A Terabyte of Piracy Ain't Art

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
A Terabyte of Piracy Ain't Art

Displaying the evidence of a crime is all it takes to get into an art gallery these days.

The debate about what can be considered art and what cannot gets reinvigorated every few years. Jackson Pollack's famous paint splotches [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock] are perhaps the best known example of a polarizing piece of art with moderns on one side and traditionalists on the other. I usually fall back to saying, "If it's art to someone, then it's art to me," but this latest piece displayed at the Art 404 gallery in Miami stretches credibility to the breaking point. Manuel Palou is a twenty year old artist who illegally downloaded what he calculated to be $5 million worth of media and loaded it all onto a terabyte hard drive. According to Palou and the Art 404 Gallery, putting the shiny black drive on a pedestal and calling it "5 million dollars, 1 Terabyte" is enough to make it art.

[gallery=472]

Palou included a list of all of the files the drive contains [http://www.art404.com/5million1terrabyte.pdf] and - not surprisingly - there are a lot of games on there like the entire Nintendo 64 library and other ROMs in addition to font packages and expensive software like AutoCAD. For the most part, Palou included only large packages and bundles to fill up the 1,000 gigs of space, but he was nice enough to include the URL where these files could be illegally downloaded. Want to steal a collection of PC games released from 1979-2001 taking up 130GB and valued at $150,000? Well, you can go to the URL provided, you know if you were a jerk.

Like I said, I usually don't have a strong opinion on what is art and what is not, but spending time stealing content - even if many of the games and other content might be out of print - and putting it on display just doesn't impress me. To say nothing of literally putting piracy on a pedestal, Palou was just lazy and went for the big catch-all collections instead of curating what ended up on the drive.

I mean, if he had hand-picked each piece of content to be meaningful or culturally important, at least that would have been something. But with a high speed internet connection, this "5 million dollars, 1 Terabyte" might have taken Palou an afternoon to download.

And that's just not art at all.

Source: Wired UK [http://www.art404.com/5million.html]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Greg Tito said:
...latest piece displayed at the Art 404 gallery in Miami
I'm sorry, but I've looked everywhere and I just couldn't find Art 404

OT: It's an... original idea if nothing else.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
CM156 said:
Greg Tito said:
...latest piece displayed at the Art 404 gallery in Miami
I'm sorry, but I've looked everywhere and I just couldn't find Art 404

OT: It's an... original idea if nothing else.
Oh, that hurt my eyes, what you did there!
Actually no, nice one :D
But I've never really understood art, or well, most of it. I just see random stuff, can't really get the meaning of it or whatnot.
Also, i have to say, he gets points for originality. At least anyone hasn't done it before. Well, most likely they have, but they haven't put their 1TB hard drive to a gallery...
Anyways, I'm the least qualified to say whether or not this is art, so I'll just not say anything about that.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh.

If a pile of soup cans can be considered art, then so can a hard drive of pirated stuff.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
This is probably the most pointless piece of 'art' around, but I still think the starving dog was worse.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
maybe you should have kept your opinions on the down low here, tito. this is one of those things where you'll either be completely right or look completely ignorant.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
A pile of soup cans could be considered creative, a painting of soup cans was considered art. Clicking Download All isn't creative and not art.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I smell hypocrisy in this post.

Escapist clearly doesn't like piracy and warns/close threads with anything remotely promoting HOWEVER a link in the OP goes directly to a page where you can access pirate software.

Technically that promotes piracy.

Tut at you Greg, tut indeed.

Greg Tito said:
Palou included a list of all of the files the drive contains [http://www.art404.com/5million1terrabyte.pdf]
Linking to pirate software. Bad Escapist post.

This was one of those posts that could bite you in the arse. Now when people get a warning for mentioning pirate software i'm going to link to this post and remind them their own posters advertise it themselves.

And yes, before anyone questions my logic a link that goes directly to pirate software IS advertising it. Remember folks, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i said it before and say it again, modern "art" sucks bad.
this piece of work and inspiration boredom and lazyness says: q.e.d. ^^

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I'm starting to think that artists that create (Create being used in its loosest definition) these pieces are just trolls who have taken an art degree.

Apr 5, 2008
While I don't think much of the display in itself, I think I see what he's trying to do. As well as being quite original, the idea is likely that the viewer sees the 5 million dollar tag and it's simply a small, forlorn, unassuming black box. It's innocuous, subtle and not worth noticing, and yet it contains what would amount to $5mill dollars of content were it paid for.

I think the viewer is supposed to think about piracy and understand that while it seems so easy, so without notice it deprives the industry of money one could argue it's due. That black box represents companies that haven't been paid, it represents greed/selfishness, it represents abuse, it represents consequences (or lack thereof). The (price) tag is a shock tactic. Such an unassuming box worth $5mill? Piracy isn't noteworthy if it's "just one track" worth $0.99c, but so much in one little box, maybe people will think twice in the future.

And with that in mind, what is art if not a means of expressing an idea?

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Like I said, I usually don't have a strong opinion on what is art and what is not, but spending time stealing content - even if many of the games and other content might be out of print - and putting it on display just doesn't impress me. To say nothing of literally putting piracy on a pedestal, Palou was just lazy and went for the big catch-all collections instead of curating what ended up on the drive.

I mean, if he had hand-picked each piece of content to be meaningful or culturally important, at least that would have been something. But with a high speed internet connection, this "5 million dollars, 1 Terabyte" might have taken Palou an afternoon to download.

And that's just not art at all.
**sigh**

I find it really sad how many people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to art.

This project is most certainly art, because it makes a comment about today's society. Art is not (just) about looking nice or creativity - it's about chronicling who we are as a people.

At the moment, according to this artist, we're a society that makes it possible to pirate 5 million dollars with comparatively little effort.

The artist isn't putting piracy up on a pedestal - he's CRITICIZING our society due to how easy piracy is. Why list the sources? Perhaps to get those sites shut down? Or perhaps to point out how many of these sites there are, and how no one is doing anything about it.

This piece is a powerful anti-piracy message. If you don't like it, fine, but don't say it isn't art when it very clearly is. People in glass houses arguing that video games are art shouldn't throw "this isn't art" stones when they don't even understand the piece.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I hope it doesn't become common, but I'm forced to admit that it kind of works as art.

To me it's a statement about how bizarre our storage capabilities are, that all that media can be contained in that little, unremarkable black box.