Rumor: Dragon Quest X Is Also Coming To The NES

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Dragon Quest X Is Also Coming To The NES

Dragon Quest X is an MMO? That's unexpected. Word that the game is going to see an NES edition however is just baffling.

Lest you think this is a joke on my behalf, I'll point your attention toward this Andriasang article [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dragon_quest_x_famicom/]:

According to the Kyoko Shimbun (no relation to the Kyoto Shimbun), the game is also planned for release on the Famicom. This is the Japanese equivalent of the 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System.

Alongside this confusing news, the Kyoko Shimbun, also provided two screenshots from the neo-retro iteration of Square Enix's latest roleplaying epic. The first, featuring a familiar Dragon Quest foe can be seen here [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dragon_quest_x_famicom/images/2132460116/], while the second is embedded above.

Furthering this diabolical mystery is that the embedded image seemingly asks players -- who, again, are playing this thing on some version of the Famicom -- to connect to the Internet. How, you may ask? I have no idea. Andriasang guesses that this sort of connectivity must be possible by playing the game in emulated form on a Wii or WiiU console, though that doesn't really explain any of the baffling "Whys?" swimming through my brain.

Why would Square Enix port a game in its most crucial franchise to a 25-year-old dead console?

Why would said port include code for features that the dead console is unable to support?

Why couldn't Dragon Quest X just be a brilliant handheld game like its immediate predecessor?

I'm tempted to chalk this whole thing up to a weird hoax or specifically Japanese memetic thing that I don't get because I'm on the wrong side of the Pacific, but that only spawns another "Why?"

Specifically, why would anyone go to the trouble of convincing the Kyoko Shimbun writers that an upcoming videogame is also going to appear as a completely illogical retro throwback with features that make no sense in any context?

Hopefully Square Enix will clear this whole thing up before I start crying.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dragon_quest_x_famicom/images/2132460116/]

Lion_Slicer

Sep 14, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I hope it really does come out on the NES, so people can play it and realize "hey, games really weren't 10 times more awesome back then! Who knew?"
Chrono Trigger is 10 times more awesome.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I hope it really does come out on the NES, so people can play it and realize "hey, games really weren't 10 times more awesome back then! Who knew?"
Oh so very true XD

On topic:
Fake, sadly. I really lost quite a lot of lung volume ever since I stopped catridge blowing. :/

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Who the fuck still owns a nes. There are going to be like 4 people who buy this.
There's a working NES connected to a working Commodore 64 at my folks' house. Granted it's been about twenty years since we bought something for either one. :)

This has to be a gag of some sort, rather like the Morrowind portable pictures Bethesda released for April Fools one year.

lasting_Child

Aug 31, 2008
Just to clear things up, Kyoko Shinbun is a fake website, they write fake news, it's not real, and it's not an elaborate trick on behalf of Square-Enix, it's a joke article from a joke website... Escapist really needs to check its sources.

For further reading, hows about that time the PS3 was unveiled to project images directly into our temporal lobes via electrodes imbedded in the brain? Pretty cushy, huh?

http://kyoko-np.net/2005020501.html

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Awesome is a relative concept. Different people like different things. Sometimes I'd rather have simplicity and familiarity, and I go play an old NES game. Sometimes I want modern immersion, and I go play Oblivion.

I don't care what's better or worse. I just want fun. And I'll take it wherever I can get it.