LittleBigPlanet Delayed Over Religious Controversy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
LittleBigPlanet Delayed Over Religious Controversy

LittleBigPlanet [http://www.littlebigplanet.com/] has been caught by a last-minute delay resulting from controversy over the use of passages from the Quran in the game's music.

The game was originally set for release on October 24, but some retailers have now revised that date, saying the game won't hit shelves until November 14. The last-minute hold-up appears to have caught everyone by surprise, given that the game's beta ended on October 12 and by all reports it was ready to go, but GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/littlebigplanet-release-delayed-in-europe] is reporting the delay may not actually be that long.

post on the European PlayStation community forums [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/17/littlebigplanet-delayed-says-speculation/] claiming that an audio track that plays in the first level of the third world ("Swinging Safari") contains Arabic words taken from the Quran, the foremost holy book of Islam, which the writer describes as "deeply offending."

"I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention," the message says.

"We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it," it continues. "We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game."

A Sony Computer Entertainment Europe representative has confirmed with The Escapist that the use of the Quran passages is in fact the reason for the delay. "During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an," the company said in a statement. "We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense that this may have caused. We will confirm the new launch date shortly."

UPDATE: Yes, it's worldwide [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=262215].

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Is this a common problem? Do many rappers and DJs throw passages of the Quran into their sets?

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
Again, more religious assholes step in and ruin my day. I don't care what religion they represent, they just pissed me off by putting their religious beliefs as something more important than anything else.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/17/scee-littlebigplanet-delayed-worldwide-due-to-quran-references/

The Delay is worldwide now.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Didn't see an uproar when the Lord's Prayer in Swahili (Baba Yetu) was used as the title music for Civ4. Nor any sort of delay/recall to adjust it. Nice double standards you guys.

contains Arabic words taken from the Quran
Nice how they didn't mention the exact terminology used. For all we know it could be entirely benign. Sounds like more special treatment for the "oppressed" over-sensitive religious types (in this case, Muslims).

"We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. "
As an Atheist I find your attempt to remove music from a game I might like to purchase deeply offending.

Fucking ridiculous. Quit pandering to Religious types (And Atheists for that matter), ignore their whines. If they don't like it, don't fucking play it. It's not as if anyone's holding a gun to your head and forcing to you put the disc in your drive and play the game.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Well more fuel for the anti-theist crowd's flaming comments. Fantastic.

BleachedBlind post=7.74280.828138 said:
...they just pissed me off by putting their religious beliefs as something more important than anything else.
Now we get to read more quotes like this from someone who obviously has no idea what it means to have a theist worldview. Hurrah.

More on topic: I can totally understand why they'd be upset about something like this. Too bad Sony didn't have such fore-sight.

EDIT: And as a quick note: Just because I understand why they'd be upset, it doesn't mean that I agree with their position.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Quote from: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20708 follows:

The post, by user 'Solid08', indicates of the specific references in the composition:

"In the 18th second: "kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death')... almost immediately after,
in the 27th second: "kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish'."

I can see how this could offend non-muslims (due to the out-of-context phrases), as well as muslims (for being a quote of the Qur'an). Sony shouldn't be too heavily criticized about this 'gaffe' as LBP is a massive undertaking in terms of content and Media Molecule can't really be expected to utilize a World Music soundtrack and put in the additional time and staff into policing this multicultural 'mix'. However, from what has so far been seen LBP will be one of the best games on the PS3 - a unique selling point that may bring more people to the system than another big exclusive: Metal Gear Solid 4.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I am not an Atheist. They are just as big of asshats too. I am a Spiritual Agnostic.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Bloody hell, why can't they let this shit go?! "Deeply Offending"?! Did the game donkey punch their mothers and fuck their wives?! And why the hell are bits of the Quran in LBP? They did this in TLoZ: Ocarina of Time as well (it sounded cool as well), but "Every soul shall have the taste of death"? What were they thinking??!!

EDIT: Sorry, I neglected to add that it wasn't about them being offended that their religious text was in a game, it was that it was like 12 seconds of it and for THAT they got the game delayed for shit knows how long.

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
...Right. Because Tales of Symphonia was completely canceled because one of the in game characters happens to utter the phrase "Our mother, who art in heaven..."

Seriously. What the hell? Deeply offending? I don't think Sackboy went up to the television and shouted "ISLAM SUCKS!" or "SCREW JESUS!" Why was there none of this stigma for, let's see... ANY OTHER GAME? Why the hell is it LittleBigPlanet that's offensive? Why is the existence of two phrases in the soundtrack enough to cause a delay FOUR DAYS before release?

