Try our 'Doom' Quiz!

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Try our 'Doom' Quiz!

[img_inline caption="" align='right' src='http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/69/69799.gif']
Can you survive the demon-filled hell of our Doom quiz?

In celebration of id Software's newest first person shooter RAGE, we've put together a quiz covering the classic and genre-defining game series Doom! Brush off your BFG9000, fuel up your chainsaw and get ready to blast some demons back to whence they came- especially now that it's okay to play this game in Germany!

(Take the quiz. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/168])

You'll have as long as you like to take the quiz, and can retake it until you get 100%. Just remember your cumulative time will affect your position on the leaderboard.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Oh, cool, 1st place out of 51...

Well... cue the cheaters who get inhumanly low times, I guess?

(As I type this, I'm #2, and #1 finished in 49 seconds; a good 40 seconds faster than I did.)

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
The last boss of the first Doom is called The Spider Mastermind and it's not in any of the answers to that question.
Didn't know about the Tom Cruise thing.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Doom972 said:
The last boss of the first Doom is called The Spider Mastermind and it's not in any of the answers to that question.
Actually, it's called "Spiderdemon" in the original Doom and "The Spider Mastermind" in Doom II... for some reason.

SHIFTYMACO

Oct 27, 2010
I'm 17th, And I'm not happy, I want DOOM questions about doom, What the hell does what console its now on got to do with anything! And who cares about the movie!
BAH! Ok chaps! whats the name of the doom character?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
SHIFTYMACO said:
Depends on your sources. Commonly referred to as Doomguy, but RPGs and novels have granted him various names. Personally I favor the Doom II RPG's Stan Blazkowicz, which would make him related to the protagonists of both Wolfenstein 3D and the Commander Keen series.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Man I played lots of doom, which is funny because I didn't own a computer capable of playing it until I was out of college. I felt like a crackhead bumming my fix from all of my friends until they were annoyed at me.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
JediMB said:
Doom972 said:
Actually, it's called "Spiderdemon" in the original Doom and "The Spider Mastermind" in Doom II... for some reason.
It's always been called "Spidermastermind" internally (classname "SpiderMastermind", Identifier "T_SPIDERMASTERMIND"), AFAIK the only place it's referred to as "Spider Demon" is in the obituary text "%o stood in awe of the spider demon."
SHIFTYMACO said:
Doom Guy. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar and a cad.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Daverson said:
JediMB said:
Doom972 said:
It's always been called "Spidermastermind" internally (classname "SpiderMastermind", Identifier "T_SPIDERMASTERMIND"), AFAIK the only place it's referred to as "Spider Demon" is in the obituary text "%o stood in awe of the spider demon."
http://romero.smugmug.com/keyword/spiderdemon#792888680_NeN5q

*shrugs*

It's not the only monster in the original series with conflicting information as far as names go.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Eh, one of the questions appears to be wrong. The quiz tells me that I keep getting the question about which 5th generation console had a version of Doom wrong, but I know that it is the Sony Playstation, I have a copy of that game, but it is a slightly different game, but i've also tried all the other answers to that q and it keeps telling me I'm getting it wrong.

EDIT: It seems the answer was
N64
but I thought I already tried that once and I was told I was wrong, but maybe not. Anyway, there was a version of Doom on the Playstation, so the question is still sorta wrong.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
20th with 100%.

I could have done it quicker... only if I remembered the Tom Cruise film, that one I had to think about. Mostly because I haven't seen many of his films haha!

Still, the rest were a breeze!

The Last Nomad said:
Eh, one of the questions appears to be wrong. The quiz tells me that I keep getting the question about which 5th generation console had a version of Doom wrong, but I know that it is the Sony Playstation, I have a copy of that game, but it is a slightly different game, but i've also tried all the other answers to that q and it keeps telling me I'm getting it wrong.
Answer:

Doom 64 was developed for the system and that system only. It's not a port like the PSOne version, it was original with new weapons and end boss.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Daverson said:
The original Doom was in C, so it had no classes. Also, the original Doom didn't have obituaries. Using the GPLed Linuxdoom source [http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=14576]....

All occurrences of "spider" in the source:
Code:
#define E3TEXT \
"The loathsome spiderdemon that\n"\
"masterminded the invasion of the moon\n"\
"bases and caused so much death has had\n"\
"its ass kicked for all time.\n"\
(...)
#define E4TEXT \
"the spider mastermind must have sent forth\n"\
"its legions of hellspawn before your\n"\
"final confrontation with that terrible\n"\
(...)
#define CC_SPIDER	"THE SPIDER MASTERMIND"
(...)
#define CC_SPIDER	"L'ARAIGNEE CERVEAU"
(...)
    {CC_SPIDER, MT_SPIDER},
(...)
    {		// MT_SPIDER
(...)
    MT_SPIDER,
(...)
    if (actor->type == MT_CYBORG || actor->type == MT_SPIDER || actor->type == MT_SKULL)
(...)
    if (actor->type==MT_SPIDER || actor->type == MT_CYBORG)
(...)
    // Check for bosses.
    if (actor->type==MT_SPIDER || actor->type == MT_CYBORG)
(...)
// MAXRADIUS is for precalculated sector block boxes
// the spider demon is larger,
// but we do not have any moving sectors nearby
(...)
    // Boss spider and cyborg
    // take no damage from concussion.
    if (thing->type == MT_CYBORG || thing->type == MT_SPIDER)
	return true;	
(...)
TRANSLATION: The end of Doom 1 called it a "spiderdemon". The end of the Ultimate Doom (Doom 1 episode 4, which came out closer to Doom 2's release) called it a "Spider Mastermind". The cast-death screen of Doom 2 called it "Spider Mastermind". Its name in the code was SPIDER, and the comments in the code called it "spider demon" or "boss spider".

(The Arachnotron, BTW, is either called "Arachnotron" or "MT_BABY".)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I scored 100%, with 10 of 10 correct on The Escapist's The 'Doom' Quiz. Take this quiz [/quizzes/view/168-The-Doom-Quiz]

Only took me 8 friggan tries...