Steam Trading Goes Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Trading Goes Live

Steam Trading, which allows Steam users to exchange in-game items and Steam Gifts with other members of the community, is now officially live.

The Steam Trading beta that launched Spiral Knights [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112178-Valve-Introduces-Hat-for-Game-Trading], as well as gifted games that haven't yet been accepted, but virtual items can be traded with other gamers from anywhere else in the world, with no regional restrictions.

Nothing of note appears to have changed from the beta version of the program: gift games and extra copies can be traded but used games cannot, so once you open your gift and add it to your library, you're stuck with it forever. The trading program is also very much a "caveat emptor" affair, as reported scammers will be punished but any items lost in a scam are gone forever.

More than one million TF2 in-game items and Gifts were traded over the month-long beta period and Valve said that it's working with other developers to incorporate inventories and trading into their games, with announcements about future trading-compatible titles expected over the coming months. In the meantime, more information about Steam Trading can be found at the Steam Trading Policy [https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6748-ETSG-5417] page.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Anyone want to trade Dead Island/Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for TF2 items? XD

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Korten12 said:
Anyone want to trade TF2 items for Dead Island? :D
What items?
I've got like twenty supply crates (lawl), and a bunch of other stuff.
Whoops, sorry, meant the other way around. XD I will trade TF2/Spiral Knight items to get Dead Island.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Korten12 said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Korten12 said:
Anyone want to trade TF2 items for Dead Island? :D
What items?
I've got like twenty supply crates (lawl), and a bunch of other stuff.
Whoops, sorry, meant the other way around. XD I will trade TF2/Spiral Knight items to get Dead Island.
In that case, anyone want a crap load of TF2 stuff for Crysis? XD

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
now I just need to find someone to trade me a copy of renegade ops

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I guess you have to have actually installed TF2 to have a TF2 inventory? I know I've got hats and such from other games (most recently the Deus Ex preorder items), but my TF2 tab is empty right now.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Being able to trade TF2 items without getting into the game is so much more convenient.

Being able to trade gifts is neat too, although it's not something I've used myself.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I finally used the trading beta last night, before it was released to the public. It was... surprisingly easy, I never had to boot TF2 up and the UI was the exact same as TF2's trading, so I got my trade done really fast and my TF2 items were soon added to my account.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm not sure about all of it, but damn, anything that pulls the trading out of the TF2 game, and into a seperate place has to be a good thing.

Red scout has our intel, he's coming past you three snipers'

*from the sniper nest*

'Yeah, I'll trade you my huntsman for that hat'

"Red has captured our intelligence!"

'oh for farks sake....' *facepalm*

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
Smerf said:
anyone want monday night combat for a few weps?
Sure thing. Which ones do you want? (Take a look: http://www.tf2items.com/id/hijaxz)

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Yal said:
I guess you have to have actually installed TF2 to have a TF2 inventory? I know I've got hats and such from other games (most recently the Deus Ex preorder items), but my TF2 tab is empty right now.
Just die. In TF2, that is.

Dying is what triggers the item gaining from games. Install the game, play a game, die, voila, have a TF2 inventory. Assuming you're Premium at the very least.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I love the fact that hats are now a viable currency. Oh, god, Steam can still support my gaming habit even though I can't afford games right now, all I need are hats!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Smerf said:
anyone want monday night combat for a few weps?
I would theorilley enjoy that, good chap. Just message me if you would like to try this new, GLORIOUS system.

Alright, before I can fully say " TOLD YOU SO!" This might become a trading comments section, just be warned.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Really cool, i would honestly give all my items away if it means i can get other games.