Behold the Best Pip-Boy 3000 Yet

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Behold the Best Pip-Boy 3000 Yet

The quest to build the ultimate working Pip-Boy 3000 continues with the creation of a Pip-Boy 3000 that actually works.

We've run into some pretty groovy Pip-Boy mods over the past couple of years, ranging from a relatively simple Fallout 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91085-Turn-Your-Blackberry-Into-A-Pip-Boy]. It does use a mobile device - an HTC Desire HD, to be precise - but you won't be poking at the screen to get things done.

Instead, with the help of Arduino Uno, some buttons, knobs and a bit of creative soldering, this Pip-Boy actually works like the "real," in-game Pip-Boy. Screen controls, menu selections and everything else are handled by external controls, complete with dead-on sound effects for everything that happens. It's all installed into a fantastic case created by the Replica Prop Forum [http://www.therpf.com/f9/pip-boy-3000-build-up-pic-heavy-82198/] user named Skruffy.

It's a dead ringer for the real deal except for one minor detail: between the phone, the Arduino, the battery and the "dodgy" soldering, there's no room for an arm anymore. Hopefully that'll be corrected in the future; Mr. Pudding describes this project as "the first test of [his] attempt to build a working Pip-Boy 3000," so future refinements may be on the way. It's great as-is, but making it wearable would make it truly brilliant.

via: Hack a Day [http://hackaday.com/2011/09/06/fallout-brought-to-life-with-this-working-pip-boy-3000/]

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
This guy gets my vote for best reproduction yet. The sound effects really complete it, too, so props for those.

I'm waiting for a modern version to be sold as a legitimate, working device that people can either use to mount their smartphones or run stand-alone OSes on. Pip-Boy 2000, perhaps? If so, this is the guy I'd want on the project.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Wait a second, whoever designed the pip boy put the screen on the wrong side. You'd be covering it with your arm while using the controls!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
That's pretty awsome, but i have a feeling that this guy could be using his time more... productively.
I mean it's amazing and everything but... I WANT MY RAY-GUN!

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
AngryMongoose said:
Wait a second, whoever designed the pip boy put the screen on the wrong side. You'd be covering it with your arm while using the controls!
How is it? It's designed for the left arm, much like in the game.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
AngryMongoose said:
Debatable. You could fly in the face of tradition and put it on your right arm. Alternately, you hold it horizontally in front of your face, then reach across under it, and then up, to use the buttons. Kind of uncomfortable for the top toggles, sure, but it'd work.

Closer to being on topic: I want this on my arm so much.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
AngryMongoose said:

That's the problem.When you are using your right arm to use the knobs and buttons, your arm blocks the screen.

I don't think anybody noticed that in game since you had a invisible hand when using it.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
AngryMongoose said:

I mean in game. Vault-Tech are bad PDA designers.It'd be really uncomfortable to use, since you wear it on your left hand and the buttons are on the left. You have to block half the screen, bend your arm in strange ways, or keep moving your arm to and from the buttons.

Eggbert said:
AngryMongoose said:
Debatable. You could fly in the face of tradition and put it on your right arm. Alternately, you hold it horizontally in front of your face, then reach across under it, and then up, to use the buttons. Kind of uncomfortable for the top toggles, sure, but it'd work.

Closer to being on topic: I want this on my arm so much.
But then it'd be, as you say, uncomfortable.