Founding Father of Games Journalism Passes Away

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Founding Father of Games Journalism Passes Away

Bill Kunkel, a driving force in the creation of games journalism, is dead at 61.

Reading and writing about videogames has become second nature to a whole generation of gamers, but it wasn't always so. Bill Kunkel, one of the men who brought games journalism into the mainstream, died of a heart attack on September 4, 2011. His magazine, Electronic Games, was one of the first publications to take gaming seriously from both a technical and artistic perspective, and Kunkel himself was a staunch enemy of censorship and media hype. He was 61 years old.

After stints writing comics for both Marvel and DC, as well as professional photography, Kunkel started writing a column called "Arcade Alley" for Video magazine. Three years later, in 1981, he founded Electronic Games along with his business partners. In addition to producing a literate, intelligently-written magazine, Kunkel invented much of the gamer lexicon. Words like "play mechanics" and "screenshot" can be attributed to him, and the term "Easter egg" first showed up in his magazine.

Kunkel's projects were not limited to writing; he was also an accomplished game designer and consultant. Despite health problems over the last few years, Kunkel was an active writer right up until the time of his death. He wrote a book, Confessions of a Game Doctor in 2005, and a was a regular contributor to article [http://www.j2games.com/] about the Deus Ex/Gamestop controversy only two weeks ago.

Kunkel's work, in a very real sense, paved the foundation for games journalism sites like The Escapist, and we will do our best to honor his legacy. Kunkel is survived by his wife, Laurie.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/09/bill-kunkel-dies/all/1]

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
This is why remembering your history is important. I only just now heard of this guy from the obituary, and he's actually really important in advancing the dialogue of the medium...

R.I.P. You did the medium good at a time when no one even thought it was anything but a passing fad- truly a pioneer. I only wish I could have honored your memory in life.

Apr 28, 2008
Holy crap, I remember reading a copy of my dad's Electronic Games when I was a kid. I could barely understand what he was saying, but I just loved reading it. One of the things that helped me learn to read actually.

Re-reading some of his past stuff... man, this guy was way ahead of the times.

Also, it's a shame this doesn't seem to be getting much comments.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Irridium said:
Also, it's a shame this doesn't seem to be getting much comments.
Damn disrespectful kids, huh?

I never read Electronic Games (was more a Transactor type myself) but I do remember his Game Doctor columns in various magazines I took up later (notably VG&CE and CGW, if I remember correctly). Always found it amazing that this one guy with the same moniker kept popping up in different places - usually the nickname ends when the article does.

My goodness, only 61. Not old at all.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Yikes, I remember reading *my* copies of EG when I was a kid... If I tried hard enough I bet I could still find some of them at my parents' house.

R.I.P. Bill Kunkel and thank you for the many hours of awesome reading that you blessed me with as a kid.

Stinking Kevin

Jul 19, 2006
Anyone who's ever written about games -- for pay or for fun -- we all owe so much to Bill Kunkel. More than anyone else I know of, he is the guy who figured out how games journalism should work, and he showed all of us how to make it work, in the independent, honest, unabashed, grown-up way that it should.

Thank you, and rest in peace.

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
Can't say i knew of him but it seems we all owe him a lot of respect. Pity that most great people aren't remembered for what they have done in life until after they are gone.