90s Nostalgia Soda SURGE Returns as Amazon Exclusive

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
90s Nostalgia Soda SURGE Returns as Amazon Exclusive

Facebook campaign convinces soda giant to bring back nostalgic 90s soft-drink

In 1997, Coca-Cola launched Surge, a high-caffeine citrus soda meant as a competitor to Pepsi's market-dominating famously-aggressive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mountain%20dew] ad campaign; the soft-drink (which actually had slightly less caffeine than Dew) was hit hard in the early-2000s backlash against "over-stimulating" sodas being marketed to kids and was effectively discontinued around 2002.

But thanks in part to the efforts of a long-running today announced [http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-15/how-a-facebook-group-convinced-coca-cola-to-re-release-surge] that Surge is coming back - as a specialty item currently available exclusively through Amazon.

The so-called "re-SURGE-ance" marks the first time that Coca-Cola has released an item exclusively through e-commerce. The item was reported to have sold out within four hours of the initial announcement.

Source: Business Week [http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-15/how-a-facebook-group-convinced-coca-cola-to-re-release-surge]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
somebody better wire this to Brad "Cinema Snob" Jones and see if they can do the same thing for Crystal Pepsi. He's gonna have a fucking field day with this.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Now is the right time to brag for us lucky Norwegeians who've had URGE (changed to a lesser name in the states due to fear of the word's lewd connotations) in stores all this time. It is even in the glorious yellow color that somehow became green in its transfer across the pond.

Sep 24, 2008
1998. The best year ever recorded. So much stupidity and hope that made life amazing.

I was fueled on Surge. Surge... you magnificent bastard.

I might need a hug.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
JonB said:
ITT: Proof that there is a god.
Could not have put it better myself. Loved the stuff, might just see if it's not rose colored tastebuds that are skewing my fondness though. TO AMAZON!

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
I don't even remember what it originally tasted like, just that I liked it. And then later liked the Vault, which was based on Surge. More of a MelloYellow guy now.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I liked Surge and can't wait to order a 12-pack off of Amazon...Now, let's get back at it and try for Coke Blak! That would be a worthy cause, wouldn't it?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
There are so many things from the 90s that I'd love to see over here again, a while ago Calippo came back, and those are still awesome.

But if there's one thing that I want back is Squirt, although it became really funny once I learned English and the phrase "Drink some Squirt" took a whole different meaning.

4rch1m3d35

Mar 10, 2012
I find this fascinating. With Amazon expanding into food, I wonder what other products will come to them.

Any thoughts?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
10 bucks for a 12 pack. I may buy one for the sake of nostalgia, but this is definitely not a product for mass consumption.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
10 bucks for a 12 pack. I may buy one for the sake of nostalgia, but this is definitely not a product for mass consumption.
How did you find it? I punched Surge into the Amazon search bar, and after filtering for groceries, I didn't see any Surge. I DID see 12 packs of Mellow Yellow for 10 dollars, are you sure you didn't just make a mistake? aside from the logo the packaging would be nearly identical.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ccggenius12 said:
How did you find it? I punched Surge into the Amazon search bar, and after filtering for groceries, I didn't see any Surge. I DID see 12 packs of Mellow Yellow for 10 dollars, are you sure you didn't just make a mistake? aside from the logo the packaging would be nearly identical.
There was a product listing if you searched for "surge soda," but it appears to be gone. It was listed as pre-order status and talked about its return by popular demand, so it wasn't the Mellow Yellow that appeared two below it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Grabehn said:
There are so many things from the 90s that I'd love to see over here again, a while ago Calippo came back, and those are still awesome.
Calippo never went away in Portugal, never knew that it had in other places