Persona Fighter Image Blowout Hits The 'Net

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Persona Fighter Image Blowout Hits The 'Net

Arc System Works' upcoming Persona-based fighting game looks absolutely gorgeous, and we've got 33 screenshots to prove it.

The game, dubbed Persona 4 The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena, is a joint effort by Persona creator Atlus and Guilty Gear developer Arc System Works. It's scheduled for release on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

As with the aforementioned Arc title, this game is a 2D fighter as yet defined entirely by its stunning aesthetics. I say "stunning" because the English language doesn't yet include a word to describe imagery that is simultaneously quite breathtaking, and totally accurate to its source material.

Unfortunately, we have yet to hear any word on whether this game might hit American shores. Presumably, given the success Atlus has seen of late with its PlayStation 2 Persona roleplaying games, and its PSP remakes of older Persona titles, someone at the company must be eyeing the US marketplace hungrily, but until we hear official word, we'll have to content ourselves with media from The Land of the Rising Sun.

On the upside however, Arc is being quite generous with said imagery. The screenshots you'll find in the gallery are merely the initial salvo released to coincide with the launch of the game's official Japanese website. The Nipongophile gamers at Andriasang noticed these images, and in what may be a convoluted scheme to instill jealousy in those of us who lack Hiragana literacy, publicized the entire batch.

Propers to them for that, but outside of the obvious points, I'm still left wondering what is actually going on in these pictures. I see all my familiar Persona pals, and their respective ethereal analogues, but otherwise I've got more questions than answers.

Can we play as naked Teddy?

Does Chie ever punt that skank Rise into the sun?

Is Nanako a secret boss who fights entirely with the power of weaponized kawaii?

[gallery=470]

Source: Andriasang [http://p-atlus.jp/p4u/]

Apr 28, 2008

WANT!

I usually try to limit myself to a small amount of fighting games, but this... I WANT THIS! NOW!

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Irridium said:
WANT!

I usually try to limit myself to a small amount of fighting games, but this... I WANT THIS! NOW!
Seconded. I'm not big on fighting games (probably largely to me being terrible at them and living alone far away from my gaming friends), but I really like BlazBlue, and I lohoHOOOOOOOVEE me some Persona.

DO WANT! NAO!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Seeing my former girlfriend kicking the protagonist in the face is a little bit jarring. Looking forward to more plot info since this is supposedly canon. The art is gorgeous, as I'd expect from an Arc System Works/Persona crossover.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I don't usually like fighting games...

I thought Persona 4 on PSVita was enough, now Atlus has to go and take another $60 dollars from my wallet.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So, how does the Persona 3 aspect work? Do we get to play as all the Persona 3 characters, or just Aigis?
'Cos I reeaaaaaaaally wanna play as Junpei. Any news? Anyone?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Leave it to Arc System Works to make the best goddamn sprites out there. My girlfriend's a huge Persona fan, so hopefully I can finally get her into fighting games XP

DuskServent

Jul 22, 2010
Can't wait for this, really, they are teasing us with these images I say.

But also, when this game comes out, anyone think that someone will make a sprite comic, kinda like Holy Zen and Blazen, I can see that working.

Also, saw in one of the pics it said Live in the corner, does that mean we can watch others fight for our amusement?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
GreatTeacherCAW said:
hazabaza1 said:
So, how does the Persona 3 aspect work? Do we get to play as all the Persona 3 characters, or just Aigis?
Pretty sure I saw some Junpei shots in there.

Anyway, I'm pretty iffy on this. As much as I love Persona, and as much as I love Arc's fighters, there are things that stop me from buying [Arc fighters].

Like every game by Arc, the character roster looks extremely thin. There are a handful of characters that I would love to play as that are missing. I hate Arc fighters for this reason - never enough content. Always a thin roster of fighters and a very small (if even existent at all) list of things to unlock.

I'll pay attention to this, but my money is far from invested in it. Just give me Persona 5.
I'm not seeing any. The only katana in there is the P4 protagonist.
But I have to agree on the thin looking roster. I thought at first that each selection would let you switch between each game's character, but then I saw 2 Fool cards, so... I dunno, we'll see.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
The official site has a track from the OST as well.

GreatTeacherCAW said:
hazabaza1 said:
EDIT: Didn't see Junpei shots. Confused him with Yosuke.

Persona 3 had better characters, so leaving most of them out would be foolish. I mean, who doesn't want to fight as Yukari, Junpei, Mitsuru, or Akihiko? I mean, come on. Akihiko is captain of the boxing team.

Anyway, I'm pretty iffy on this. As much as I love Persona, and as much as I love Arc's fighters, there are things that stop me from buying [Arc fighters].

Like every game by Arc, the character roster looks extremely thin. There are a handful of characters that I would love to play as that are missing. I hate Arc fighters for this reason - never enough content. Always a thin roster of fighters and a very small (if even existent at all) list of things to unlock.

I'll pay attention to this, but my money is far from invested in it. Just give me Persona 5.
I don't know what's normal for fighters, but 11 seems fair enough to me.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm seeing a terrible lack of Yukiko... As she's saved my ass countless times during Persona 4 it would only be right to play her as my primary character right?

[sub]Dang it i'm betraying Naoto[/sub]

Otherwise woo do want and all that jazz

And is Rise gonna be the announcer? It looks like that from some of the screenshots

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
hazabaza1 said:
EDIT: Didn't see Junpei shots. Confused him with Yosuke.

Persona 3 had better characters, so leaving most of them out would be foolish. I mean, who doesn't want to fight as Yukari, Junpei, Mitsuru, or Akihiko? I mean, come on. Akihiko is captain of the boxing team.

You guys are really hitting the nail on the head. Dammit, needs MOAR Persona 3, content, and yeah, a bit of everything. Not sure if I'm gonna buy this for sure anymore. Will wait for more news to be released

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'll hold out until I actually see it in motion. That's probably the biggest problem I have with sprite based fighters, they may look amazing in still screen shots but in motion there's so many dropped frames that it just looks too jarring to be visually pleasing. I could understand it back on the Neo Geo where system resources eventually grew quite meager compared to what the norm was for visuals but it's terrible for brand new games on modern systems to have the same issues.