Footage Of World War Z Shambles Onto The Web

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Footage Of World War Z Shambles Onto The Web

New video of a scene from next year's World War Z has appeared, and it looks like it'll have even less to do with the original book than originally thought.

Production of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-History-Zombie/dp/0307888681/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315384695&sr=8-1>World War Z's film adaptation is currently underway in Glasgow. So far, it's <a href=http://io9.com/5830389/world-war-z-movie-synopsis-is-nothing-like-the-book-internet-melts-down>been receiving a fair amount of hostility from fans of Max Brooks' source novel, mainly because the proposed plot is, well, nothing like that of the book. Now, footage of the zombies in action has surfaced, and it's certainly looking like the film's vision is even more different than anticipated.

As you can see in the video, apparently shot by a bystander who was watching the production from afar, the zombies in the movie are going to be crazy fast. Not only that, but when they bite/eat someone, the change from living person to undead killer is nearly instantaneous.

This is incredibly different from how the zombies were portrayed in the book. As Brooks wrote them, the walking dead are straight out of classic George Romero films: They're slow, stupid, and pose more of a threat to modern militaries because shock-and-awe tactics (and delivering mortal injuries) just don't work against their shambling hordes.

Now, whether or not World War Z will be good or bad remains to be seen. It's got a ton of very talented people involved the big screen adaptation, including director Marc Forster (who has an incredible list of movies to his name), Brad Pitt, and a screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski (who also wrote <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B0034G4P8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315383990&sr=8-1>Thor and the excellent <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Babylon-5-Complete-First-Season/dp/B00006HAZ4/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1315384066&sr=1-5>Babylon 5). That said, it seems like Hollywood is avoiding the deep, thought-provoking story about how humanity near death beneath the crushing weight of the zombie apocalypse and its subsequent triumph; instead, it looks like they're going to deliver another big-budget action/horror movie ... for better or for worse.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5837449/world-war-zs-zombie-rampage-set-video-will-make-your-hair-stand-up>io9

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So this is going to be another '28 Days/Weeks Later'?

There goes all my interest in the movie. I wanted a true blue zombie movie. Not some fast paced action movie.
You can add as many talented people as possible to a movie, but if the basic idea is flawed, then talented people do very little for my enjoyment.

Unless it's Liam Neeson.

Edit: I can see why it's turned out like this. Hollywood looked at the book and thought "Not fast paced enough, add more action" and completely changed the plot, time it was set and the motivations of the main character to match what would appeal to the general population rather than make an interesting documentary/film that would only appeal to fans of the book (which there are quite a few by my reckoning). Basically, money. It's come down to how much they can make from as many people as possible when the film is released. Well so much for that, I'm pretty sure they have pissed of so many original WWZ fans (like myself) that they have shot themselves in the foot already. I would have loved to go see this when it was released in the cinema but now I'll probably wait until it's on Sky unless it gets really good write ups from Brooks fans.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
This worries me a bit...
I'm in the middle of reading World War Z, and it's a damn good book.
For something like this, you'd hope the directors and writers would stick as closely as possible to the source material.
I hope this turns out well, but it probably won't...

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I've only listened to the audiobook (which was excellent) and was looking forward to the movie adaption,
however if it's only an adaption in name, what's the point?
can't say I'm a fan of horror.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I like Brad Pitt, and I haven't read the book, but this looks and sounds like just another generic zombie film...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
More zombies? Why more zonbies? The only thing thats rotting away and causing people to look on in horror is the severe lack of imagination and creativity in the modern entertainment industry

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
kman123 said:
The guy playing the instantaneous zombie transforming dude deserves an Oscar.
Agreed, that was awesome!

I was kinda hoping that this film would be a faithful adaptation of the book but i'll happily settle for another 28 Days Later, i love that film!

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
Seriously hollywood why pay for the movie rights to WWZ if all you're going to do is another cheap american knock off of 28 day laters kind like you did with the spanish film REC which you copied and somehow made shittier when you created quarantine.
Seriously for every hit hollywood makes they make like a 100 shitty decisions....

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ciancon said:
I was kinda hoping that this film would be a faithful adaption of the book but i'll happily settle for another 28 Days Later, i love that film!
Pretty much this. I'd love to see a proper adaptation of WWZ, but a decent zombie film that just happens to have an irrelevant name stuck on the front will work for me just fine (assuming it actually turns out decent of course).

The only real problem I can see with this is that it makes it that much harder for anyone to do a proper adaptation since the name and rights are already taken by this.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Wouldn't it be awesome it the movie was hyped as something nothing like the original book, it comes out, and all the hype was bollocks? The movie turns out to be exactly like the book. That would be awesome.

Now we just need to hope that is slightly possible.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Wouldn't it be awesome it the movie was hyped as something nothing like the original book, it comes out, and all the hype was bollocks? The movie turns out to be exactly like the book. That would be awesome.

Now we just need to hope that is slightly possible.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Hold on one second...they making a World War Z movie...with Brad Pitt...

OT:Until we see it in context this could be just footage of someone with rabies

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
i think if you'd follow the book properly you'd have a great movie, seeing as how a lot of it is flashbacks, i'm pretty sure you could pace it properly, goddammit

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
kman123 said:
The guy playing the instantaneous zombie transforming dude deserves an Oscar.
Yeah, was honestly surprised to see a person move like that. It's just... kinda creepy.

But yeah, just finished reading the book cause I heard it was filming in Glasgow, (my home town) and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Damn good read, movie probably won't be so good.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Disappointing. I was really looking forward to the Battle of Yonkers. The military might thrown at this mass of undead just slowly advancing on a fucktonne of quietly-shitting-themselves soldiers, ineffective waves of intense fire on an enemy that will only stop if its brain is destroyed. The wall of undead keeps advancing despite all the firepower and gradually engulfs the military forces who are pulled down one by one. I imagine it would be kind of like that scene in the pit in the 2005 version of King Kong, fighting but slowly being hopelessly overwhelmed - except with zombies instead of giant weta. Fucking awesome.

Anyway a shame it's not going to be like this. Fuck it, I'll just read WWZ again.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Let's hope that the producers (and the rest of the crew) see all of the negative reception and then change the film accordingly. Having said that, I suppose the film still has potential considering the directorial talents of Marc Foster, oh, and Brad Pitt's acting ability (let's not forget how fantastic his portrayal of Aldo Raine was in Inglourious Basterds).