Treyarch May Not Be Done With WW2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Treyarch May Not Be Done With WW2

Call of Duty [http://www.treyarch.com/] games may still be set in the Second World War, as there are still a lot of "untold stories" the series can explore.

Treyarch, which has split development duties on the various Call of Duty games with publisher rankings [http://www.infinityward.com/].

"I can't say that there won't ever be a WWII Call of Duty game again, but we're glad we were able to end the war and we're glad we're going to support the title with lots of downloadable content," Senior Producer Noah Heller said in an interview with CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=199495]. "It's gratifying that we're able to show the close for once, rather than the opening. The war is over and both campaigns have a very clear ending."

"If we had time we might have shown the end of the war from many different country's perspectives, and maybe that's a story still untold," he continued. "But in the meantime people definitely haven't seen the final charge of the Red Army, people haven't seen what the fighting was like in Okinawa and I think it's definitely important to show those stories from a polished perspective rather than show some of the mopping up elsewhere in the world."

I don't necessarily want to contradict a Senior Producer, but I don't think I can agree with this sentiment. World War Two is a fantastic game setting but eventually a point is reached where all the polish in the world can't hide the fact that you're about to plug your 27-bazillionth kraut. The only Second World War shooters I've ever replayed are the Wolfenstein games, and while I'm doubtless in a minority as far as that goes I don't think it's a coincidence. Technology may advance but you can only go through so many iterations of D-Day or Stalingrad before you realize you've done this all before.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
What a disappointment. Haven't just about ALL of those stories been told? CoD 4 was such a refreshing change from Grandpa's war.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
SmugFrog post=7.74190.825192 said:
What a disappointment. Haven't just about ALL of those stories been told? CoD 4 was such a refreshing change from Grandpa's war.
Not only that, 3rd grade through 12th grade social studies classes for me were basically "WW2" classes. We just learned about WW2. Actually, it was basically just about the holocaust. We never got into anything before or after it for more than a day and were taught the same things year after year. WW2 needs to be laid to rest. There are plenty of other important things in history that can be taught and have inspiration taken from them.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
orannis62 post=7.74190.825208 said:
I'm ready to accept CoD: World at War, but they better try something else after that!
I'm not even doing that. I'm done with WWII games unless it happens to be some sort of alternate time-line game. If it says WWII and doesn't have mutants, zombies, aliens, or some other kind of craziness in it, no purchase for me. More stories to tell from WWII? No.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, this is a dumb move to stick with WW2. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed many previous WW2 titles, and see WW2 as a very important part of world history (Not just US history) and not something to be forgotten...but not putting it in games won't make it forgotten.

CoD4 was an excellent break-away from WW2, so you think the success of that would smack Treyarch upside the head.

No such luck.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
BleachedBlind post=7.74190.825287 said:
orannis62 post=7.74190.825208 said:
I'm ready to accept CoD: World at War, but they better try something else after that!
I'm not even doing that. I'm done with WWII games unless it happens to be some sort of alternate time-line game. If it says WWII and doesn't have mutants, zombies, aliens, or some other kind of craziness in it, no purchase for me. More stories to tell from WWII? No.
i agree far cry 2 is the only good fps coming out

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
hem dazon 90 post=7.74190.825374 said:
i agree far cry 2 is the only good fps coming out
Did you see those map editing tools for that thing? Not to derail the topic, but Sweet Jesus, what potential that game has!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hells Highway was good even though it was WWII, and that's because it wasn't just walk forward + shoot = Game

Treyarch, if you don't want to "finish" WWII then make the games 10 dollars or something, because I'm not gonna pay 50 for a CoD that isn't even made by infinity ward.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Malygris post=7.74190.824794 said:
set in the Second World War, as there are still a lot of "untold stories" the series can explore
Translation: We can't be fucked making up a new plot-line, and will stick to World War 2 in order to rake in the easy money.

Though, seriously, I will refuse to believe that have "untold stories" until they put in an Australian campaign.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Or a european resistance one. European resistance =/= americans with fake british accents and a union jack crayon painted over the stars and stripes. They could make it like gta where you have to do stuff like whacking ss officers and hijacking tiger tanks. That way we can combine 2 of our favourite pasttimes: rampaging through cities and blowing up nazis.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Make a game from the viewpoint of some of those japanese soldiers that spent decades hiding in the jungle, refusing to surrender or believe the war was over. THEN it's original.

Or what about Patton and Montgomerys advance acrossed Italy? Or an actual campaign, not just ONE DAMN LEVEL, focus'd on the Afrika Corps?

Why is it always Northern Europe they focus on? It was called a WORLD WAR for a reason.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.74190.831689 said:
Or what about Patton and Montgomerys advance acrossed Italy? Or an actual campaign, not just ONE DAMN LEVEL, focus'd on the Afrika Corps?
I'm just throwing this out there: in Call of Duty 2, Infinity Ward did have the British Campaign, for the most part, in Africa, fighting the Nazis (and not the Italians, funny enough), who were part of the Afrika Corps.

All-in-all, this is just Treyarch being lazy, and wanting to make excuses for going back to World War 2.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I don't mind WW2 games. Treyarch can do what they want, and let Infinaty Ward (creaters of COD4) keep making Mordern Warfare games! Gotta love compromise!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Picked up Far Cry 2, over this 'game'. I will never, ever, play another WW2 game again, unless it's another Company of Heroes expansion pack. (The 3rd coming expansion reeks of awesomeness)

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I would love another WW2 game.

But not from the Call of Duty series.

I don't want to see another "AMERICA FUCK YEAH! KILL DEM KRAUTS!!" rampage through the French countryside. I don't want to see another "Pip pip cheerio let's get them lads! Tea time with crumpets in 3 hours!" sneaky SAS stealth bollocks mission. I don't want to see another "ZA RODINA! NO STEP BACKWARDS!" Soviet human wave again.

How about a game from the German point of view, eh?! Or is it too politically incorrect to play as a Nazi?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Mariena said:

I don't want to see another "AMERICA FUCK YEAH! KILL DEM KRAUTS!!" rampage through the French countryside. I don't want to see another "Pip pip cheerio let's get them lads! Tea time with crumpets in 3 hours!" sneaky SAS stealth bollocks mission. I don't want to see another "ZA RODINA! NO STEP BACKWARDS!" Soviet human wave again.

How about a game from the German point of view, eh?! Or is it too politically incorrect to play as a Nazi?
Company of Heroes, does have a complete campaign from the viewpoint of a Nazi Commander.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
cainx10a said:
Mariena said:

Company of Heroes, does have a complete campaign from the viewpoint of a Nazi Commander.
I don't see any first person action in Company of Heroes? Which is.. what the Call of Duty series is about. Otherwise you might as well include .. Axis and Allies, Panzer General series... uhm. Those.

Edit: I know I said *game*, but I obviously meant *FPS*.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
I truly hope something better is done soon, as has been said many many times WWII is overly played out as it is. I was ecstatic when I learned COD4 wasn't going to be set in WWII, and with Treyarch's slap to the face it just seems like COD:WaW shot COD4 in the knee and continued by dragging it back about 50 years whispering "I guess you know your damn place now, don't you?" the entire way.