Massive Cosplay to Recreate Battle of Marathon

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

More than 200 Greek cosplayers will dress in 300 BCE period armor and weapons.

The story of the Battle of Marathon has intrigued historically-minded folk for more than 2,600 years. The Athenians defeating the Persians at Marathon was the precursor to the second invasion of Greece as dramatized in the film and comic book 300. Not only did Marathon consolidate the Greek city-states into a more cohesive nation and spur the growth of human civilization in Europe, but the legend of the Greek messenger running 22.6 miles to Athens with news of the victory over the Persians is the basis for the long-distance race many people kill themselves training for today. To commemorate the battle which took place on the plain of Marathon in 490 BC, more than 200 people from various locations around the globe will re-enact the confrontation as authentically as possible with blunted bronze weapons and period-appropriate armor and clothing on September 10th in the Greek town.

Getting all of those people together and equipped has practically taken more logistical expertise than the real battle. "It has taken us three years to equip even that many," says Christian Cameron, a Canadian participating in the recreation. "Correct armor and weapons - not to mention period textiles and dyes - take hundreds of hours to make."

The cost of each pretend warrior is nothing to scoff at either. "Most people at Marathon will be wearing five to ten thousand euros [$7,200-14,500] worth of equipment, much of it made by hand," Cameron said.

The whole event will occur on the presumed site of the battle and will feature a plethora of cultural activities like dance and crafts from Greek history. The armies will even camp just like they did in 490 BC and only cook food that would have been available to military forces at the time.

Let's just hope that the enthusiasts will be using modern septic systems, or at least have a place to do laundry. Do you realize how bad armies smelled back then?

And it's impossible to get poop stains out of bronze armor, believe you me.

Source: AFP [http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5giXKOki9zwN2XejyaKoeuqaSdlcw?docId=CNG.e640b6ebf4d3ef9d38c3cbe9706a3a05.1a1]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"The armies will even camp just like they did in 490 BC"

Bring on the dysentery!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
300 was about Thermopylae, not Marathon.

Other then that I love the idea and wish I had the kind of money to do it here in the states.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Greg Tito said:

Not only did Marathon consolidate the Greek city-states into a more cohesive nation and spur the growth of human civilization in Europe, but the legend of the Greek messenger running 22.6 miles to Athens with news of the victory over the Persians is the basis for the long-distance race many people kill themselves training for today.
I'm sorry but the Greek city states never formed a cohesive nation, after the defeat of the 2nd Persian invasion the went back to fighting amongst themselves. Athens and Sparta spent 27 years at war with each to decide who was ging to be top dog in Greece. Sparta won but the cost were so high that Sparta former ally Thebes launched an attack and defeated Sparta. Thebes in turn was defeated by Macedonia. A closer description would be like The US and the Soviet Union allying to defeat Hitler and then spending the next 50 years at the edge of war.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Uh, this isn't cosplay. The guys doing this would probably be pretty pissed at you calling them cosplayers, too.

Also, how is this news? Re-enactment on this scale happens all the time.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
300 was about Thermopylae, not Marathon.

Other then that I love the idea and wish I had the kind of money to do it here in the states.
He's saying the battle was the precursor to the Second Persian Invasion, in which the Battle of Thermopylae was fought.

OT: This seems pretty cool, I just hope they can get more people to do it than they tend to get at Civil and Revolutionary War reenactments around here.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
wait 22.6 miles? so why is every marathon 26 miles? ahhhh what i've been told all this time has been a lie!! x.X

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Nimbus said:
Uh, this isn't cosplay. The guys doing this would probably be pretty pissed at you calling them cosplayers, too.

On the scale of ten thousand bucks each? I think this is ranking up the usual weekend meetings of Cavaliers vs Roundheads.

Besides, shouldn't it be the Battle of Snickers? (yeah, I know, only makes sense to 30+ brits :D )

This came to mind tho:

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
interesting but seems kind of 1 sided or will there be Persians and i just missed it

Nimbus said:

and yet it is still cosplay though to be fair it is the most nerdiest form even nerdier than full costume larping

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
You left out the best part about the runner! Upon entering Athens the runner yelled "Nike!", which means victory, and promptly fell over and died. These silly runners making their jog in shorts. Let's see them run it in 60 pounds of armor!

chiMmy

Mar 8, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Irridium said:
I wonder if there'll be nude sports.
More importantly, will there be female nude sports.

Whaaaaat?
Females were not permitted to sport. Sorry to ruin it for you.

On another note, this would be pretty cool to see. I do however hope they have some sort of requirement. Not everyone is built to wear a spartan armor :eek:

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
sadasfdasfasfd, excuse me while I hammer my face into the keyboard at calling this cosplay.

There's a difference between cosplay and re-enactment. A lot of re-enactors would be pretty pissed if you called them the former.

Nimbus said:

Balls, you beat me to it.