnesia because he saw too much. The DLC will presumably be whatever happened there.

So, we've got that to look forward to.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I found an eBook that talks about India, saying that the economic boom it had from exports was failing and it's entire economy was crumbling beneath itself.

That would have been interesting to look around, and Upper Hengsha still intrigues me.

Make another, make it good, and I will love you forever Eidos. I will forgive you for everything that you may have done wrong. To explore a country with an economy and climate as bad as India as it's talked about in game would be interesting, not to mention the different culture of India that may have evolved over time.

I'm getting myself excited over something that will probably never see the light of day.

Calumon: But, that means that there would've been more time when Jack wouldn't talk and just look at the screen ignoring everything around him even me? It could have been a lot more time of that? Thanks Mr and Mrs Dev, sir madame!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think if they had added the stuff like Mexico or Montreal to say, expansion packs or something, it would have gotten them more monies without having to develop another game.

Just sayin

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
They should have just cut the boss battles.
I would have also liked no CG cutscenes.
Also, this last one is just a dream, I would have loved way less marketing and more money and resources spent on making the actual damn game. It is a shame that even a good game like Deus Ex 3 has so much marketing when so much of it seemed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. (Dragon Age suffered from the same problem.) I only got interested in Deus Ex 3 from reading what people thought of the leak. If it was just the marketing I probably would have NOT bought the game in the first place. But I don't think Deus Ex fans were there primary demographic.

I think a lot of stuff was cut from teh original deus ex as well... though...

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
I'm hoping will se more of this content in the form of dlc, I understand the reason for having to cut portions of a project and its rarely an easy thing to do so it always great when you get to go back and finish some of that work so it can see the light of day.