I hate people so much sometimes.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
axia777 post=7.74280.828169 said:
I am not an Atheist. They are just as big of asshats too. I am a Spiritual Agnostic.
So you reference a movie done by atheists saying such a movie is 'FTW', but then you turn around calling atheists 'asshats' and say you're a 'Spiritual Agnostic'...even after saying that all religions are myths.

So organized religions are 'asshats', people who don't believe in any god(s) are 'asshats', but people who believe whatever they want, so long at it isn't organized, are ok. Huh.

On topic:
Amnestic post=7.74280.828159 said:
Didn't see an uproar when the Lord's Prayer in Swahili (Baba Yetu) was used as the title music for Civ4. Nor any sort of delay/recall to adjust it. Nice double standards you guys.
You know I totally forgot about that. Beautiful piece of music, though. Anyways, I wouldn't call that a double standard, since this is referencing the Quran and 'Baba Yetu' is referencing the Bible. Two totally different religions (And books). Christians didn't mind Baba Yetu, Mulsims obviously mind this.

Now if it was the industry (Or some anti-theist group) who got up in arms and said 'take it out of LBP but didn't say anything about Civ 4...THAT would be a double standard.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
READ THIS UPDATE

Update: LittleBigPlanet developer Media Molecule has revealed via its official site that a day-one patch was just completed and would have removed the offensive material.

MY SOURCE! [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55405]

Zack and Wiki and Ocarina of Time (fire temple music) went through this as well.

THIS IS FROM THE SONG!

from neogaf

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

axia777 post=7.74280.828169 said:
So we can call you a cop-out and a hypocrite then? Hey, why respect your religion if you won't respect others?

EDIT:

UPDATED UPDATE!

Update: LittleBigPlanet developer Media Molecule has revealed via its official site that a day-one patch was just completed and would have removed the offensive material.

However, publisher Sony decided that the "right thing to do for quality and support of people with no on-line was to replace existing disks." The company has yet to issue a new release date for the anticipated PlayStation 3 platforming game.

FFFFFFFUUCK!

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
And this, friends, is why I'm Taoist.

*shakes head irritably and facepalms* It seems that no one can add something more controversial than a dog with a funny hat on without having half a million extremists and their sheep jumping at their throats.

Honestly, folks. This is just sad. And four days before the release.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
What the fuck?
and again for effect

WHAT THE FUCK?

That's in the far low of the nitpicking spectrum, and yet someone, somewhere, knows it was done with the sole reason for offending them.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Koran originally written in verses and as such. Almost intended to be sung?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').
Now admittedly it may just be me and my 'insensitivity', but what's exactly wrong with using these phrases? If they'd been used in English, would we have heard an urproar? Probably not, because you've heard similar phrases used thousands of times through literature, games and movies and you never hear people objecting.

The fact that people are offended because it just happens to be in Arabic is ridiculous. It really is.

You know I totally forgot about that. Beautiful piece of music, though. Anyways, I wouldn't call that a double standard, since this is referencing the Quran and 'Baba Yetu' is referencing the Bible. Two totally different religions (And books). Christians didn't mind Baba Yetu, Mulsims obviously mind this.
I agree, it is beautiful (I first saw it on a Lion king music video on the youtubes ;D). They're not totally different, they're both Abrahamic religions (and along with Judaism make up the three).

I still don't know why Muslims are offended. Neither phrase references their God, their prophets, their religion or their religious figures. The quotes, taken out of context (which I assume is what they are considering it's part of a song, though I'd have to look at the full lyric sheet), could easily be a reference to something else and the artist just thought it sounded cool in Arabic.

I'm thoroughly against any group with a religious agenda influencing a restriction on video games, be it through banning or censorship of certain sections.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I'm going to found my own religion and decree that any kind of DRM is deeply offending to members of my religion then complain to EA and Ubisoft and see if I can make them stop putting DRM in games.

Anyone up for recruitment?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Amnestic, I wouldn't have cared either, but from what I noticed, this is apperently what's wrong with it:

1.) It talks about how everyone will die, and that makes us sad ;_;

2.) It's from the Qur'An so I guess that automatically makes it offensive.

They shouldn't have done this though, ya know why?

My bet is anti-islamic levels from day one!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Amnestic post=7.74280.828245 said:
I still don't know why Muslims are offended. Neither phrase references their God, their prophets, their religion or their religious figures. The quotes, taken out of context (which I assume is what they are considering it's part of a song, though I'd have to look at the full lyric sheet), could easily be a reference to something else and the artist just thought it sounded cool in Arabic.
It's because Muslims see their holy book as very sacred. They don't even like translations of the book from it's original Arabic. To them, it is to be preserved and held with the highest honor. Which is why they don't want it to be used in anything that doesn't pertain to Islam or the worship/praise of Allah directly.